Reply
Feb 28 2013
By: eme24 First Son 2 posts
Offline

Will PSN's Downloaded PS3 Games be PS4 accessible?

9 replies 34624 views Edited Feb 28, 2013

Hopefully this is posted in the correct thread.

 

Not that it is entirely relevant, but I've had a PS3 since launch month. Love everything about it, and my 20gig backwards compatible is still going strong (yep, 20 gig. had to get a 250gb seagate HD to get more space, but the console still works great!).

 

As you can imagine, i've accumulated 30+ games over these past 7 years. I've accepted the fact that the PS4 will not be backwards compatible. It's just not feasible, and I accept that. However, with the PS4's launch coming in about 10 months or so, I find myself in a tough situation: Do I continue buying disc-based games? My logic has always been that "I'm not buying the game on the PS Store, I want a physical copy of the game. I can play on another friend's PS3, and discs are practical, dammit!" 

 

But I still want to keep playing my newest games, and I'm a broke college kid. I will likely have to sell my PS3 and the games to afford my upcoming PS4. But you can bet your **bleep** that I REALLY want to hold onto God of War: Ascenion, Grand Theft Auto 5, The Last of Us, and anything else I find epic in the coming months. After all, i JUST bought those games, and then I'm gonna get rid of them when I get the PS4 a few months later? No way, Jose!

 

So, my question for those that are "in the know", or maybe just more logical than myself: Should I buy my absolute favorite games on the PlayStation Store as downloads, in the hopes that my PSN account (and all ps3-game purchases) will be playable on my PS4? Because if they are not available, and I buy those games on the PS Store, those games will simply vanish when I sell the PS3 Smiley Sad On the other hand, if I have the discs, I most certainly cannot play them on my PS4, but at least they are valuable enough to sell separately and easily.

 

Anyone heard any rumors on this topic? Confirmations? Logical guesses?

PS: My ID is eme24, let's play something.

Message 1 of 10 (34,624 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/02/2009
Offline
6986 posts
 

Re: Will PSN's Downloaded PS3 Games be PS4 accessible?

Feb 28, 2013

eme24 wrote:

Hopefully this is posted in the correct thread.

 

Not that it is entirely relevant, but I've had a PS3 since launch month. Love everything about it, and my 20gig backwards compatible is still going strong (yep, 20 gig. had to get a 250gb seagate HD to get more space, but the console still works great!).

 

As you can imagine, i've accumulated 30+ games over these past 7 years. I've accepted the fact that the PS4 will not be backwards compatible. It's just not feasible, and I accept that. However, with the PS4's launch coming in about 10 months or so, I find myself in a tough situation: Do I continue buying disc-based games? My logic has always been that "I'm not buying the game on the PS Store, I want a physical copy of the game. I can play on another friend's PS3, and discs are practical, dammit!" 

 

But I still want to keep playing my newest games, and I'm a broke college kid. I will likely have to sell my PS3 and the games to afford my upcoming PS4. But you can bet your **bleep** that I REALLY want to hold onto God of War: Ascenion, Grand Theft Auto 5, The Last of Us, and anything else I find epic in the coming months. After all, i JUST bought those games, and then I'm gonna get rid of them when I get the PS4 a few months later? No way, Jose!

 

So, my question for those that are "in the know", or maybe just more logical than myself: Should I buy my absolute favorite games on the PlayStation Store as downloads, in the hopes that my PSN account (and all ps3-game purchases) will be playable on my PS4? Because if they are not available, and I buy those games on the PS Store, those games will simply vanish when I sell the PS3 Smiley Sad On the other hand, if I have the discs, I most certainly cannot play them on my PS4, but at least they are valuable enough to sell separately and easily.

 

Anyone heard any rumors on this topic? Confirmations? Logical guesses?

PS: My ID is eme24, let's play something.


 My best advice is not even buy a ps4 so fast..  continue to game on ps3 until your heart content. Keep buying the games you want used or new. Dont  allow a buisness to dictate your fun.

Search the bargin bins for games in stores  and  also  dev of these sale some of thier product direct meaning disk  with mail order..  you can  is seek them out,  you dont have  to go ps4 if you dont want i too. You wont be missing a thing.

.

 I have bought things digital on  ps network.  Im not mad at their decessions becuase i dont have to live with it, they do.. You can take the same attitude in your purchases with  ps3 and your gaming.

 

 The rest of the worry part in your psots. .  please dont  worry yourself.  Just  buy off line ( sinpleplayer) games only,  dont buy any online games.    In my personal opinion online has  hurt  more things this generation than helped. I will not support online gaming beyond ps home, other than that the rest can  have the best of luck in survival. From this point out im not nymore online games.

 

 I wrote rockstar games last night to  put mp(multiplayer) games  in a  offline  way with bots  like counter strike does., and allow gamers to play like that. .  get  rid of online tropies for games make them  single player only. To me single player games are best experience, I dont  see any beyond the social  climate that mp game bring.. the rest is a bunch of wash..

 

  Also happy gaming in your future. Smiley Happy

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 2 of 10 (34,613 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 02/05/2013
Offline
1013 posts
 

Re: Will PSN's Downloaded PS3 Games be PS4 accessible?

Feb 28, 2013
Multiplayer has always been very important to the gaming industry going all the way back to pong. Competition between players started in the arcades, and now that the arcades are all but extinct, online gaming has come to take the place of the arcade. Single player games are very good most of the time, but multiplayer always has and always will be a key component in the video game industry. They've only made it so that instead of having to go to other people's houses or an arcade to play against others, you're able to do it right from the comfort of your own home. As a whole, this has greatly helped gaming industry because more people are buying games and even multiple copies of games so that their households are still able to partake in the arcade experience of competition.

Multiplayer and online gaming aren't going away anytime soon. Hell, they're not going away in the distant future either. The gaming industry has changed from having you go to the arcade to bringing the arcade to you. It's actually a pretty big milestone, and it has and will continue to help the gaming industry.
My PSN
Message 3 of 10 (34,609 Views)
Platinum
Registered: 12/21/2007
Offline
55190 posts
 

Re: Will PSN's Downloaded PS3 Games be PS4 accessible?

Feb 28, 2013

eme24 wrote:

Hopefully this is posted in the correct thread.

 

Not that it is entirely relevant, but I've had a PS3 since launch month. Love everything about it, and my 20gig backwards compatible is still going strong (yep, 20 gig. had to get a 250gb seagate HD to get more space, but the console still works great!).

 

As you can imagine, i've accumulated 30+ games over these past 7 years. I've accepted the fact that the PS4 will not be backwards compatible. It's just not feasible, and I accept that. However, with the PS4's launch coming in about 10 months or so, I find myself in a tough situation: Do I continue buying disc-based games? My logic has always been that "I'm not buying the game on the PS Store, I want a physical copy of the game. I can play on another friend's PS3, and discs are practical, dammit!" 

 

But I still want to keep playing my newest games, and I'm a broke college kid. I will likely have to sell my PS3 and the games to afford my upcoming PS4. But you can bet your **bleep** that I REALLY want to hold onto God of War: Ascenion, Grand Theft Auto 5, The Last of Us, and anything else I find epic in the coming months. After all, i JUST bought those games, and then I'm gonna get rid of them when I get the PS4 a few months later? No way, Jose!

 

So, my question for those that are "in the know", or maybe just more logical than myself: Should I buy my absolute favorite games on the PlayStation Store as downloads, in the hopes that my PSN account (and all ps3-game purchases) will be playable on my PS4? Because if they are not available, and I buy those games on the PS Store, those games will simply vanish when I sell the PS3 Smiley Sad On the other hand, if I have the discs, I most certainly cannot play them on my PS4, but at least they are valuable enough to sell separately and easily.

 

Anyone heard any rumors on this topic? Confirmations? Logical guesses?

PS: My ID is eme24, let's play something.


Supposedly we MAY be able to DL them from a cloud.   Check out the official thread here
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/Official-PlayStation2013-Discussion-Thread/td-p...

 

And the off-topic section's thread (this one has a full video of the press conference for the PS4 release)  http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Off-Topic-Discussions/The-PS4-Off-Topic-Area-Discussion-Threa...

Message 4 of 10 (34,607 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
11009 posts
 

Re: Will PSN's Downloaded PS3 Games be PS4 accessible?

Feb 28, 2013
PS3/PSN games will not be natively supported on the PS4. The PS4 will not have the hardware to play PS3 games. Specifically, the Cell BBE, will not be included on the PS4's system board. It has nothing to do with the media the game is delivered on (the PS4 will continue to use Blu-ray discs), but the processor and gpu rendering the game on your TV.

If you cannot afford a PS4 without selling your PS3, your choice is pretty simple. Keep your PS3, and hold off on buying a PS4 until the Gaikai service is more fleshed out... I suspect there will be some form of it attached to PS+. It is not known yet if it will operate on a game-by-game or a subscription basis. I would assume the latter, but the former would also make sense on several different levels, including previously purchased content.
Message 5 of 10 (34,599 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/02/2009
Offline
6986 posts
 

Re: Will PSN's Downloaded PS3 Games be PS4 accessible?

[ Edited ]
Mar 1, 2013

the_ed_85 wrote:
Multiplayer has always been very important to the gaming industry going all the way back to pong. Competition between players started in the arcades, and now that the arcades are all but extinct, online gaming has come to take the place of the arcade. Single player games are very good most of the time, but multiplayer always has and always will be a key component in the video game industry. They've only made it so that instead of having to go to other people's houses or an arcade to play against others, you're able to do it right from the comfort of your own home. As a whole, this has greatly helped gaming industry because more people are buying games and even multiple copies of games so that their households are still able to partake in the arcade experience of competition.

Multiplayer and online gaming aren't going away anytime soon. Hell, they're not going away in the distant future either. The gaming industry has changed from having you go to the arcade to bringing the arcade to you. It's actually a pretty big milestone, and it has and will continue to help the gaming industry.

 I hear your arguement but i disargee with the last part its not going to go away and help the industry. But at same time gamers dont have any say in their pruchases for online content. Once they shut the servers down  your money is gone so is content to play... You cant play it offline. if  its online mp content.

 

 With all the unfair play and  stealing going on. No one wants to come online to play a game.. what for? Those days of honest  online gamer is over, it been over since 2001..  Only thing  companies are doing is money  grabbing,  baiting gamers with online dlc and shutting down servers  in 2 yrs time and  take away gamers rights in the online area. The truth is no has the money to really secure their network of play.

 

Today   the video  games industry  is dying. sales are decling and online gaming is to  blame..  But not out right, its  the  bad apple of  online gamer to  blame..    I dont think merging with pc players is going to  help, alot of those guys do alot unfiar ways of play and they're too bright in coding to be stopped.  I honestly think online  gaming or the console online gaming  is to come to end in the near future.   Becuase no one has the  correct sercurity  to stop the  stealing and unfair play etc. Paying to play   online is no remendy to deter anything..

 

    I agree  with what you say and all but  just hear my point of view.  But at same  time alot  of devs are under and out of biz becuase of online gaming,thats the honest truth. They  could have stayed in biz if  just did a simple offline  game.. And ones that been around the longest  just  made offline games the majority of the time. Mario has never been online neither has mega man i dont think.  zelda i dont think has been online. They have been around for about  20 years or so. But As for console gaming online the ways of play is too crooked, pc  you  really dont  see alot of those problems but those are just  very very bright gamers  in their way doing so. Conquer & command, D&D have been online for a long time. I never  hear much issue in unfiar in that  maybe becuase every doing  the simple stuf to get ahead  lol  and  nevr tell on the  goods things..? But for as  console gaming it almost every single games  online.

 

 Me perosanally  yesterday was my last time buying online dlc amd multi player game.. Im not buying anymore as long  i live..  I dont  care Im buying offline  Only . . Like i said  its no harm or foul to any devs ,  I wish them best in  the survial of the  fittest.. btw i kudo your post becuase i  argee  with what you say..  Ty for your point of view

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 6 of 10 (34,585 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 02/28/2013
Offline
2 posts
 

Re: Will PSN's Downloaded PS3 Games be PS4 accessible?

Feb 28, 2013

Not to sound slow or unintelligent, but the system itself literally can't perform the PS3 games? I guess I don't fully understand. For example, the newer PS3's aren't backwards compatible, but you can still download games like GTA: San Andreas on the PlayStation Network, and play it that way. I'm not questioning your statement, I just don't understand technology enough to understand the difference. I know the PS4 can't play PS3 discs, but it won't even sport the ability to get them via download (without Gaikai's cloud streaming)? This "cell" thing just can't operate the game, even through a digital download?

Message 7 of 10 (34,583 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
11009 posts
 

Re: Will PSN's Downloaded PS3 Games be PS4 accessible?

Mar 1, 2013

eme24 wrote:

Not to sound slow or unintelligent, but the system itself literally can't perform the PS3 games? I guess I don't fully understand. For example, the newer PS3's aren't backwards compatible, but you can still download games like GTA: San Andreas on the PlayStation Network, and play it that way. I'm not questioning your statement, I just don't understand technology enough to understand the difference. I know the PS4 can't play PS3 discs, but it won't even sport the ability to get them via download (without Gaikai's cloud streaming)? This "cell" thing just can't operate the game, even through a digital download?


The Cell Broadband Engine is the PS3's CPU.  It would be cost (as well as power and heat) prohibitive to include it in the PS4.  The AMD Jaguar is the PS4's CPU, and will likely operate pretty hot on its own, without having a super-hot running Cell BBE running on the same system board.  Without the Cell, the PS4 will be unable to run software designed for the Cell.  At least at this time.  It's possible the Cell could be emulated eventually, but as it is, Sony is taking a route that could bring PS3 (as well as PS2, PS1, PSP and PSVita) games to the PS4.  That is the Gaikai streaming service.  It would work similar to Remote Play  on the PSP/PSVita, where the actual game resides and is processed by a remote "PS3" and your PS4 (or PSVita) acts as the display and control device.

Message 8 of 10 (34,580 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 08/29/2015
Offline
1 posts
 

Re: Will PSN's Downloaded PS3 Games be PS4 accessible?

Aug 29, 2015

I agree in some aspects of what you say but not all... I grew up in an era of playing the Atari 2600, Coleco vision,  Nintendo and old-school arcade games the best ones that I enjoy are... dig dug, moon patrol, pac-Man, donkey Kong  super Mario Brothers & Excite bike  just to name a few were all one (two) player games  but I had the most fun playing single player I enjoyed the time when games actually had an ending not a repetitious pattern of completely reiterating themselves over and over into this never ending abyss... As in life there is a beginning and there's an end that is the way all games should be... That being said games that have a single player mode and an online version for you and your friends to play I definitely still enjoy I just believe there should be a version that has an ending... That is all...  Thank you for reading my post.

Message 9 of 10 (4,811 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
Registered: 08/06/2013
Online
4754 posts
 

Re: Will PSN's Downloaded PS3 Games be PS4 accessible?

Aug 29, 2015

Thread locked to prevent further necrobumping. Click here for more information on the Rules of Conduct. - SpicyGoose19

Message 10 of 10 (4,786 Views)