Aug 27 2012
By: ShadeDarkan First Son 4 posts

Windows Media Player 12 - PS3 - Codecs And Containers Support

[ Edited ]
5 replies 2573 views Edited Aug 28, 2012

I was very disappointed to find out that a lot of my media isn't supported by Windows Media Player 12 (WMP) or the PS3 and in my search to find a 'suitable' format that the PS3 could play and Windows Media Player 12 would recognize I came up with only three. Of course, there could be a lot of other reasons why other combinations of video and audio codecs and containers don't work, the following is a list of the ones I tested.

I utilized Windows 7 Home Premium for the OS, Windows Media Player 12 as the Media Server with Windows Codec Pack installed for the extended codec support. I used MPlayer to rip a sample .vob from a dvd, without subtitiles, and FFMpeg version N-43418-G633B90C for the transcodes, both of which are the Windows versions. The firmware version on the PS3 is 4.21.

All of the test files were transcoded letting FFMpeg choose the transcoding options, I simply told it what audio and video codec to use and the container to output the file into. Also, note that FFMpeg did not support VP8 with MP3 in a MP4 wrapper or VP8 with AAC in a MP4 wrapper.

The following list shows the video codec (Video), audio codec (Audio), stream container (Con), whether WMP could add the file to its library (Lib), whether WMP can play the file (WMP), whether the PS3 could play the file (PS3) and notes (Notes). Of course, if the file can't be added to WMP it won't even show up on the PS3 so these instances are marked with a dash (-) under the Works column. The name of the encoders used will be listed under the notes column.

--Legend--

V = Video stream plays (A dash (-) will replace V if the video stream does not play)

A = Audio stream plays (A dash (-) will replace A if the audio stream does not play)

MP4V = MPEG-4 Part 2 video

H.264 = MPEG-4 Part 10 video (advanced video coding)

VP8 = VP8 video

MP3 = MPEG-2 Part 3(MPEG-BC) Layer III audio

MP4A = MPEG-4 Part 3 audio

Vorbis = Vorbis audio

AVI = Audio Video Interleave container

MP4 = MPEG-4 Part 14 container

MKV = Matroska multimedia container

Video       Audio       Con       Lib       WMP       PS3       Notes

MP4V        MP3         AVI       YES       V A       V A       libxvid, libmp3lame

MP4V        MP3         MP4       YES       V A       V -       libxvid, libmp3lame

MP4V        MP3         MKV       YES       V A       - -       libxvid, libmp3lame

MP4V        AAC         AVI       YES       V -       - -       libxvid, libvo_aacenc

MP4V        AAC         MP4       YES       V A       V A       libxvid, libvo_aacenc

MP4V        AAC         MKV       YES       V A       - -       libxvid, libvo_aacenc

MP4V        VORBIS      AVI       YES       V -       - -       libxvid, libvorbis

MP4V        VORBIS      MP4       YES       V -       V -       libxvid, libvorbis

MP4V        VORBIS      MKV       YES       V A       - -       libxvid, libvorbis

H.264       MP3         AVI       YES       - -       - -       libx264, libmp3lame

H.264       MP3         MP4       YES       - -       V -       libx264, libmp3lame

H.264       MP3         MKV       YES       V A       - -       libx264, libmp3lame

H.264       AAC         AVI       YES       - -       - -       libx264, libvo_aacenc

H.264       AAC         MP4       YES       V A       V A       libx264, libvo_aacenc

H.264       AAC         MKV       YES       V A       - -       libx264, libvo_aacenc

H.264       VORBIS      AVI       YES       - -       - -       libx264, libvorbis

H.264       VORBIS      MP4       YES       V -       V -       libx264, libvorbis

H.264       VORBIS      MKV       YES       V A       - -       libx264, libvorbis

VP8         MP3         AVI       YES       V A       - -       libvpx, libmp3lame

VP8         MP3         MKV       YES       V A       - -       libvpx, libmp3lame

VP8         AAC         AVI       YES       V -       - -       libvpx, libvo_aacenc

VP8         AAC         MKV       YES       V A       - -       libvpx, libvo_aacenc

VP8         VORBIS      AVI       YES       V -       - -       libvpx, libvorbis      

VP8         VORBIS      MKV       YES       V A       - -       libvpx, libvorbis

VP8         VORBIS      WEBM      NO        - -       - -       libvpx, libvorbis

*NOTE*

Some of the configurations above have reported bad headers and may be the cause for improper or no playback. The MP4V video in MKV containers are known to be transcoded with bad headers.

Message 1 of 6 (2,573 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28676 posts

Re: Windows Media Player 12 - PS3 - Codecs And Wrappers Support

[ Edited ]
Aug 27, 2012

I know that there's a general mistrust of any "official" help topics, and that people actively shun owner's manuals, but when I wanted to find out what file types the PS3 supported, I found them here;

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=361

It was much easier.

Message 2 of 6 (2,554 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Aug 27, 2012

Yes, I did run into that website early on and, since I'm new to transcoding, was a bit hard to figure out. There doesn't seem to be a lot of individuals using the formal names for things these days... But, my post was really directed to those individuals trying to use WMP as their media server and wondering why their files don't show up on the PS3.

It is unfortunate that WMP, even with the Windows Codec Pack, won't recognize most MP4 files.

Message 3 of 6 (2,537 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Aug 27, 2012
don't know if you about ps3mediasever but it much better than wmp for media sharing with ps3

Message 4 of 6 (2,532 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 28, 2012

That I did, sensfan1971, and I still have it installed for the moment. The problem is that those software solutions have to transcode the video as it streams it. This is inefficient and doesn't always produce correct or good quality output not to mention that unless your computer is really fast at transcoding you won't be able to fast forward the video.

But, the libvo_aacenc encoder for AAC audio does produce an audio stream that WMP 12 can recognize and play natively, if you don't want to have Windows 7 Codec Pack installed. If you choose H.264 video with AAC audio in a MP4 container WMP 12 can add it to the library and play it without the codec pack. This will allow you to play it on the PS3 without needing PS3 Media Server or a codec pack installed.

Message 5 of 6 (2,523 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Re: Windows Media Player 12 - PS3 - Codecs And Containers Support

Aug 28, 2012

I just tested the three playable format combinations with a subtitle stream added to the container with less than expected results. The only format combinations that could be added to the WMP 12 library was the MP4V, MP3, AVI combination which would not play on the PS3 at all. Although, all three format combinations still play fine in WMP 12 only the H.264, AAC, MP4 combination will not play the subtitle stream.

Message 6 of 6 (2,495 Views)
0 Likes