Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 18 2012
By: jb_x105strike Splicer 48 posts

Why you should not game share

[ Edited ]
378 replies 147757 views Edited Feb 21, 2014

Hello

I decided to make this post as a way to let people know about what they are setting themselves up for and also the messages they are conveying to game publishers when you provide other PSN users with your email/pw so they can download games that you have purchased.

Reason #1

Game sharing is a violation of the terms of service of the PSN and your account can be temporarily banned and/or suspended and with multiple infractions you could become permanently banned and lose access to all online progress and more importantly, all the money you spent to buy those games would be rendered useless. Consider for a second that your mother or father paid for those games. You just sent all of that money down the drain

Reason #2

The games that you buy on the PS store are for you to use on the systems that you own in your own household. Consider this, you pay 59.99 for a game on the PS store for Call of Duty Black Ops. I use that game as an example because the COD series is a runaway hit with millions of PSN users. You download it and install it but you have another system as well that you want to play it on so you log in with your PSN account on that system and download COD Black Ops to it. That is a correct usage of your game content activations. Now rewind a little bit. Say that you have purchased COD Black Ops and activated it on one system (you have one activation left) and your friend comes over and you play the game. Your friend wants to play the game on his own PS3 but he does not have the 59.99 to purchase it from the PS store. You decide to give your email and password to your friend. He creates a new user on his PS3 and signs into your PSN account and downloads COD Black Ops to his PS3 and spends the rest of the day happily playing it.

You think you have been a good friend but what you have not considered is that you have cheated Activision (the makers of COD Black Ops) out of their rightful 60 bucks. Many of the peopkle who work on these games to make them an awesome success work extremely long hours. Some work with very little sleep and many work to the point of exhaustion to ensure the game is a hit and that a lot of people will buy it. With your one act, you have literally spat in the face of Activision and all the hard work it's employees put into making COD Black Ops the runaway hit it has become. Any game maker is in business to make a profit. That is no sin as many people would have you believe. It is the very essence of business. If a business is not profitable then it will collapse. That has been true since the dawn of business.

Reason #3

Reason # 3 deals with protecting your personal information, fraudulent credit card purchases, and identity theft. When you create a PSN account you give out a lot of personal information such as first name, last name, date of birth, address, and so on. When you give out your email and password to game share you allow an untrustworthy person or even a complete stranger access to that information. I'll detail in a minute why this is undesirable. Among all that other information though is your credit card information. Say that the card does not belong to you and belongs to your mother. By giving another person this information you have also given them access to that credit card information and they can use that to make as many purchases as they want which they do and very soon there is no money in that bank account and/or credit card charges equalling hundreds, thousands, or possibly even millions of dollars. If it's the bank account you have just put your mother and possibly by extension, your entire family in an extremely unstable financial situation. Consider that that was your own personal credit card. You have just made yourself poor on your own.

As I said I'll now explain why protecting your personal information from those who have no right to it should be a priority. Many times personal information like your date of birth, first name, last name, address, and so on can be used to do certain things. For instance, your address could be used to locate your house and rob you. There have also been instances where knowing this information can allow that person to sign up for a credit card. Picture it, this person you just gave your personal information to just went and signed up for a credit card. He can then use that card as he wants, to purchase whatever he wants. A vacation to the Bahama's, a new 2013 Ford Mustang, a house, you get the picture. When somone does this they are literally pretending to be you and those charges are being made in your name and the credit card company is legally authorized to demand payment from you.. This is identity theft and I assure you it's not something you ever want to experience. It is painstakingly hard to reverse and can take several years to do so. Consider your actions caused your mother to have her identity stolen. You have just caused her a world of financial pain and forced her to spend several years correcting her credit score.

In short, keep your psn game and dlc to yourself and your own systems. I welcome all replies but please keep them constructive and relevant to the topic. I am open to debate but I ask you to do so with an open mind and a clear grasp of common sense and reason. I do not tolerate trolls and will not dignify them with much of a response except to state I believe the message to be a troll and will not feed it.

Edit: Added Debate and Opinion label and edited title

Message 1 of 379 (147,757 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1231 posts

Re: Why You Should NOT Game Share

Jul 18, 2012
hmm. imo never do it.

What is a man? (Just look above)... "The ultimate measures of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy".
Message 2 of 379 (147,746 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2398 posts

Jul 18, 2012

Only losers account share.  I've had to delete a lot of people from my friends list for asking me to account share.  I'll tell them NO and to not ask me again.  When they ask again I delete them and block them.  I am proud to be a Plus member and am proud of all the movies and games that I have bought over the years through the PSN.  I've worked a lot of overtime to be able to buy that stuff.

Message 3 of 379 (147,742 Views)
Splicer
48 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 18, 2012

Remember, a lot of the users on the PSN network are children and teenagers. I made this post partly in an effort to explain to those two castes of people why they should not game share. Sometimes children just don't know any better. The best counter to children and teens is for them to use PSN sub accounts which have to be linked to a master account belonging to an adult. That way the owner of the master account can set limits on how much he/she is able to spend and it also prevents an account thief from emptying the bank account.

Message 4 of 379 (147,729 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6059 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 10, 2013

The “PSN”/“SEN” TERMS OF SERVICE AND USER AGREEMENT says:

**You must keep your password and other account details secret (other than your Online ID), and not share them with anyone else, to prevent unauthorised use of your Sony Entertainment Network account. If you share account details with someone who uses your account in breach of these Conditions or we believe that your account has been compromised, your account and/or access to Sony Entertainment Network may be suspended or terminated.**

If you "Game Share" odds are you will get your account stolen (There is no honor among thieves) or Sony will find out and you will see this when you turn on your PS3.

201110852834m2tssnapsho.png

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 5 of 379 (147,717 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Jul 19, 2012
i only game share with family members.. :]
Message 6 of 379 (147,708 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Jul 19, 2012

i only game share with family members

Message 7 of 379 (147,708 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

Jul 20, 2012
Even if it's a family member giving them the ability to download a game they have not paid for it still stealing from the people who made the game. Allowing a family member to play the games installed on your systems is not game sharing. It's just plain sharing. However, if your brother wants the game you have installed on your PS3 on his PS3 and he doesn't live in the same house with you then he should buy it on his own. If he lives in the same house then he could just play the game on your system. When you aren't playing it of course.

Besides, family members can stab you in the back just as easily as a complete stranger you believed to be your friend. Hell, sometimes they can do it even easier. For example, **bleep** off your 10 yr old little brother and he might just decide to get on COD MW3 and give away your account info just to get back at you.
Message 8 of 379 (147,680 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

Jul 23, 2012
You think you have been a good friend but what you have not considered is that you have cheated Activision (the makers of COD Black Ops) out of their rightful 60 bucks. Many of the peopkle who work on these games to make them an awesome success work extremely long hours. Some work with very little sleep and many work to the point of exhaustion to ensure the game is a hit and that a lot of people will buy it. With your one act, you have literally spat in the face of Activision and all the hard work it's employees put into making COD Black Ops the runaway hit it has become. Any game maker is in business to make a profit. That is no sin as many people would have you believe. It is the very essence of business. If a business is not profitable then it will collapse. That has been true since the dawn of business. Thats the best reason why game share is wrong. Thanks @jb_x105strike for the info:smileyhappy:
Message 9 of 379 (147,592 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

Jul 24, 2012

You're welcome

Message 10 of 379 (147,571 Views)