Highlighted
Sep 06 2012
By: ctm0703 First Son 3 posts

Will PS3 bought in USA could work in Philippines without any issue?

8 replies 3594 views Edited Sep 6, 2012

Message 1 of 9 (3,594 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

Re: Will PS3 bought in USA could work in Philippines without any issue?

[ Edited ]
Sep 6, 2012

Lived in the Philippines for 16 years of my life, so I have some answers.

Voltage differences are no concern because the PS3 has an Autovoltage Powersupply. It will auto-adjust to the Philippines' 240V grid.

Games in the Philippines are mostly NTSC-U (like the USA) but because the PS3 is region-free there will be no issues for NTSC-J games sold there.

The AV out is NTSC, same as SDTVs there.

HDMI output is region-free, will run at 60Hz like HDTVs there.

TL : DR - No known issues. Go for it.

Message 2 of 9 (3,589 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Sep 7, 2012

thank you for the reply, that is a relief and a big help. I was really confused by the posts I am reading from several forum.

This is the Sony forum message that made me confused if it really works or not..

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/Taking-a-US-ps3-to-Europe-a-no-go/m-p/14183129/...

Message 3 of 9 (3,582 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 7, 2012

ctm0703 wrote:

thank you for the reply, that is a relief and a big help. I was really confused by the posts I am reading from several forum.

This is the Sony forum message that made me confused if it really works or not..

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/Taking-a-US-ps3-to-Europe-a-no-go/m-p/14183129/...

That's because the US PS3 is in NTSC, while Europe has PAL TVs and PAL Games. The Philippines also uses the NTSC standard which means a lot of the video standards in the Philippines matches up with the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileSmiley TongueAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg (ignore the smiley)

Voltage differences are NOT a problem. While USA PS3s are labeled for 120V, and the voltage of the Philippines is 240V, iFixit has confirmed that the Power Supply automatically adjusts itself to compensate.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation-3-Slim/1121/2

Message 4 of 9 (3,569 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Sep 7, 2012

thank you so much Smiley Happy

have you bought one and brought ps3 in ph, being the reason you knew all of these???

Message 5 of 9 (3,553 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 8, 2012

ctm0703 wrote:

thank you so much Smiley Happy

have you bought one and brought ps3 in ph, being the reason you knew all of these???

Not exactly, but I recieved an LCD SDTV in the Philippines and then shipped it to Canada, where it worked with the PS2 and PS3 I got over here because the Philippines share the same standards with North America.

EDIT: When buying games however, check for the region coding. If it's PAL or SECAM, it won't work with SDTV. If it's NTSC-U, NTSC-U/C or NTSC-J, then it would work.

Message 6 of 9 (3,546 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 17, 2013

AFAIK, BluRay discs both bought in North America (Canada/US) and the Philippines will work with each other. US, Canada & PHL are on Region A of the BluRay Region Lock Codes. DVD's however are a different story as, The US and Canada are region 1 and the Philippines is on Region 3.

My question is: How do you know if the PS3 Games i bought in the Philippines are Region A? Will it say right on the packaging of the game itself? Not a lot of sales personnel in either countries know what the region code is unless they were trained to do so but sales personnel mostly want one thing, a sale! So how do i as a consumer know where to find the region codes for my own knowledge and peace of mind Smiley Happy THANKS!

Message 7 of 9 (3,305 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4330 posts

[ Edited ]
May 17, 2013

I think it'll work cause it region-free.
Yung PSP ko na galing UK, pwedeng laruin Smiley Wink

Edit: Never realize you revived this old thread

Gran Turismo Fan | Love Live Fan | PC Technician

Gran Turismo 7 Suggestions

Message 8 of 9 (3,234 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 27, 2014

How about PS2. Do you think it will work at the Philippines?Is it safe to plug to their outlet?

PS2 Support forums this way. Post your question there. I'll be locking this now. AllWrappedUp

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-2-PSOne-Support/bd-p/22043

Message 9 of 9 (1,989 Views)
0 Likes