MVP Support
10871 posts

Re: Why would anyone buy digital copies of store available games?

Nov 26, 2013

AaronMK wrote:

Besides being able to play it on more than one console at the same time to a lmited extent, I don't see real reasons to go "digital" instead of disc.

As far as having to go to the store to get a disc, you are either:

• Close to the store, and can get there, back and install the game in less time than it takes to download the game.
  • Far away from the store, in which case you can order from Amazon (or any online retailer), and even get "release day" or expedited shipping for less than what you spend on gas to get to the store.  You won't be spending the driving time either.

There are real benefits to going the "physical" route:

• With the disc, it is only seconds or at most a few minutes before you are playing the game on initial install, or if you have to reinstall.  With "digital" it will be hour(s) before you are playing the game .
  • You can lend, trade, and resell the disc when you are done with the game.  (Preventing this is the big reason game publishers want a shift to a "digital" future.)
  • You are not at the mercy of the "cloud" for permanant access to that game.

When I bought the PS4 digital copy of ACIV, I was playing within 5-10 minutes of making the purchase.  With the PS4, only a portion of the game needs to download before it becomes playable.  The rest of the game downloads and installs while you play.

Not sure that works with all games, but most should work this way.

Message 21 of 51 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1602 posts

Nov 26, 2013

Both has pros and cons. I prefer hard over digiital. You can have them for your collection or always sell or trade them. I always put the 2 dollar warranty on most games though. Last problem I had was back in highschool when i use to let friends borrow games lol. But now i never had a problem and my games never get a scratch/ well taken care off.

I only go digital if its some indie game in the PS store.

Message 22 of 51 (145 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 26, 2013

Is there any reason why Sony won't add external drive support through the front 3.0 USB ports to add external hard drives in the future?   

Message 23 of 51 (142 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 26, 2013

I have a 750 GB HDD, and I never run out of space, considering I store games, videos, music, pics.
So it happens there are games for me I don't  really feel like playing for a long long time, so I simply delete those - and I always have free space this way.
My reasons for digital:

- my game library extends
- discs arent piling up

and the main one:

- with 2 activations I can always share one with my friend who wants to play the game I own, if he is not sure its worth buying for him.

Message 24 of 51 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
646 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 4, 2014

reisb wrote:

Why would anyone buy digital copies of store available games?

Convenience is the primary benefit for digital, but to go a little in depth:

1. No need to get up and swap discs when changing from one game to another
  2. Playable on two consoles simultaneously
  3. No tax (depending on region)
  4. Often times, games are available to download before the games is released.  This allows the game to be played the second it is officially released, via a small unlock update.
  5. No need to drive to a store just to pick up a game.  Content can be purchased directly from a console, from a PC, from a smartphone, or any other device with a web browser (and instructed to begin downloading without needing to be home).
  6. Digital content is never out of stock
  7. Digital stores are open 24/7 (and rarely go down for extended periods of time)
  8. Faster than shipping*
  9. While using a PS3/PS4/etc away from home, you can download any of your content without being required to lug a case of CDs around*
  10. No need to have a large collection of discs taking up space
  11. Digital content cannot be lost, damaged, or stolen
  12. Potential performance advantage
  13. Digital stores carry older games which may otherwise be difficult to locate in a brick and mortar store
  14. Occasionally, digital games will be offered free-of-charge after sales have slowed, or during promotional periods
  15. Sony (and other retailers) often provide bonus PSN credit during promotional periods
  16. Reduces physical waste

These advantages do not come without disadvantages, of course.  You must decide for yourself which factors are most important.

*A reliable 8 Mb connection takes about a half a day to download 40 GB.  In this case, you can download nearly any game overnight.  You should never be required to wait more than one day to complete a game download.  This is not taking into account, some games can be played after a fraction of the game has been downloaded.

Message 25 of 51 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3790 posts

Nov 26, 2013

Decrease loading times. Allow remote play with Vita at any point without having to worry about what disc is in the PS4 at a given time.

Message 26 of 51 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Nov 26, 2013
You have to take into account that some people don't care to get the physical copy, especially if it's the same price, what's the point in wasting gas and time going to the store for a copy?

I prefer physical copies myself, but digital comes in handy. The only problem I have with digital is that prices don't go down like they do with physical copies of games.
Message 27 of 51 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
646 posts

Nov 26, 2013

Bremaine89 wrote:

The only problem I have with digital is that prices don't go down like they do with physical copies of games.

There's hope for this, now that we have a competitive digital market.

Message 28 of 51 (124 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Nov 26, 2013

I think people just like the ease of having the game already downloaded on their console and easy to access rather than chaning disks all the time. Although, I would never consider going digital unless the games became cheaper for digital versions.

reisb wrote:

I understand same price as store and not having to go there.

My quesiton is more because these games seem to take up ALOT of space (10GB for those that have discs so I assume digital is way more).  With only 500GB, won't that fill up HDD fast and then you have to delete some of the games you purchased?

Maybe I'm wrong, but curious

Message 29 of 51 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
832 posts

Nov 26, 2013

Message 30 of 51 (118 Views)
0 Likes