Gaming Beast
1932 posts

Re: Will the PS4 be compatible to play PS3 games?

Mar 24, 2013
Captain this generation is "empowered" exactly as you have described and it has hurt more than helped...

I have Both my PS3 and Dev PS3 Sitting on my gaming center and I will add the PS4 right next to them this fall. Sure it would be great to just move my save data over, but the PS4 is complete new Technology and empowers developers unlike ever before.

So for all that decide they are not going to evolve with the rest of us, you can just sit back and watch it live on your friends profiles.
Message 31 of 56 (2,288 Views)
Gaming Beast
2120 posts

Mar 24, 2013

Not trying to argue or anything because it does not really matter in the long run anyway. But you should look at the new york times article out last year about haw gaming has droped 30% in the last 5 years and 11% of that was in the last year. Something is going on that is wrong. So I guess we will find out in the years to come. Starting with the end of this year with the ps4. I know this will be the first one I will not buy sence gaming has started. I have had everything sony sold at or around launch. But not this time.

Happy Gaming

Message 32 of 56 (2,285 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6211 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2013

I will paste this from another thread (something simlar talking about will PS2 games work on PS3) and elaborate a bit too after:

da1writer wrote:

cainableadam400 wrote:
Also the 500gb don't play ps2 games

How did this come back from the dead.

If anyone ever thinks they will bring PS2 compatibility back to the PS3, You'll have to look at this from a business perspective.

I'm sure Sony did the number crunching but /I'll take a stab to make it simple. Let's say the PS2 parts cost $30 (the GPU and CPU together), since Sony cut it out it mostly saved them a bit of money. People don't think so but really it did. If on average 13 million PS3's are sold a year (and this is a good estimate since in 6 years on the market, the PS3 sold over 77 million units according to the IDC), this means the PS3 gains a cost savings of roughly 390 Million dollars a year. Discounts due to bulk purchases could warrant maybe hallf that amount but that's still alot.

Selling PS2 collections in HD/3D/ trophy added version is so viably profitable, and selling repackaged goods is something all gaming companies do hardware (Nintendo does this alot) and software (Sony now) side of things, nothing new really. These companies will always try to save money is some department in order to make money in another.

The PS4 is going to go down the same route - if soldering PS3 parts costs $50 in parts on to the PS4 board and they sell just 10 million PS4's a year (lowest average), that's a 500 million dollars in cost savings. If they can sell the goods (PS3 games,PS2 games, etc.) back to us via repackaging through the Gaikai service as an alternative option at a price that gains them a profit but saves on cost of the system itself for the conumer - this is the best route to take.

Now people like the guy above me (post  above), mention they will be not buying a PS4 at launch is ok, people do not need to attack or negotiate down anyone's purchasing habits. I will mention that if you have a PS3 library you are still trying to wittle down but still want to get a PS4 in order to continue playing them on it makes no sense on a business sense whatsoever (especially Sony who makes money off of Software - not hardware console wise). Say these words to yourself (FantasyPlayer, this is directed to anyone btw - not you) and see if this makes any sense really.

Gamestop (or whoever you will be purchasing games from): "Hi sir/Madam, how can I help you?"

You: "Oh I'd like to buy a PS4..."

Gamestop: "Great choice sir, what games would you like to grab as well! May I suggest the newest Killzone... or Infamous!"

You: No,no, no. I'm just getting the PS4 to play my PS3 games but thanks for asking."

Gamestop: "..."

Sony from afar: "..."

People who beat their PS3 games already, traded in their PS3 and games, and are buying the PS4 in the same store for PS4 GAMES:

"..."

You *after looking around* : "Hey, I can do whatever I want with my hobby, I'm buying the PS4 for my PS3 games ok."

Just doesn't sound right no matter how you justify it, you can disagree mind you for what YOU want but on a business platform side of things - it still doesn't make sense. Yes, it would be nice not to have a PS3 and PS4 to play games for nastalgia and convenience reasons but what's set in stone no matter hown many times we try to throw water against it to rub it away just isn't going to change things Sony has plans for it. Having the the PS4 around the now economic starting point of $400 range requires cutting some things. With my cost savings mentioned in my qoute, it makes sense to just not bother doing a PS3 ordeal again of having hardware Backwards Compatibility, Removing partial by doing half emulation and hardware (and doing a shoddy job at it), and then upsetting the small nastalgia user base (who absolutely don't make up the MAJORITY of PS3 owners mind you, 75 - 90% of PS3 owners either don't own a BC PS3 or if they do they have't popped in a PS2 game in years because of the large PS3 library) by removing it entirely - it's best to find an alternative route for a couple people and provide the normal consumer an affordable console that is also qoute powerful for NEXT GEN games. 

The Gaikai service will provide that nastalgia factor for those who want to play games back in the day, it will be something somewhat simliar to what Nintendo does with their Virtual Console service for those who can't plug in their past NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube titles into the console because those past hardware boards are not part of the Wii and Wii U. Disc Based Backwards compatibility may be removed from the PS4 equation but Sony is going to provide someway to play your old games through the Gaikai service via a subscription (aka a Premium Playstation Plus model) or more so I wouldn't be surprised in an Onlive business model (Try, Rent, Buy Cloud Games).

A small vocal amount of people are making a big fuss over this just like the earlier PS3 days but two things won't change: #1 Once Sony does something, they don't ever revert back no matter how much push is given - they do choose alternatives though (Kill PS2 backward compatibility, see that a few cry over it, Release Collections in one Disc packages with HD,3D,Trophies). #2 Nastalgia elitist swear up and down that they will not buy Sony's Next Platform, when really it depends on timing, funds, or how many of their friends have moved on (PS2 owners for the longest time said they would never get the PS3 after Sony nixed the BC for those games but if you were to find those same users who said that now own a PS3 - just not at the beginning of it's life cycle. They are also not playing PS2 tiles but are happier with some of the HD PS2 Collections released more than the ok emulation before anyhow. God of War 1 and 2 and the PSP titles look and run fantastic in HD/3D @ 60FPS compared to the 480p @ ~20fps emulation crap). 

Convenience and Nastalgia sound nice and all but if I was Sony or any of the other Hardware Company for that matter - it sounds so much better money wise to charge customers again for titles through another pipeline once again since the last strategy worked out well (HD PS2 Collections.) There are people who still have an alive and kicking original PS3 that plays PS1 AND PS2 games but those same people are so behind in playing PS3 games and are floored by how many PS3 games they feel they need to Play, I'm confidet to say they have not touched a PS2 DVD/CD in years. You know what the normal economically strained consumer wants and what hardware sales slowing down shows - they want something new from platform makers they trust but more so at an affordable price. There's no way in hell is Sony going to Pull a $599/$499 debacle again in order to appease a couple of people who want to buy the PS4 to play PS3 games when they can just chase after the larger audience that want to experience the next big thing, the newest games from the Playstation brand, from the Playstation 4 at a price that people will be ok with. If cutting out BC allows Sony to get the PS4 at a fantastic price point for ANYONE to jump on, I'll happily try to hurry to beat my 360 and PS3 games so I can sell them and the consoles to offset the cost to buy the newest thing from these talented studios in the game industry.

I don't know about you but I'm going to be buying the PS4 to play PS4 games like the rest of normal consumer base. If I want to play old games I'll keep my PS3 or jump on that Gaikai service (which most likely won't happen but at least I know it's there). Everything about the PS4 impresses me and BC Disc wise going the way of the Dodo is not going to change my mind, nor anyone elses. The BC devoted can stand on the sidelines all they want but eventually like any athlete in sport - they eventually want to play in the game like the rest - time is all that will hold them back. I feel sorry a bit for these people that will be like that - these very people might be fantastic to play against or with online with and I'll never know.... 

Message 33 of 56 (2,272 Views)
Gaming Beast
2120 posts

Mar 24, 2013

As always on subjects like this only time will tell the true story. In a couple of years from now I hope yaw ( yes I am southern ) are right and I am wrong. It always holds true in sales of a product that if you give people what they want they will buy and if you do not it will all fad away. I just gave my sd tv away. The biggest one you could buy 7 years ago. Not worth watching now that I got my flat screen. Never thought that would happen also. I remember holding a transistor radio whin I was a kid ( am only at the time ) thinking it does not get better than this. Man didn't it though. I have seen a lot of things come and go people said at the time would never go away.

Happy Gaming. 

Message 34 of 56 (2,262 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 25, 2013

I would suggest that you make the ps4 able to play ps1-3 games. I have owned all three systems and have bought many games and I think it is ridiculous that ps3 is not backwards compatible. If I have bought all of your consoles and paid for PS games I think its just greedy of you to ask me to buy them again for download or not offer them AT ALL! Make it about being fair to your loyal gamers not about making money and screwing over your fans for an extra $!

Message 35 of 56 (2,013 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6211 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 25, 2013

Claptrap_Zap wrote:

I would suggest that you make the ps4 able to play ps1-3 games. I have owned all three systems and have bought many games and I think it is ridiculous that ps3 is not backwards compatible. If I have bought all of your consoles and paid for PS games I think its just greedy of you to ask me to buy them again for download or not offer them AT ALL! Make it about being fair to your loyal gamers not about making money and screwing over your fans for an extra $

Too late, earplugs were put in mid-PS3 cycle.

Sony pulled PS2 Backwards Compatibility on PS3 to RESELL Franchise Collections in HD/3D/with Trophy Support and it was the best business decision they did. The Backwards compatibility or PS2 games sucked anyway - I'll take 1080p/720p with 3D support @ 60fps (and Trophy support) over the shoddy 480p @ ~20fps Backwards Compatibility (and not all games worked either). Sony isn't here for charity's sake or to be your best friend in the whole wide world - they are a company in the gaming business to MAKE MONEY, could care less how you feel. If you read my post above, you would understand popping internal PS3 parts (RSX and Cell) inside the PS4 would bring up the cost of the console, Sony is most likely aiming for a low $399 price point - cutting out Backwards compatibility actually brings down the cost of the console and saves money for Sony AND the normal Consumer, which is great in this horrible economic state we are in.

Again, let's say at the lowest degree that the RSX and Cell cost $50 bundled each due to bulk orders, if every PS4 had them and PS4 sells 10 million consoles a year on average (most likely will be more but we'll use this), that's 500 million dollars in potential waste. That money could have been put towards Advertising, something Sony has been drastically lacking these past few years or if they just don't include PS3 architecture inside of the PS4  they can toss the savings to the consumer (which translates to the PS4 being more affordable) which is very rare for any company to do.

It has already been mentioned before that Sony does not really read these forums that thoroughly btw, so your voice may very much be unheard. Even if they did see your post, Sony already has a plan set for those who want to play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games on the PS4 and their purchase and Recent announcement during the PS4 conference of Gaikai explained already. I originally thought it's going to be a Playstion Plus Premium subscription but it really would not be a viable good tactic, as it would really dictate what Sony could/should allow to these users - not everyone is a Playstation Plus member right now  as it is. Doesn't mean this idea should be canned but should be offered after releasing Gaikai's BC Library in the form Sony already does with their Video Store and what Onlive does - Try (like Sony's current Trial games Store Feature), Rent (Rent a weeks, Month, 3 months worth, etc), and purchase (normal and discounted) cloud games (PS3,PS2,PS1). People also mention that Sony was very cagey about saying PS3 will be on Gaikai service but I believe the reasoning is that Sony very much is trying to find a way to have PS3 games run well throught the Gaikai servers and they might be trying to link your purchases on PSN through the Gaikai services (aka, they might be trying to find a way to allow you to play your already purchased titles by linking your PSN account purchase history through Gaikai). We of course don't know much about Gaikai but hopefully that can be explained better at E3 instead of the Wonderbook blunder from last year

Message 36 of 56 (2,006 Views)
Sackboy
573 posts

Mar 25, 2013

DragonIrons wrote:

As for the guy a few posts back, Yes I do have a vcr next to my blu-ray player (my PS3). And I still have the PS2 hooked up (to a new 40" flatscreen).

what does your mother think about all that clutter in her basement?  

do you hoard electronics or something?

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Message 37 of 56 (1,986 Views)
Sackboy
573 posts

Mar 25, 2013

DJHaole wrote:
Captain this generation is "empowered" exactly as you have described and it has hurt more than helped...

I have Both my PS3 and Dev PS3 Sitting on my gaming center and I will add the PS4 right next to them this fall. Sure it would be great to just move my save data over, but the PS4 is complete new Technology and empowers developers unlike ever before.

So for all that decide they are not going to evolve with the rest of us, you can just sit back and watch it live on your friends profiles.

your **bleep** high if you really think "that system" is coming out this Xmas, they cant even get games out on time.

and i love your corporate fanboy jargon"the PS4 is complete new Technology and empowers developers unlike (n)ever before"

i watched the same video last month and i didnt really see ANY graphical improvments whatsoever in the game previews, let alone even a glimpse of the actual system.

you keep towing that company line and hug those nutz a little tighter k honey?

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
Message 38 of 56 (1,985 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
573 posts

Mar 25, 2013

da1writer wrote:

Again, let's say at the lowest degree that the RSX and Cell cost $50 bundled each due to bulk orders, if every PS4 had them and PS4 sells 10 million consoles a year on average (most likely will be more but we'll use this), that's 500 million dollars in potential waste. That money could have been put towards Advertising, something Sony has been drastically lacking these past few years or if they just don't include PS3 architecture inside of the PS4  they can toss the savings to the consumer (which translates to the PS4 being more affordable) which is very rare for any company to do.
spoken like a true "sackboy" "
"dont let me continue to enjoy what ive already bought from you...advertise some new **bleep** for me to buy instead!"
you must be one of those people who equates their self worth to what they posess..?

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
Message 39 of 56 (1,983 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2624 posts

Mar 25, 2013

In a couple of years everyone will own a PS4 and no one will be playing old games because no one will care about the old games anymore.  Everyone will be playing PS4 games and enjoying everything that they have to offer.  Load times will be a thing of the past, slowdown will be a thing of the past, having to wait for a game to completely download before playing it will be a thing of the past.  I probably will do what I did with the PS3 and wait until the PS4 has been out for a year and had it's first price drop then I will get it.  By then I will have beat all of the good PS3 games and I will be ready to trade in my PS3 as well as all of my games and accessories.

Play-Asia.com - Buy Games & Codes for PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U and PC / Mac.
Message 40 of 56 (1,980 Views)