May 26 2014
By: ExAseity Sackboy 412 posts

Will the "Indie Bubble" Burst?

[ Edited ]
44 replies 341 views Edited May 26, 2014

On his blog, Indie game creator Jeff Vogel explains why he believes the "Indie Bubble" will burst.

He outlines a few things:

1. There is only so much money going around and indie games are being created at too fast a rate with very little to distinguish themselves from others or enough to innovate. He compares the developers to people joining the Gold Rush. A lot of people quit their big development jobs to go work for themselves or join a smaller team, whereas the first people making indie games were inexperienced and new to the industry.

2. The games will all be forgotten. Too many games. Not enough people purchasing them. They will all soon be "lost in time."

His Thesis revolves around there being too many games. This killed the industry in the early 80s and he believes that indie games are starting to get there. Steam released more games in 20 weeks of 2014 than ALL of the 2013. Even then, 40% of games on Steam do not even get tried! These games are not, according to Vogel,  sustainably good to sell in excess on Steam. He believes Humble Bundles are bad for the business as it keeps people buying games, but only faded products that distract you from buying NEW games for near full price. 

So, will the Indie Bubble burst? Is it in danger of doing so? Or is trhis guy completely wrong? Share your opinions below.

ex aceity signature
Message 1 of 45 (341 Views)
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Re: Will the "Indie Bubble" Burst?

May 26, 2014
I personally share no interest in those titles short games fun for a few minutes but forgettable I wish this indie rush would end already on Psn
Message 2 of 45 (334 Views)
Fender Bender
2599 posts

May 26, 2014

Hopefully. I say it over and over again and get bashed for it: Indies are the death of gaming. 

As said above, 99% of indies are forgetable little mobile quality games. 

Message 3 of 45 (329 Views)
Limit Breaker
25341 posts

May 26, 2014

Steam indies i can see, console indies not so much. the ease of creation and ability to push to customers is super duper easy on steam which is why there can be so many. stuff like flappy bird is a perfect example. 

I'm here to help. If you have a question feel free to pm me. Idling on IRC is for noobs. Smiley Tongue

Get your Portable ID!
Message 4 of 45 (319 Views)
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

May 26, 2014
I enjoy some indies, but not all. Games like transistor and resogun are good and memorable, but games like stick it to the man, contrast, or even don't starve are crap.

So I like having a selection of indie games--especially during the start of the console cycle because there aren't very many good AAA games right now--but I do agree that there are far too many indie games getting pushed into the wild.
Message 5 of 45 (313 Views)
Sackboy
412 posts

May 26, 2014

OMEGAspectre wrote:
I enjoy some indies, but not all. Games like transistor and resogun are good and memorable, but games like stick it to the man, contrast, or even don't starve are crap.

So I like having a selection of indie games--especially during the start of the console cycle because there aren't very many good AAA games right now--but I do agree that there are far too many indie games getting pushed into the wild.

Resogun was funded and published by Sony, so it is not Indie. And games like Transistor are mid-level. They have bigger budgets. 

The others did not interest me either.

ex aceity signature
Message 6 of 45 (306 Views)
Sackboy
412 posts

May 26, 2014

Brink-2-Chaos wrote:

portal 2 and half life are "technicly" indies I guess those are pretty forgetable games Though

No they are not. Valve is a major publisher with multiple teams.

ex aceity signature
Message 7 of 45 (305 Views)
Splicer
68 posts

May 26, 2014

most indie games are crap and i have no use for them.i dont want to play nes style games in 2014!

Message 8 of 45 (267 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8661 posts

May 26, 2014

ccrogers15 wrote:

Hopefully. I say it over and over again and get bashed for it: Indies are the death of gaming. 

As said above, 99% of indies are forgetable little mobile quality games. 

Yeah, it is totally going to be those smaller indie games that are going to cause the death of gaming, and no way those big budget games from big studios that fail to meet insane sales targets. Smiley Mad

Message 9 of 45 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
412 posts

May 26, 2014

Brink-2-Chaos wrote:

ExAseity wrote:

Brink-2-Chaos wrote:

portal 2 and half life are "technicly" indies I guess those are pretty forgetable games Though

No they are not. Valve is a major publisher with multiple teams.

by definition they are "indie" aka independant They own there own Distrubution I dont get why people think indie is automaticly some Rinky dink game studio run out of a garage IF a games good ill by it Id rather buy 100 small  Mostly Decent games then spend $60 every year on some piece of crap Annual title

Then Sony is indie and Uncharted is an Indie game since Naughty Dog is owned by Sony- just like the developer of DOTA 2 is owned by Valve. Valve is not one developer. They are a major publisher with several teams under them just like Sony, Microsoft, Activision, EA, and Nintendo. 

ex aceity signature
Message 10 of 45 (246 Views)
0 Likes