Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 23 2012
By: Matthew110607 First Son 11 posts
Accepted Solution

WiFi Vita using a Login Page..possible?

5 replies 308 views Edited Nov 23, 2012

I am about to go to Afghanistan. I have a WiFi model Vita. I'm also bringing my laptop (MacBook Air) with me. They have "fast" internet for 200/mo there that is fast enough to play games. However, it has a login page as far as I know.

If you don't know what I mean, that means when you connect to WiFi, the internet doesn't work until you put a username and password into a browser login page. I have heard people are having a hard time with this on the Vita and PS3.

1) I hear that people are having problems with this sort of setup on the Vita/PS3, have you experienced this?

2) Is there a work around?

3) Is it possible to open my internet using the browser on my laptop then somehow share the internet with my Vita?

Message 1 of 6 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7611 posts

Re: WiFi Vita using a Login Page..possible?

Nov 23, 2012
Do you mean one of those "captive portals?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal

Yeah, it's alright. I just go to the browser and do whatever I need to get to the internet then just quit it and it will stay connected.
FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Message 2 of 6 (301 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Nov 23, 2012
Yes that's what I meant. Like a hotel log in where you have to put your room number and last name. From what I've seen on Google there are some people indicating that they are having problems. Is this solved with the newest software update or something?

I haven't actually tried it yet, just at home and with my LTE hotspot.
Message 3 of 6 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7611 posts

Nov 23, 2012
I've been to coffee shops and public libraries that have Captive Portals. All of them worked with no issues. I actually connected my Vita to the Town Center's WiFi. That worked too.

That said, it would be helpful if you can keep the connection alive, like by having Skype open on the background to keep the WiFi on. The Vita turns off the WiFi radio after a while, and that can cause you to lose login status.
FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Message 4 of 6 (295 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Nov 23, 2012
I understand, if I have to re-login I won't be upset. I mean to use it for gaming with BO nothing else really.
Message 5 of 6 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

Nov 23, 2012

I've had problems logging in from hotels, but was able to call the number provided on the login page gave them my mac address and I was loged in for my entire stay.

Message 6 of 6 (286 Views)
0 Likes