May 23 2013
By: jjjkuk Lombax Warrior 173 posts

Why was Sixaxis control stopped?

10 replies 153 views Edited May 23, 2013

I know, I know, it's a bit late discussing this, but I've noticed that after the Dualshock 3 came out, games have stopped utilising the Sixaxis motion feature. I do realise it's not as integral to the gaming experience as the Wii, but it could have been a neat and consistent little feature like the PS4's touch pad. I don't expect that to be as common of use as the square button, but it's there for some interesting sequences in a game. People may think either of those are just a gimmick, but they can always be used for little bits. I, for one, actually prefered playing Lair (the dragon game from '07) with the motion controls as opposed to that horrid analog sticks patch that came later on. It felt very natural and immersed me more into the experience. The hell, man?

photo 2224291_zps9f29b322.jpg
This is mah signature. It is a noice signature.
Message 1 of 11 (153 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Re: Why was Sixaxis control stopped?

May 23, 2013
Developers HATED it, and as a result were not willing to spend the time and resources to include its use in their games.
Message 2 of 11 (148 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11001 posts

May 23, 2013

jjjkuk wrote:

I know, I know, it's a bit late discussing this, but I've noticed that after the Dualshock 3 came out, games have stopped utilising the Sixaxis motion feature. I do realise it's not as integral to the gaming experience as the Wii, but it could have been a neat and consistent little feature like the PS4's touch pad. I don't expect that to be as common of use as the square button, but it's there for some interesting sequences in a game. People may think either of those are just a gimmick, but they can always be used for little bits. I, for one, actually prefered playing Lair (the dragon game from '07) with the motion controls as opposed to that horrid analog sticks patch that came later on. It felt very natural and immersed me more into the experience. The hell, man?

Sixaxis still functions, it's just not utilized by developers as much.  Even the DS4 will have sixaxis controls.

In Journey, for example, the sixaxis (as well as the right stick) directly controls the camera angle.  In Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, there are a couple of hacking sequences that use the sixaxis to control a ball-maze type of mini-game.

Message 3 of 11 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11743 posts

May 23, 2013

Heavy Rain also utilized SIXAXIS functionality heavily in 2010. There have been some other games to take advantage of the SIXAXIS input over these past few years, but mostly developers have been designing their games without it. The PlayStation 4 will retain the properties of SIXAXIS, but of course it's up to the developers to take advantage of it being there.

Message 4 of 11 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
173 posts

May 23, 2013

Jdurg wrote:
Developers HATED it, and as a result were not willing to spend the time and resources to include its use in their games.

Hm. Didn't know that. Surely not all of them hated it.

BBurgSteve wrote

Sixaxis still functions, it's just not utilized by developers as much.  Even the DS4 will have sixaxis controls.

In Journey, for example, the sixaxis (as well as the right stick) directly controls the camera angle.  In Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, there are a couple of hacking sequences that use the sixaxis to control a ball-maze type of mini-game.

Interesting. I think the Uncharted games still use it for the grenade lob, but I don't really remember. Still, I recall playing several games that had great potential for its use.

Message 5 of 11 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
173 posts

May 23, 2013
I really hope they do. Obviously, they don't have to force something in there for no reason, but it has potential for fun tidbits.

Message 6 of 11 (132 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
37254 posts

May 23, 2013

i hated when a game implemented it to use it during playing the game. it made me flick it and stuff its just stupid. i had a painful wrist and to play games to relax i have to flick the stupid controller and feel pain?

the only time i liked it was when in killzone 2 you can play around with the loading screen THATS IT

Message 7 of 11 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
173 posts

May 23, 2013

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

i hated when a game implemented it to use it during playing the game. it made me flick it and stuff its just stupid. i had a painful wrist and to play games to relax i have to flick the stupid controller and feel pain?

the only time i liked it was when in killzone 2 you can play around with the loading screen THATS IT

Well, they weren't forcefully shoving moves. The flicks weren't that bad, although you had to be somewhat accurate with the gestures. If you were hurting your wrists, you were obviously doing it wrong.

Message 8 of 11 (117 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 23, 2013

jjjkuk wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

Well, they weren't forcefully shoving moves. The flicks weren't that bad, although you had to be somewhat accurate with the gestures. If you were hurting your wrists, you were obviously doing it wrong.

Don't be so quick to judge.  If one already has wrist injuries from other things, even if doing something right it can elicit pain.  I have shattered my right foot/ankle many times in my life.  There is always a constant ache there due to all the damage from the fractures/sprains/twists.  When I walk, there is discomfort.  Does that mean I'm walking wrong?  Absolutely not.

Message 9 of 11 (103 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
37254 posts

May 23, 2013

jjjkuk wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

my wrist was already hurt from something unrelated. playing a game that requires you to flick controllers just made it more painful.

Message 10 of 11 (102 Views)
0 Likes