MVP Support
10862 posts

Re: Will ps4 allow you to listen to your own music during gameplay?

Mar 11, 2013

Over the years of going to GenCon, I have met a number of composers and musical/sound directors from video games.  These people make their living producing music for games, and some of them get a little upset when they hear gamers would rather listen to AC/DC or Abba rather than the situational cue that they wrote and recorded (often with a 45-70 piece orchestra and/or choir) for a specific point in the game.

It's one thing to want to listen to a custom soundtrack when playing a brainless multiplayer game like CoD or MoH, but in a story mode in a game like Uncharted or God of War, the music can be almost like another character.

Message 21 of 34 (8,933 Views)
Highlighted
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Mar 11, 2013
Well.. I'd be interested in seeing, say, some time in the future that maybe you would be able to supply your own a b and c tracks, and that the game mixed the music into the game for you. That would be interesting, even in single-player games. For example mmos or jrpgs, where you have often lots of repetitive music, and so on.

But until then - if people have played WipeoutHD, there's a very good example of how you can do it. You have a jukebox, and you can add your own tracks to it. The game then puts on environmental filters on top of the music when you go through a tunnel, and so on, adds doppler-effects. And also use the music to draw the pulsing graphs on the track in Zone.

And while you can't get all of those effects on a pc, or the upcoming ps4, some of the features can be very useful.

Killzone 2 is another good example. If you added tracks to your jukebox here, the multiplayer would start your tracks during the game, and then dim the music while you would be on the mission screens or the map, and start and stop the tracks at the beginning and the end of the matches, etc.

Specially because there's usually no music in multiplayer anyway, and because it was filtered so extremely smoothly with crossfades, and so on - that felt very advanced and sleek in the game.

So yes, definitely would want to see in-game music with fades during menus, and for example during cutscenes or intros in multiplayer games. Maybe have your own soundtrack, but then a game-soundtrack would crossfade during a particularly good takeover, or a win, etc. It's possible to do that and make it sound and feel very seamless.

There are two reasons I brought this up:
1. It was one of the most liked features in Killzone 2, that everyone were able to like regardless of the other problems. Same with WipeoutHD. It wasn't mentioned in reviews all that much. But when talking to people who don't usually play games - when I point out what happens to the music and the custom soundtrack, they tend to say: right, that's why it seems so slick and seamless. Features like that can be extremely useful when done right.
2. The closed platform Sony will have is very well suited to push for adhering to a specific api or a design when it comes to the music. If Sony said: "here's a function set we would like all our games to have", that would have a lot of weight. Not saying Sony should start to mandate custom soundtracks in single-player games. But that having a crossfade to a jukebox when the game otherwise doesn't play sounds - that's a simple and useful function, specially in multiplayer games. I.e., letting the player play their own music, and fading that "track" or "channel" while the game plays back something else such as voice, chat, mission briefing, intro, cutscene, etc. But then fading in the soundtrack while the other events would be inactive.
Message 22 of 34 (8,925 Views)
Sackboy
379 posts

Mar 11, 2013

jbapollo wrote:
With the new system coming out and supposedly being faster than a computer. If we can not listen to our own music in a game I am definitely going to be disappointed. And yes I love the new controllers but the added buttons to share my gameplay video sounds kinda pointless. We want more buttons for gameplay and options not so we Stop in middle of game and upload video. The system was originally designed for games and now they are turning it into almost like a Facebook. Remember Sony GAMES is what you should focus on. Have more buttons for gaming. A share button is kinda lame and a step backwards. Touchpad sounds cool but will it give us added buttons for gameplay? And what about the ps move, clearly that was a waste of money. Design an even better version of it.

HERE IS THE DEFINITIVE ANSWER: YES!

The PS Vita can already do it. The PS4 should most certainly do it.

Message 23 of 34 (8,921 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Mar 12, 2013

fleinn wrote:
Well.. I'd be interested in seeing, say, some time in the future that maybe you would be able to supply your own a b and c tracks, and that the game mixed the music into the game for you. That would be interesting, even in single-player games. For example mmos or jrpgs, where you have often lots of repetitive music, and so on.

But until then - if people have played WipeoutHD, there's a very good example of how you can do it. You have a jukebox, and you can add your own tracks to it. The game then puts on environmental filters on top of the music when you go through a tunnel, and so on, adds doppler-effects. And also use the music to draw the pulsing graphs on the track in Zone.

Killzone 2 is another good example. If you added tracks to your jukebox here, the multiplayer would start your tracks during the game, and then dim the music while you would be on the mission screens or the map, and start and stop the tracks at the beginning and the end of the matches, etc.

Specially because there's usually no music in multiplayer anyway, and because it was filtered so extremely smoothly with crossfades, and so on - that felt very advanced and sleek in the game.

Just from a personal stance I don't find the music in MMOs or JRPGs to be repetitive. I will admit that W.o.W was boring musically, at least what I played of it. FF XI on the other hand I really enjoyed the music, even battle music. Persona 4 Golden is another great example and so is Ni No Kuni. But, as I said, that's just me.

Ok, multi-player I can understand the idea. I am not a big fan of multi-player in games, so that's an area I did not even think about. I can see where in a game like CoD or KZ 2's online multi-player, where it would be useful.

I don't agree with everything in your post, but it was well written. Thank you for pointing out MP and games like Wipeout. Sports, Racers and online FPS MP are areas I don't dwelve into, so I did not think of them. When you're primarily solo, you do tend to get somewhat locked into your own box.

Message 24 of 34 (8,913 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Mar 12, 2013
Ps4 will not be faster then high end rigs but on par with most gameing pc's and faster than average ones. It will produce great graphics tho
PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 25 of 34 (8,908 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28669 posts

Mar 12, 2013

If you learn to appreciate music without the need to turn it into a music video, you won't care.

Message 26 of 34 (8,903 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Mar 12, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:
Just from a personal stance I don't find the music in MMOs or JRPGs to be repetitive. I will admit that W.o.W was boring musically, at least what I played of it. FF XI on the other hand I really enjoyed the music, even battle music. Persona 4 Golden is another great example and so is Ni No Kuni. But, as I said, that's just me.

Da-da-da-tata! ...... Da-ta-ta-tata! Fiiirebaaalll! Yasha! Smiley Tongue 

It's just that even in games where the soundtrack tends to be amazingly well done, such as in Resonance of Fate, with the gradual mixing between a->b tracks, and some of the overlap samples. The way it ramps up during hero-actions, then waits until a good spot to slow down again seamlessly, and so on. And they have a different set for all ..15 locations and floors as well. Even in those games, it could always be a good idea to let people add their own set of tunes, or just to allow people to choose some of the tracks. If you incorporated it into the design from the start... you know, why not let people pick extra tracks for bonus-stages, or unlock new soundtrack themes to pick for an arena, that sort of thing.

What I wouldn't give to be able to skip the Square Enix "victory tunes", for example..

Point just was that in many games now it's not that they compose a full score that fits exactly to the lenght of a cutscene anyway. Instead there's breaks in the music, some mixing involved, and with dynamic mixing of effects into the soundtrack. Super Stardust, WipeoutHD among maybe the most successful in that sense. inFamous was well done too - by having some overlap between the soundtrack and the sound-effects, extending both, etc.

Another thing could be having your own music from the music folder suddenly playing on a radio in a game, for example. On the car-radio in GTA, that sort of thing. 

(Not that this won't be adopted by Double Fusion and sold as a fantastic idea for in-game advertisement Smiley Tongue. But still, it's not a bad idea to have an option to add your own music into the game.

PapaWarlock wrote:

Ok, multi-player I can understand the idea. I am not a big fan of multi-player in games, so that's an area I did not even think about. I can see where in a game like CoD or KZ 2's online multi-player, where it would be useful.

Right. But it would take some work to set up a way to make it better than an "alt-tab" switch to a media-player in windows. You can program it from outside the game-logic if you're a bit imaginative. But you would probably get the best results if you had an "optional stream" that the game could produce into the game-world, with the environmental effects, etc, when not playing anything more interesting.

PapaWarlock wrote:

I don't agree with everything in your post, but it was well written. Thank you for pointing out MP and games like Wipeout. Sports, Racers and online FPS MP are areas I don't dwelve into, so I did not think of them. When you're primarily solo, you do tend to get somewhat locked into your own box.

I guess so. But you have these things in single-player games too. The iPod in MGS4, for example. You could play different things on that, and it was interrupted or faded by cutscenes and dialogue, and so on. And it wouldn't take that much to adopt this into a pattern design in the xmb ui. Like I said, Guerilla Games actually did that with Killzone 2.. One of the few games that actually only use the xmb jukebox for playing custom tracks.

Message 27 of 34 (8,899 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3206 posts

Mar 12, 2013
I prefer to listen to the music and sounds from the game so I can get the full experience of the game. BUT once I beat the campaign of the game, THEN that's when in game music would come in handy Smiley Happy Also I read years ago that Microsoft owns the patent for those 2 features, in game music and cross game chat?!?!?! Not sure how true but it wouldn't surprise me as the original Xbox had those features I think.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
https://www.facebook.com/deaofly?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Message 28 of 34 (8,897 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Mar 12, 2013
Well if the background music is such a big problem for someone in a game, and the PS4 doesnt come with it, then buy an xbox or a speaker bar, if not, then stop complaining about it. Or, like someone already said, put some headphones on and play, it's the same thing...its just music while playing a game.

Your playing a game to play a game anyway, most games that i've played come with an OST inside of the game, if you don't like that then go on youtube and listen to some pantera or whatever floats your boat.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 29 of 34 (8,893 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Mar 12, 2013
I'm pretty sure that's a "better safe than sorry" reading of the patent, and possible conflicts up the line.. done by Sony's many and extremely well paid litigators. But the idea that a carefully developed api, that allows crossfade between music and chat in a multiplayer game -- should somehow be picked up by a patent about "playing external music in-game", etc.

That's probably too much even for patent-judges in the US.. If MS actually won, it would mean that any gaming capable device would have to remove the media-players -- but only if they allowed playing music while the game is active. Then if someone was caught not disabling these "jukebox" programs while playing a game in an embedded device -- then they could be successfully sued for infringement and damages.

Which would be absurd. Even in the context of patent litigation..
Message 30 of 34 (8,891 Views)
0 Likes