Lombax Warrior
158 posts

Congratulations!!

Dec 19, 2012

I hope you enjoy your new Vita!  I know I'm loving mine.

Seta Soujiro
Message 11 of 18 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

Re: Wife got me a ps vita!!! How cool is the vita.

Dec 19, 2012

jspiewak77 wrote:

I have ps3, ipAd  iPod, laptop and and many gadgets to complete . is  the vita a add on or a miss. please let me know if it is worth i. i loved the psp and was looking in getting a psp go. what does it do and will i be amazed.

Given that you loved your PSP, you'll like your PSV. For starters, a good majority of the PSP titles can be bought on the PSV PSN and played in the PSV with the added bonus of filtering (to make the graphics a bit smoother) and dual sticks (assuming the game warrants them, like MH or Resistance: Retribution)~.

Will you be amazed? I think so. I understand your point about how tablets can play games, some of them really good ones (such as the Infinity Blade series), but a dedicated handheld will always come  on top. You know, specialized things trounce jack of all trades and all that. Your taste in games plays a role but I'd suggest you check Gravity Rush, Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation and / or Need for Speed: Most Wanted. Three open World based games that showcase just what the PSV can do~.

Of course that at this point there are quite a good number of great, must-have PSV titles. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Ragnarok Odyssey, Persona 4: The Golden...I could go on for a bit. But if you want to be amazed, try and start with one of the ones I mentioned. It'll help you become a believer that handheld consoles > tablets~.

Message 12 of 18 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Grats

Dec 19, 2012

I got my Vita at the beginning of November. Each week I have been discovering more and enjoying it even more.

Thngs I love:

near - "near" is an odd concept at first and I didn't get it until I traveled over Thankgiving. I started discovering all the Vita owners along my traveled route and at my destination 400 miles away in a major metropolis.  I discovered the addiction of sharing in-game collectibles, game levels, and bonuses. near has led me to add the first new additions to my friends list in years.

PlayStation Plus - Akin to Xbox live with a very different benefit package, Vita owners get the best bang for the buck.  I really enjoy the "instant game collection". I've enjoyed the games I'm getting for free. Add the automatic updates and cloud storage for for game saves and it is pure win on the Vita.

The experience - This year a lot of my gaming switched to my tablet away from the PC, Xbox, and PS3. Sadly my DS and PSP weren't even part of the equation anymore. That said, I barely touch my tablet for gaming since I got my Vita.  The game experience is much more rich, plus I can take it with me. I had that with the PSP as well, but the Vita is far more capable.

Titles - I've read about some genuinely awful Vita titles. However some that I have really enjoyed are: Assassin's Creed 3:Liberation, Metal Gear Solid HD pack, Super Stardust Delta, Gravity Rush, Little Big Planet Vita, the AR card titles, and Zen Pinball 2 which gives you cross console access to the tables you buy.  I am having a lot of fun with all of these games.  I have more on my list, but I am trying to wrap these up first.

Touch - The touch screen response is perfect.  I like the ways I've seen the rear touch panel used, so far adding unique and useful control in the games I play. Even the seemingly odd envelope tearing in AC3:L now is rather quaint. Touch is a big plus for me on the Vita.  It also has been a huge attention grabber for my coworkers and onlookers, the idea that a real gaming device uses touch well intrigues most people hat ask about my Vita.

Things I don't like:

Please Wait... - Sony really needs to streamline the connection process when the Vita connects to PSN and make more of it happen on background threads. Way too many non-descript Please Wait dialogs are displayed each time the Vita connects. This should be a smooth operation like what you find on a tablet. (Though part of it is due to the excellent battery conservation.)

Browser - I am getting closer to enjoying the built in browser. the 2.0 update went a long way to improving the experience. I am writing this post on my Vita and it isn't completely horrible. It isn't without its quirks though. The browser sometimes gets into reload loops, and has other glitches you may not expect from a browser. Simple functions like text selection and copy/paste are oddly missing as well.

Keyboard - I am not a stranger to touch screen keyboards with both phones and tablets in my everyday arsenal. The vita keyboard I fight with more than I think should be necessary. I do have big hands though... I often seem to miss the space bar and then also the backspace, causing an endless cycle of correction. I'm writng this post in part to get used to it, and alas I'm getting more and more annoyed.

Summary

If you are craving a real mobile gaming experience, you've got it. Expect limitations in someplaces and realize it is a gaming console first, over time the rest should keep improving,  As with any platform, choose your titles wisely.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Message 13 of 18 (103 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Dec 19, 2012

I bought my Vita last week after doing a bunch of research and it's awesome. I also have a PSP and still play it. I like the fact about the cross-play and remote play with the PS3. My only issue is with near, for me it's a pain to navigate when you want to see who else owns a Vita around you. Other than that it's great in my opinion especially the display

Message 14 of 18 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1515 posts

Dec 20, 2012

How cool is the Vita ? How cool is your wife? 

Very cool.

Message 15 of 18 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2652 posts

Dec 20, 2012

jspiewak77 wrote:

what else other then gaming can I look forward to.

you can get netflix on it.  which i use a lot lol.  theres a free app, called paint park.  just a doodling app, for when you are bored lol.  theres a facebook app for it, but its not the greatest.  it has a front and back camera, that takes pics and video.  but really i think my ipod touch camera is better.  theres a maps app.   you can get foursquare, skype, youtube.  and now theres an email app that makes your email easily accessible.  a web browser, which isnt the best, but it works. 

Message 16 of 18 (76 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Dec 20, 2012

dude  wife gave it to me early. and i opened it today i am in love. it is cool. it is meant for gaming and does a great job with music play and internet is faster and better then the old psp.content manager is also cool to use. remote play is awsome. all in all it is cool. i am on it right now. i love my wife. 

Message 17 of 18 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
842 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

DragonTechno wrote:

jspiewak77 wrote:

k sounds good i will continue to play/ and love it. just thought that 250 was alot for a gaming handheld when there are tablets out there that do way more. the input you added is great. i will keep it and enjoy the gift. what else can the vita do.

Ugh.. tablets weren't made for gaming though..

IMO tablets are great for gaming, but not necessarily for traditional console style gaming....

I have never played a grossing game on a tablet at all, except for port-overs sunch as Final Fantasy 3. So, I can't really agree with that statement. I have a tablet and I never use it except when I don't feel like going all the way downstairs to browse the web or use FaceBook.

Message 18 of 18 (54 Views)