First Son
2 posts

Re: Will ps3 games work on ps4?

Mar 25, 2013

I would suggest that you make the ps4 able to play ps1-3 games. I have owned all three systems and have bought many games and I think it is ridiculous that ps3 is not backwards compatible. If I have bought all of your consoles and paid for PS games I think its just greedy of you to ask me to buy them again for download or not offer them AT ALL! Make it about being fair to your loyal gamers not about making money and screwing over your fans for an extra $!

Message 21 of 52 (4,011 Views)
Highlighted
First Son
1 posts

Apr 4, 2013
Do you still have the Games?
Message 22 of 52 (3,997 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 11, 2013

I used to be an acceptant gamer like you, before I took a PS3 game and inserted it in my PS4. );

Notrisky

Message 23 of 52 (3,785 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 11, 2013

Just keep Your ps3.

It is simpel !!!

Message 24 of 52 (3,709 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

Jun 11, 2013

Supporting backwards compatibility is computationally infeasable.  It's just not doable.

Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Message 25 of 52 (3,683 Views)
Splicer
81 posts

Jun 11, 2013
The thing I don't understand about why they said it won't play PS3 discs, is if it can play dl'd versions of them, why is it so difficult to make it play the PS3 discs?
Message 26 of 52 (3,679 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

Jun 11, 2013

Tarkona wrote:
The thing I don't understand about why they said it won't play PS3 discs, is if it can play dl'd versions of them, why is it so difficult to make it play the PS3 discs?

You won't be playing a downloaded version of it.  They'll somehow stream the old game to your console in realtime as you play it.  So if you press a button on the controller, your PS4 says, "The player pressed a button."  Then Sony's hosted PS3 hardware says back, "The game did this in response," and updates your screen.

Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Message 27 of 52 (3,669 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 11, 2013

I still don't get how a digital version of a PS3 game can work -even if it is streamed- as opposed to a disc. I'm trying to wrap my head around it but just can't.

Even if it is streamed, the console still needs to process that info to make it work.

Message 28 of 52 (3,665 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jun 11, 2013

Tarkona wrote:

Actually, they said that it cannot play the Digitally Downloaded games from the PSN.  If they are porting over the PS3 software for download on the PS4 Network, they are manually changing the code that runs on the PS3 into code that will run on the PS4.

For a more detailed explanation on this, I would suggest all of the brand new forum members here who have posted in this thread to do a search for "Backwards Compatible" here in the forums.  This topic has been brought up hundreds of times already.  Simply put, the PS4 is not able to run the code that the PS3 can. 

The best analogy for this is that a Blu-Ray Disc is analagous to piece of paper.  The code that is stored on that Blu-Ray is analagous to different written languages.  If I give you a piece of paper with words recorded in a language you do not know, you will not be able to tell me what is written on that piece of paper even though you are able to accept that piece of paper.  For the PS4, even though you are sticking in a Blu-Ray disc with a PS3 game on it, the PS4 doesn't know the language that the code is written in and it can't run the game.  PS3 games "speak" in a language the PS4 can't understand.

Now some Sony execs have said that certain games in the PS3 PSN might be able to be run on the PS4.  This is because the 'code' that is used in that game is incredibly simple and not taxing the Cell processor in any way, shape, or form.  These games with easy, non-customized-for-the-Cell programming code may be able to run on the PS4.  But if you're thinking that games like God of War, MGS4, Infamous, etc. are part of that group, you are sorely mistaken.  The games that we may be able to play directly are generally small, short, simple Indie games.

Message 29 of 52 (3,664 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

Jun 11, 2013
Ok this makes a bit of sense to me now. Thank you for clarifying for me.
Message 30 of 52 (3,660 Views)
0 Likes