Reply
PlayStation Support
Registered: 01/30/2013
Online
5925 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be able to play PS3 Games??

Aug 9, 2013

Hi all,

 

It's great to be passionate about your points of view, but please be polite to each other while expressing it.  I don't expect everyone to agree with each other, but I expect you to be civil even in disagreement, no make that especially in disagreement.  

 

Thanks,

U--J

PlayStation Support Guy @ www.playstationsupportforum.com
Message 21 of 34 (6,924 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/06/2008
Offline
1480 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be able to play PS3 Games??

Aug 9, 2013
@cross12095 - if it is true about what you say about the ps1&ps2 games which I'm not claiming it isn't it wouldn't solve any problems. Answer one question for me... What ps3 systems play ps1&ps2 games. That's right the older consoles. The newer ps3s aren't b/c compatible right? So with that being said let me say this. The ones that own an older system that is b/c aren't getting rid of their systems... Like myself. Hell even if you have a newer system that isn't b/c you would be stupid to sell it. If you are purchasing ps4 you are more than likely getting PS+. Keeping ps3=free games. And I know what people are gonna say... PS+ is a ripoff. If you think so quit gaming and take up quilting.
Message 22 of 34 (6,915 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 03/01/2009
Offline
809 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be able to play PS3 Games??

Aug 9, 2013

waynefiend wrote:
@cross12095 - if it is true about what you say about the ps1&ps2 games which I'm not claiming it isn't it wouldn't solve any problems. Answer one question for me... What ps3 systems play ps1&ps2 games. That's right the older consoles. The newer ps3s aren't b/c compatible right? So with that being said let me say this. The ones that own an older system that is b/c aren't getting rid of their systems... Like myself. Hell even if you have a newer system that isn't b/c you would be stupid to sell it. If you are purchasing ps4 you are more than likely getting PS+. Keeping ps3=free games. And I know what people are gonna say... PS+ is a ripoff. If you think so quit gaming and take up quilting.

I was saying it's possible to emulate PS1 & PS2 games on the PS4 because it uses a standard PC architecture, and PCs today can easily emulate those games. 

My gaming history - NES, PS1, PS2, GBA SP, NDS, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One
Message 23 of 34 (6,908 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 02/02/2005
Online
12590 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be able to play PS3 Games??

Aug 9, 2013

cross12095 wrote:

waynefiend wrote:
@cross12095 - if it is true about what you say about the ps1&ps2 games which I'm not claiming it isn't it wouldn't solve any problems. Answer one question for me... What ps3 systems play ps1&ps2 games. That's right the older consoles. The newer ps3s aren't b/c compatible right? So with that being said let me say this. The ones that own an older system that is b/c aren't getting rid of their systems... Like myself. Hell even if you have a newer system that isn't b/c you would be stupid to sell it. If you are purchasing ps4 you are more than likely getting PS+. Keeping ps3=free games. And I know what people are gonna say... PS+ is a ripoff. If you think so quit gaming and take up quilting.

I was saying it's possible to emulate PS1 & PS2 games on the PS4 because it uses a standard PC architecture, and PCs today can easily emulate those games. 


while the ps3 can still run ps1 games...  it cant do ps2 games,,  only because the ps3s that was able to run ps2 games still relied on a physical chip that just isnt present on the latest models of the ps3..

>

Message 24 of 34 (6,899 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 03/01/2009
Offline
809 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be able to play PS3 Games??

Aug 10, 2013

Teus wrote:

while the ps3 can still run ps1 games...  it cant do ps2 games,,  only because the ps3s that was able to run ps2 games still relied on a physical chip that just isnt present on the latest models of the ps3..


 

The post isn't about PS3 BC, it is about PS4 BC.

I actually believe that Sony learned some time ago on how to do BC for PS2 on PS3, but they don't want to do it because then they can't sell us HD remakes or PS2 Classics

My gaming history - NES, PS1, PS2, GBA SP, NDS, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One
Message 25 of 34 (6,879 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
29610 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be able to play PS3 Games??

[ Edited ]
Aug 10, 2013

cross12095 wrote:

Teus wrote:

while the ps3 can still run ps1 games...  it cant do ps2 games,,  only because the ps3s that was able to run ps2 games still relied on a physical chip that just isnt present on the latest models of the ps3..


 

The post isn't about PS3 BC, it is about PS4 BC.

I actually believe that Sony learned some time ago on how to do BC for PS2 on PS3, but they don't want to do it because then they can't sell us HD remakes or PS2 Classics


You "believe" but you have no proof? A lot of people used to "believe" that Elvis was alive, but trust me, Elvis has left the building.

 

This other thing about how it's a grand conspiracy to get you to buy high defintion remasters (not "remakes", the definition has been butchered by the gamer cognoscenti via repetition to the point where it has BECOME "fact" ) is one of the biggest loads of hogwash that I've seen, that is continually and falsely purported. The high definition remasters don't sell in enough numbers to support this theory that backwards compatibility is being withheld from you, and the profit margin on these games isn't nearly what people probably think they are. Sure, the fantasy that the big, bad, evil, faceless, souless, meanie, greedy, poopie head, corporation is depriving you of your back library of PS2, because they've had undergone the machinations to make you rebuy your entire game library to line their pockets, all so they can light cigars with hundred dollar bills, and sleep on a huge pile of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck, is the a gamer concocted FANTASY, that has perpetuated itself because some people want to believe it. Nothing more. It makes for good message board fodder, that's about it.

 

I don't have an ending here. So I'll leave it at that.

Message 26 of 34 (6,873 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 03/01/2009
Offline
809 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be able to play PS3 Games??

Aug 10, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

cross12095 wrote:

Teus wrote:

while the ps3 can still run ps1 games...  it cant do ps2 games,,  only because the ps3s that was able to run ps2 games still relied on a physical chip that just isnt present on the latest models of the ps3..


 

The post isn't about PS3 BC, it is about PS4 BC.

I actually believe that Sony learned some time ago on how to do BC for PS2 on PS3, but they don't want to do it because then they can't sell us HD remakes or PS2 Classics


You "believe" but you have no proof? A lot of people used to "believe" that Elvis was alive, but trust me, Elvis has left the building.

 

This other thing about how it's a grand conspiracy to get you to buy high defintion remasters (not "remakes", the definition has been butchered by the gamer cognoscenti via repetition to the point where it has BECOME "fact" ) is one of the biggest loads of hogwash that I've seen, that is continually and falsely purported. The high definition remakes don't sell in enough numbers to support this theory that backwards compatibility is being withheld from you, and the profit margin on these games isn't nearly what people probably think they are. Sure, the fantasy that the big, bad, evil, faceless, souless, meanie, greedy, poopie head, corporation is depriving you of your back library of PS2, because they've had undergone the machinations to make you rebuy your entire game library to line their pockets, all so they can light cigars with hundred dollar bills, and sleep on a huge pile of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck, is the a gamer concocted FANTASY, that has perpetuated itself because some people want to believe it. Nothing more. It makes for good message board fodder, that's about it.

 

I don't have an ending here. So I'll leave it at that.


Then how do you explain the PS2 Classics on the PS Store then?

Sony has obviously learned how to do PS2 B/C on the PS3 if it's selling digital PS2 games on the PS Store. 

My gaming history - NES, PS1, PS2, GBA SP, NDS, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One
Message 27 of 34 (6,856 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 12/22/2008
Offline
926 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be able to play PS3 Games??

Aug 10, 2013

cross12095 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

cross12095 wrote:

Teus wrote:

while the ps3 can still run ps1 games...  it cant do ps2 games,,  only because the ps3s that was able to run ps2 games still relied on a physical chip that just isnt present on the latest models of the ps3..


 

The post isn't about PS3 BC, it is about PS4 BC.

I actually believe that Sony learned some time ago on how to do BC for PS2 on PS3, but they don't want to do it because then they can't sell us HD remakes or PS2 Classics


You "believe" but you have no proof? A lot of people used to "believe" that Elvis was alive, but trust me, Elvis has left the building.

 

This other thing about how it's a grand conspiracy to get you to buy high defintion remasters (not "remakes", the definition has been butchered by the gamer cognoscenti via repetition to the point where it has BECOME "fact" ) is one of the biggest loads of hogwash that I've seen, that is continually and falsely purported. The high definition remakes don't sell in enough numbers to support this theory that backwards compatibility is being withheld from you, and the profit margin on these games isn't nearly what people probably think they are. Sure, the fantasy that the big, bad, evil, faceless, souless, meanie, greedy, poopie head, corporation is depriving you of your back library of PS2, because they've had undergone the machinations to make you rebuy your entire game library to line their pockets, all so they can light cigars with hundred dollar bills, and sleep on a huge pile of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck, is the a gamer concocted FANTASY, that has perpetuated itself because some people want to believe it. Nothing more. It makes for good message board fodder, that's about it.

 

I don't have an ending here. So I'll leave it at that.


Then how do you explain the PS2 Classics on the PS Store then?

Sony has obviously learned how to do PS2 B/C on the PS3 if it's selling digital PS2 games on the PS Store. 


Well those PS2 classics are re-coded to run on the PS3.  Or, the emulation software is designed incredibly specifically for the PS2 game being sold as PS2 Classics.  It's actually much easier to write emulation software for only one specific game as you don't need  to worry about any instructions which that game doesn't make use of.  This makes it easier to emulate the game.

 

The problem with this is that you can't just write an all-ecompassing emulator that will automatically play every game you put in the drive.  You would need to write an emulator specifically for each and every game that has been released.  That's a MONUMENTAL task.

Message 28 of 34 (6,844 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 02/03/2008
Offline
15344 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be able to play PS3 Games??

Aug 10, 2013

cross12095 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

cross12095 wrote:

Teus wrote:

while the ps3 can still run ps1 games...  it cant do ps2 games,,  only because the ps3s that was able to run ps2 games still relied on a physical chip that just isnt present on the latest models of the ps3..


 

The post isn't about PS3 BC, it is about PS4 BC.

I actually believe that Sony learned some time ago on how to do BC for PS2 on PS3, but they don't want to do it because then they can't sell us HD remakes or PS2 Classics


You "believe" but you have no proof? A lot of people used to "believe" that Elvis was alive, but trust me, Elvis has left the building.

 

This other thing about how it's a grand conspiracy to get you to buy high defintion remasters (not "remakes", the definition has been butchered by the gamer cognoscenti via repetition to the point where it has BECOME "fact" ) is one of the biggest loads of hogwash that I've seen, that is continually and falsely purported. The high definition remakes don't sell in enough numbers to support this theory that backwards compatibility is being withheld from you, and the profit margin on these games isn't nearly what people probably think they are. Sure, the fantasy that the big, bad, evil, faceless, souless, meanie, greedy, poopie head, corporation is depriving you of your back library of PS2, because they've had undergone the machinations to make you rebuy your entire game library to line their pockets, all so they can light cigars with hundred dollar bills, and sleep on a huge pile of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck, is the a gamer concocted FANTASY, that has perpetuated itself because some people want to believe it. Nothing more. It makes for good message board fodder, that's about it.

 

I don't have an ending here. So I'll leave it at that.


Then how do you explain the PS2 Classics on the PS Store then?

Sony has obviously learned how to do PS2 B/C on the PS3 if it's selling digital PS2 games on the PS Store. 


I hope you know that isn't the same thing as popping in a disk.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum


Fabulous!
Message 29 of 34 (6,842 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 02/02/2005
Online
12590 posts
 

Re: Will the PS4 be able to play PS3 Games??

[ Edited ]
Aug 10, 2013

cross12095 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

cross12095 wrote:

Teus wrote:

while the ps3 can still run ps1 games...  it cant do ps2 games,,  only because the ps3s that was able to run ps2 games still relied on a physical chip that just isnt present on the latest models of the ps3..


 

The post isn't about PS3 BC, it is about PS4 BC.

I actually believe that Sony learned some time ago on how to do BC for PS2 on PS3, but they don't want to do it because then they can't sell us HD remakes or PS2 Classics


You "believe" but you have no proof? A lot of people used to "believe" that Elvis was alive, but trust me, Elvis has left the building.

 

This other thing about how it's a grand conspiracy to get you to buy high defintion remasters (not "remakes", the definition has been butchered by the gamer cognoscenti via repetition to the point where it has BECOME "fact" ) is one of the biggest loads of hogwash that I've seen, that is continually and falsely purported. The high definition remakes don't sell in enough numbers to support this theory that backwards compatibility is being withheld from you, and the profit margin on these games isn't nearly what people probably think they are. Sure, the fantasy that the big, bad, evil, faceless, souless, meanie, greedy, poopie head, corporation is depriving you of your back library of PS2, because they've had undergone the machinations to make you rebuy your entire game library to line their pockets, all so they can light cigars with hundred dollar bills, and sleep on a huge pile of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck, is the a gamer concocted FANTASY, that has perpetuated itself because some people want to believe it. Nothing more. It makes for good message board fodder, that's about it.

 

I don't have an ending here. So I'll leave it at that.


Then how do you explain the PS2 Classics on the PS Store then?

Sony has obviously learned how to do PS2 B/C on the PS3 if it's selling digital PS2 games on the PS Store. 




The ps2 classics were recoded to work on the ps3.

>

Message 30 of 34 (6,821 Views)