Highlighted
Sep 20 2011
By: Stopher999 First Son 12 posts
Accepted Solution

Wired Hook up of PS3

9 replies 64 views Edited Sep 20, 2011

Hello,

I had my PS3 hooked up via wireless but now I am going Wired. I set everything up but I want to know if I have to change any setting in my router?

I am using a LinkSYS WRT54GS ver. 6 router. Do I have to do any setting in the Application/Gaming section? I am connecting now but I don't know if I have to do anything else to my router to get the best possible download speeds.

Any help anyone can provide would be great. If you need more info so you cna help me please let me know.

LAter

Message 1 of 10 (64 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39980 posts

Re: Wired Hook up of PS3

Sep 21, 2011

Stopher999 wrote:

Hello,

I had my PS3 hooked up via wireless but now I am going Wired. I set everything up but I want to know if I have to change any setting in my router?

I am using a LinkSYS WRT54GS ver. 6 router. Do I have to do any setting in the Application/Gaming section? I am connecting now but I don't know if I have to do anything else to my router to get the best possible download speeds.

Any help anyone can provide would be great. If you need more info so you cna help me please let me know.

LAter

Hi & Welcome to the Playstation Online Community.

For a wired connection I don't think you really need to do anything, with a wired connection you should be getting NAT Type 1, what hapens when you do an internet connection test, is everything ok, are you online wired now?

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 10 (64 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Sep 21, 2011

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I get connected. My NAT is Type 2. Everything runs but when I had a wireless connection I was getting a good download speed. But I hooked up the wired and the speeds have not jumped much..not even doubled. I don't know if that is normal,  so I thought I needed to do something else.  Only reason I am pushing for the best possible download speed is for the NFL ticket. 

When I do the internet connection test on the PS3..everything comes out good. Just wanted to double check.

Thanks

Message 3 of 10 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Sep 21, 2011

Stopher999 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I get connected. My NAT is Type 2. Everything runs but when I had a wireless connection I was getting a good download speed. But I hooked up the wired and the speeds have not jumped much..not even doubled. I don't know if that is normal,  so I thought I needed to do something else.  Only reason I am pushing for the best possible download speed is for the NFL ticket. 

When I do the internet connection test on the PS3..everything comes out good. Just wanted to double check.

Thanks

It should be normal that the speeds are the same, unless your had a slow wireless connection or bad signal.

Most ISPs give you... what 10mbps download speed?

Ethernet is capable of 100mbps, Gigabit Ethernet is capabale of 1000mbps.  WiFi (the standard G version) is capable of 27mbps download.  Notice that all of these are faster than the ISP speed of 10mbps.

So if all is working with your wifi, then it should be getting you around 10mbps downloads.  If you switch to wired, you should get around 10mbps download.

If your wifi signal was just okay, or was in shared mode with B devices, your speed could have been around 5-6 mbps, and if you then went wired, it could have jumped up to 10mbps.  These are just estimates.

It wouldn't change drastically unless you changed your speeds through your ISP.

Message 4 of 10 (64 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Sep 21, 2011

Hello,

I just updated my internet speed. I signed up for 50 mbps/8 mbps. On my PC wired I get around 45 mbps. On the PS3 I get around 21 mbps..when I was wireless I was getting 13 mpbs. It is a jump up but I thought I would get more.

Thanks for the reply

Message 5 of 10 (64 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39980 posts

Sep 21, 2011

Stopher999 wrote:

Hello,

I just updated my internet speed. I signed up for 50 mbps/8 mbps. On my PC wired I get around 45 mbps. On the PS3 I get around 21 mbps..when I was wireless I was getting 13 mpbs. It is a jump up but I thought I would get more.

Thanks for the reply

That's certainly well in excess of any speeds you'll need & are way good enough for any needs you may have, be it the NFL ticket or online gaming.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 6 of 10 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Sep 21, 2011

Stopher999 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the reply

You are also limited by the bandwidth provided by the server(s) you are connecting to. It's great that you can download at 50mbps, but if the server only uploads to you at 21mbps there is nothing you can do.

As stated above, you aren't experiencing anything abnormal, and those speeds you are seeing are plenty fast for online gaming.

Message 7 of 10 (64 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Sep 25, 2011

Thanks to everyone for the info. Everything is up and wired. Actaully my orignal question is answered but why do I have to disable the Media server?

I have it enabled and I am still connecting with no problems.

Just curious.

Message 8 of 10 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Sep 25, 2011

Stopher999 wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the info. Everything is up and wired. Actaully my orignal question is answered but why do I have to disable the Media server?

I have it enabled and I am still connecting with no problems.

Just curious.

There shouldn't be a reason for you to disable Media Servers.  Some people have issues where the router resets, and disabling media servers can help with that.

Message 9 of 10 (64 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Sep 25, 2011

Oh ok..thanks for the info.

Take care

Message 10 of 10 (64 Views)
0 Likes