Apr 15 2010
By: lb49er2003 Lombax Warrior 153 posts

Will 1.5mbps internet service be enough for online gaming?

[ Edited ]
20 replies 16377 views Edited Jul 15, 2014

Will 1.5 mbps internet service be enough to play online gaming? I will be using through wired connection not wireless.   If anyone uses this, how is ur experience with it?

Thanks.

Mod Edit: added label. Click here for more info on labels, and here for our Rules of Conduct and Forum Guidelines

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

Message 1 of 21 (16,377 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Re: Will 1.5mbps internet service be enough for online gaming?

Apr 15, 2010

sounds like wireless 3g.... clearwire? if so do not use it. its horrible.

Message 2 of 21 (16,375 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2070 posts

Apr 15, 2010

That's what I had up until a couple of months ago. I updated to 3.0 mbps for just a small amount more than 1.5 was costing.

Message 3 of 21 (16,375 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Apr 15, 2010

What type of upload speed do you have?  I have a 10mbps conneciton, but like 720 upload.  I'm good as long as i'm connecting to other people, but if i'm hosting (Street Fighter IV for example) it's really laggy.

1.5 is kinda slow, a lot of it will depend on the netcode of the game your playing, type of game, and number of players etc.

Message 4 of 21 (16,375 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
904 posts

Apr 15, 2010

short answer : yes

longer answer : there are a few other things we'd need to know about your network.

what type of service is this? do you know the upload and download rates? what are your ping times to various places (east coast / west coast)? are you sharing it with others?

i have an expensive network. it is a T1 line with multiple static IP addresses for hosted websites and such. it requires a dedicated copper phone line between me and the service provider that must be less than 5km away. even with all that fancy stuff, a T1 line is still only 1.5 mbps. however, a T1 line is 1.5 mbps upload and 1.5 mbps download at the same time and the ping times and packet loss are usually very good because it's so close to the service provider on a dedicated wire.

many consumer cable modems or DSL lines are around 4 mbps download but only 200-600 kbps upload. they work just fine for online gaming.

for download : 1.5 mbps is just great for online gaming. (how fast can you get info from the game)

for upload : 300-400 kbps will do just fine. (how fast can you send info to the game)

ping times are where things get a bit tricky and where it probably matters most with online gaming. the ping time is in miliseconds (ms) and counts how long it takes for a signal to go from your PS3 to the game server and back. ping times will change from time to time and can be affected by more than just your service provider. if there is a lot of congestion somewhere between you and the game, that can affect your pings.

ping times less than 100 is great

ping times between 100-300 is ok

ping times between 500-1000 is not so good and you will really start to notice lag.

even more complicated is packet loss. sometimes the signal goes out and just never comes back. then the PS3 has to send the packet again. a 10%-20% packet loss is going to affect your game play more than the difference between 100ms ping and 500 ms pings.

packet loss is bad and any loss should be looked into. it could be too much network use in your home (other computers, or poor wireless signals) or it could be cause by network congestion in your neighborhood or even physical damage to the lines between you and you service provider. there might even be issues with the highspeed internet backbones from one ISP to another. those tend to be more rare and get cleared up fairly quickly.

--

--
Message 5 of 21 (16,375 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Apr 15, 2010

well, the provider is time warner road runner basic which claims to be 1.5mbps  download and 384k upload. i don't know if this info helps u guys.

thanks

Message 6 of 21 (16,375 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
158 posts

Apr 15, 2010

lb49er2003 wrote:

Will 1.5 mbps internet service be enough to play online gaming? I will be using through wired connection not wireless.   If anyone uses this, how is ur experience with it?

Thanks.

As long as you have at least a 384kbps Upload and a low ping you can "PLAY" online with your PS3. You will have trouble "HOSTING" any of the games requiring P2P connections (CoD games, R6V games and the like). Server hosted games like Resistance 1&2, Battlefield games and MAG should run fairly well.

Unless you are hosting the game on your PS3 it is very unusual for an online console game to send or recieve more than 200kbps at anytime. Most developers use netcode tailored to the old broadband standard of 384kbps Down/128kbps Up.

It will all come down to the latency and stability of your connection. You can have a 28MBps Ethernet connection and lag horribly if your ISPs local area router has a 700ms response time.

I Like Cheese!

Message 7 of 21 (16,375 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
904 posts

Apr 15, 2010

lb49er2003 wrote:

well, the provider is time warner road runner basic which claims to be 1.5mbps  download and 384k upload. i don't know if this info helps u guys.

thanks

that's pretty standard. i've heard some complaints about roadrunner but nothing that would suggest the service was systematically bad.

unless you have some specific problems with your install, then that service will work for online gaming. those specs are pretty average and the game designers are making games that work with specs like that.

one thing you can do once it is installed, is check the network connection test from the PS3 system menu. it has a basic test for upload/download that you can use to see if what you get is what you are paying for.

you can also point the PS3 web browser to sites like http://speedtest.net/ or http://www.pingtest.net/ . the flash is a bit sluggish on the PS3 but the results should help you know what performance you are getting. (speedtest results are not for bragging, just to help you see if there is a temporary problem)

--

--
Message 8 of 21 (16,375 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 19, 2012
with a 1.5 Mbps connection the only thing best to do is hosting a game, on a device like ps vita or small parts of good games like SOCOM FTB
With 1-8 players, that's what I use to do when the server was still up,
But with a download speeds at 200kb is not relly good for finding games
Like COD Black Ops, ( you attend to go to screen where your in the map,
And you can't shoot but move like around the map with your friend not there, also you are in the game with no function, I.E Shoot Trigger will not work and jumping will not work ) but if you do have a ps vita, for example, host a game and it will be like a 55 Mbps speed with like 20 mb
Downloads, but that's for hosting a game... And also where talking about a device, for use with ps3 will be no deffrent, Laggy as hell. Recommend
To host a game.
Message 9 of 21 (15,781 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3613 posts

Dec 20, 2012

lb49er2003 wrote:

Thanks.

Yes But it will be kind of slow.. I had it before upgrading to 3.0 That is the highest we can get where i live. it is way better but still to slow for my tastes...

Photobucket

1TB 7200RPM Destop HDD Under it's own power outside of the ps3 Smiley Tongue
Message 10 of 21 (15,761 Views)
0 Likes