Oct 01 2012
By: Aardvark006 First Son 12 posts

Wireless Keyboard Suggestions

8 replies 136 views Edited Oct 1, 2012

Hi All,

New to the forums and the world of PS3.  I just picked up the newest slim version with Uncharted.  Wondering what any of you use for a wireless keyboard/mouse combo on this platform.  I searched around the forums and only found one thread that talked about it but not in very much detail.  I was thinking of picking up one of these as it seems fairly cheap and would have the Logitech reliability (I use some of their other products and like them).  Any other thoughts/suggestions/experiences on this?  Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 9 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: Wireless Keyboard Suggestions

Oct 1, 2012

anything that uses Bluetooth is fine

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 9 (132 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 1, 2012

Thanks for the response.  I think I am actually going to get this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mini-Entertainment-Keyboard-Controller/dp/B008JGU3YA/ref=cm_cr_pr_pro...

They make a Bluetooth version of it as well but the reviews I've read talk about how the wireless connection is more reliable using the USB RF adapter version versus the Bluetooth version.

Message 3 of 9 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Oct 2, 2012

Well if you're going to use something that small then just get the official keypad for a bit less

Furiously Chaosing
Message 4 of 9 (110 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11154 posts

Oct 2, 2012

I was using a Rocketfish Bluetooth keyboard for a while, but it started having connection issues after a week or so, and I had to re-pair it every time I wanted to use it.

I switched to an Apple WIreless Keyboard (Bluetooth) a couple months ago and haven't had a single issue with it requiring a re-pair.  I turn it on and start typing and it works almost immediately every time.

The beauty about using a Bluetooth keyboard is that it doesn't clog up one of your USB ports.

As far as a mouse, I haven't tried one on Bluetooth yet, but then, there are very few instances where I find that a mouse would make any sense.  I think of the current lineup of games, only DUST514 utilizes a kb/m setup.

Message 5 of 9 (95 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Oct 2, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Well if you're going to use something that small then just get the official keypad for a bit less

Good suggestion, thanks.  I assume you are talking about this?  I did look at it but based on feedback and reviews I've read, the RF keyboards tend to be a bit more reliable than the Bluetooth variety (everyone's mileage will vary though).  Also, I like that the Logitech has back-lit keys.  And I have the option to use this keyboard on other multimedia devices I have.

I'm not too concerned with the receiver taking up one of the USB ports as I don't plan on even using them for anything.  And since the Logitech has a touchpad, I shouldn't need to ever connect a mouse which leaves a spare USB port at my disposal.

Side bar, I wonder if more USB ports were in fact needed, if a simple USB hub would work with the PS3 to create more.

Message 6 of 9 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Oct 2, 2012

A USB is fine to use with the PS3..... some have said to use a USB hub with its own power cord. running a daisy chain of even 1 or 2 USB connections lowers the overall power output and causes a large amount of resistance which will either short out, or not allow the device to power on/charge

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 9 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8193 posts

Oct 2, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

A USB is fine to use with the PS3..... some have said to use a USB hub with its own power cord. running a daisy chain of even 1 or 2 USB connections lowers the overall power output and causes a large amount of resistance which will either short out, or not allow the device to power on/charge

That's correct.

A USB port on the PS3 can only provide 500mA. Therefore a Powered USB Hub is strongly recommended. You can burn up the USB Port when you try to draw more than 500mA, leaving you with a dead port. A controller draws 500mA on it's own, and an unpowered USB Hub draws about 100mA. So even a single controller with an unpowered USB hub overloads the port already.

On a sidenote, does anyone here know whether the USB ports are even protected? If I remember right, there's no fuses/polyfuses protecting the USB port whatsoever on my 80GB CECHL01, so an overload there would probably kill the USB controller chip.

Message 8 of 9 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Oct 2, 2012

No, they're not protected.

Ive actually never even seen a protected USB port on any PS3 or any other electronic device for that matter, but my experience is also limited

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 9 (71 Views)
0 Likes