Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 29 2013
By: FaCoffinDye First Son 14 posts

Will we ever get a rts title?

17 replies 188 views Edited Jul 29, 2013

Seriously , we have like a ton of fps , handful of  rpg's and many sports titles. Only thing i've seen missing for as long as I can remember is the real time strategy games. Isn't there any niche for titles like Age of Empires , Civilization , Starcraft etc?

We need more than one of two to pick from. Give fans a little variety. Im sure I cannot be alone in wishing for these fantastic and fun games to make a reappearance onto game shelves. Fully realizing most of those games were ....dare I say the name ..Microsuck...but I lost many hours gathering and using resources to build and upgrade my communities and its structures. It would be a nice surprise to have such games again.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Re: Will we ever get a rts title?

Jul 29, 2013
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (183 Views)
Fender Bender
3856 posts

Jul 29, 2013
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14130 posts

Jul 29, 2013

RTS titles on console are painful and you should be smitten for suggesting such a travesty.

To teach is a moment's superiority; not to, everlasting.

Fabulous!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (159 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4559 posts

Jul 29, 2013

Well the touchpad on the DS4 could really open the doors for RTS gaming on the PS4.

Take into account that Diablo 3 is coming to both the PS3 and PS4, yet obviously the PS4 will be better not just because of the visuals but the creators said they are utilizing the touchpad in ways unavailable to consoles before. Currently the touchpad on the DS4 will be used for inventory management.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/diablo-iii-on-ps4-uses-touchpad-for-inventory-6408465

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jul 29, 2013

da1writer wrote:

Well the touchpad on the DS4 could really open the doors for RTS gaming on the PS4.

Take into account that Diablo 3 is coming to both the PS3 and PS4, yet obviously the PS4 will be better not just because of the visuals but the creators said they are utilizing the touchpad in ways unavailable to consoles before. Currently the touchpad on the DS4 will be used for inventory management.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/diablo-iii-on-ps4-uses-touchpad-for-inventory-6408465

D3 is a hack-and-slash, it doesn't require the precision, quickness, and micro-management of an RTS.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (151 Views)
Sackboy
516 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 30, 2013

Civilization isn't an RTS, it is a TBS (turn-based strategy) game. But regardless, there are a few strategy games (both TBS and RTS) on the PS3 right now.

- Civilization Revolution

- Tom Clancy's Endwar

- Command & COnquer Red Alert 3

- Disgaea 3

- Disgaea 4

- Worms Revolution (unorthodox, but still fun)

- XCOM: Enemy Unknown

- RUSE

- Awesomenauts (It is a MOBA/Strategy hybrid)

- Valkyria Chronicles

- Stormrise

I think that the system could use more srategy games in general, and I think that consoles have the potential to provide awesome RTS experiences. Just look at Halo Wars on the Xbox 360, it played great (even though it did sacrifice some of the depth of standard RTS games).

I hope to see some cool IP pop up that uses a Halo Wars esque control scheme to make an awesome console RTS, and hopefully we will see another Civilization game on consoles (Civilization Revolution was a neat game on Xbox).

Hope this helps

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jul 29, 2013

Illuvial wrote:

Civilization isn't an RTS, it is a TBS (turn-based strategy) game. But regardless, there are a few on the PS3 right now.

- Civilization Revolution

- Tom Clancy's Endwar

- Command & COnquer Red Alert 3

- Disgaea 3

- Disgaea 4

- Worms Revolution (unorthodox, but still fun)

- XCOM: Enemy Unknown

- RUSE

- Awesomenauts (It is a MOBA/Strategy hybrid)

- Valkyria Chronicles

- Stormrise

I like how you tell the OP Civ isn't RTS (which you're correct about) and then go on to list a bunch of TBSs and TRPGs.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2442 posts

Jul 29, 2013

FaCoffinDye wrote:

Seriously , we have like a ton of fps , handful of  rpg's and many sports titles. Only thing i've seen missing for as long as I can remember is the real time strategy games. Isn't there any niche for titles like Age of Empires , Civilization , Starcraft etc?

You can buy a N64 and Starcraft for dirt cheap nowadays. Try them out, that should teach you why Strategy Games don't exist on consoles~.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (126 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13630 posts

Jul 29, 2013
RTSs are just really hard to play without a mouse and keyboard.

They just are. There is no way you'll be able to play Starcraft effectively using a controller (even the DS4). Touch controls are OK, but big fingers still can make things difficult.

TBSs are different, since they are turn-based you don't have to be as precise and can take your time. They work find with controllers, and I do wish there were some more for the consoles (side-note: I need to reinstall Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on my PC...)

So yeah...I can't say I mind having no RTSs on the consoles just because they would be impossible to play. And I have a decent PC to run Starcraft and Age of Empires/Mythology :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (122 Views)
0 Likes