Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 09 2011
By: mhughes1212 First Son 10 posts
Accepted Solution

Will the Vita play PSN downloadable games?

20 replies 5236 views Edited Jun 9, 2011

I was wondering if I would be able to port Shank, Penny Arcade and many other games over to the Vita and earn trophies while playing these games on the Vita?

Or........

Is this a mini, vita games and upscaled PSP games machine?

If so you can keep it because I could care less about PSP games.......minis are poop! Honestly I cant see buying a machine that has trophy support for Vita games only.

I was really looking forward to playing all of my PS3 arcade games on this machine but have seen no post or statement supporting or denyng my question anywhere.

Ill buy it day 1 if it will do what I need it to do!

http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/10/mhughes1212.png>

Message 1 of 21 (5,236 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2607 posts

Re: Will the Vita play PSN downloadable games?

Jun 9, 2011

I don't see why not. Porting a PS3 game to the Vita is quick and easy. That is if you made a port or an update to make it functional.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 2 of 21 (5,236 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jun 9, 2011

mhughes1212 wrote:

I was wondering if I would be able to port Shank, Penny Arcade and many other games over to the Vita and earn trophies while playing these games on the Vita?

Or........

If so you can keep it because I could care less about PSP games.......minis are poop! Honestly I cant see buying a machine that has trophy support for Vita games only.

I was really looking forward to playing all of my PS3 arcade games on this machine but have seen no post or statement supporting or denyng my question anywhere.

PS3 games will not natively play on the PSV they need to be recoded by the games developers who have the rights. Some are being ported and updated some are not.

The PSV has been said to be able to play anything on the pSN that the PSP can play at the moment and PSV titles.

Message 3 of 21 (5,236 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 9, 2011

Yes. all the games PSP can play will be able to download on the PSVita

Message 4 of 21 (5,236 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1362 posts

Jun 9, 2011

Yes.  In fact, what's kind of nice is the Vita has a PSP emulator that actually INCREASES the quality of the games.  So it's like having a whole collection of Remastered PSP games.

Message 5 of 21 (5,236 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jun 11, 2011

Besides BullettPain and Huggy everyone has missed the point here.

1. Will I be able to port most of my PSN PS3 titles such as super stardust HD, Wipeout HD, Shank, Critter crunch, Call of Duty Classic to the Vita and earn trophies?

2. Will the Vita only allow a few PSN games to be ported over?

3. Does it depend on the developers? Id assume not since MOST of the PSN titles have simplistic controls

4. To the others who have replied to this thread thanks for posting but PSP games are not my thing and has nothing to do with my question and Minis.........forget it

5. Basically I want the Vita to be a portable PS3 in which I can play my PSN PS3 games on and earn trophies

6. If it can Ill buy it day 1

Message 6 of 21 (5,236 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Jun 11, 2011

mhughes1212 wrote:

Or........

http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/10/mhughes1212.png>

All PSP games bought from the PSN store as well as PlayStation minis should work on the Vita.

Message 7 of 21 (5,236 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1362 posts

Jun 11, 2011

mhughes1212 wrote:

Besides BullettPain and Huggy everyone has missed the point here.

1. Will I be able to port most of my PSN PS3 titles such as super stardust HD, Wipeout HD, Shank, Critter crunch, Call of Duty Classic to the Vita and earn trophies?

2. Will the Vita only allow a few PSN games to be ported over?

3. Does it depend on the developers? Id assume not since MOST of the PSN titles have simplistic controls

4. To the others who have replied to this thread thanks for posting but PSP games are not my thing and has nothing to do with my question and Minis.........forget it

5. Basically I want the Vita to be a portable PS3 in which I can play my PSN PS3 games on and earn trophies

6. If it can Ill buy it day 1

1. No, PS3 games aren't normally compatible with the Vita.  The only way to do something like that would be if they changed the code to make the games compatible with the Vita.

2. Well since you can't port PS3 games to your Vita, then I guess no, none can be ported over.

3. Well it DOES depend on whether they would make a remake or not.  Which I'm assuming most would not, unless they made a whole new game.

The Vita isn't really meant to be a "Portable PS3", it's meant to be its own console.  We didn't see a whole bunch of PS2 ports on the PSP, so I don't expect we will see a whole bunch of PS3 ports over to the Vita.  It will have its own independent library of games.

While the Vita is very powerful, it is NOT as powerful as a PS3, so you can't just buy a PS3 game on the Store and then just expect to play it on the Vita.  They also use different coding systems.

Message 8 of 21 (5,236 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 12, 2011

I was wondering the same thing myself as I want to play Scott Pilgrim VS. the World: The Game on my PSV.

I was told by someone that it would be able to play downloadable games off the PSN but I think the person might have thought I meant in general if it would be possible and not specifically certain titles.

This is also one of the main reasons why I want to get the PSV because I want to play the PSN arcade titles on the go.  Those games aren't really the kind like PS3 retail Disk games and would think it may be possible, but seeing as games already on Gamestop's website like SuperStarDust at $39.99, I'm guessing that most or all will not.

I like the arcade titles a lot more for portable devices rather than the high end looking games on the go, but I still plan on getting one since it looks like it will be fun to play with regardless if I'm going to be playing games on it.

I just hope arcade titles will be playable as well.

Message 9 of 21 (5,236 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Jun 12, 2011

Bulletpainpills wrote:

I don't see why not. Porting a PS3 game to the Vita is quick and easy. That is if you made a port or an update to make it functional.

LOL! No, wrong answer!

The PS3 and PSV are not compatible. There are significant differences in the hardware, so PS3 games will not run on the PSV without being recompiled (and at least partially re-written) to run on the PSV hardware. This is something the developer would have to do, and they are more likely to make new games than port old ones.

So, no, it will not be a portable PS3 in the sense you are asking about.

If all you are looking for is a portable way to play PS3 titles, then you are out of luck. The PSV is absolutely not going to do that. If you are looking for a portable system that will be able to play console quality games, then the PSV will probably deliver.

To be fair to the people who you say, "missed the point", your question was, "Will the Vita play PSN games?" So the simple answer to your question is yes, because it will play PSN games for the PSP. But no, it will not play PS3 games (PSN or otherwise).

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 10 of 21 (5,236 Views)
0 Likes