PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Why the PS3 isn't getting a price cut.

Oct 28, 2012

xChrisGTRx wrote:
i don't know many people even in this day an age who gets a game system just to sit offline the whole time somebody's going to want to get online even if its just to watch netflix (which is cheaper than buying cable and runs the same shows).... Now add in Hard times we are all going thru no one's rich so adding another $60 to play online for a few hours then to get a game is another $60 unless you find someone with it cheaper on Craigslist (if its new your not going to find it much cheaper) so right there is already $120 plus tax just to play with friends (or randoms) for a few hours not really worth it

When Netflix was added to the X360 for the first time, it was the first implementation on a device that could connect to a TV and it was exclusive to the X360 for a while. So at that time it was worthwhile to some to buy XBL gold to access it. Today you can get Netflix for free on a variety of devices (I believe the PS3 is the most popular platform), so Microsoft can't leverage that aspect so much anymore. Since then Microsoft has added a lot more services to make it worthwhile to subscribe, if they appeal to you.

So I agree it isn't worthwhile to subscribe to XBL Gold just to access a few services, you might be able to get cheaper elsewhere. But if a whole bunch appeal to you (along with online gaming), then it could be a good value. 

The point is it depends on the individual, and is completely optional...

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 19 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1387 posts

Oct 28, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

xChrisGTRx wrote:
i don't know many people even in this day an age who gets a game system just to sit offline the whole time somebody's going to want to get online even if its just to watch netflix (which is cheaper than buying cable and runs the same shows).... Now add in Hard times we are all going thru no one's rich so adding another $60 to play online for a few hours then to get a game is another $60 unless you find someone with it cheaper on Craigslist (if its new your not going to find it much cheaper) so right there is already $120 plus tax just to play with friends (or randoms) for a few hours not really worth it

When Netflix was added to the X360 for the first time, it was the first implementation on a device that could connect to a TV and it was exclusive to the X360 for a while. So at that time it was worthwhile to some to buy XBL gold to access it. Today you can get Netflix for free on a variety of devices (I believe the PS3 is the most popular platform), so Microsoft can't leverage that aspect so much anymore. Since then Microsoft has added a lot more services to make it worthwhile to subscribe, if they appeal to you.

So I agree it isn't worthwhile to subscribe to XBL Gold just to access a few services, you might be able to get cheaper elsewhere. But if a whole bunch appeal to you (along with online gaming), then it could be a good value. 

True i think i see what your saying to regular john doe isnt going to take time to research about the xbox360 or the ps3 they are going to see which is cheaper (x360) and go for the cheapest i have all 3 systems but spend most of my time on the ps3 its easier to have everything free than to add another bill on top of all the bills i have now anyway but im just cheap LOL

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 19 (101 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 28, 2012

actually you can use any usb external hard drive for xbox 360...

and people like reliable chat service too... xbox live party rocks.

though i do love what Sony are doing with the PS+ service.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 19 (94 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23897 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 28, 2012

xChrisGTRx wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

xChrisGTRx wrote:

True i think i see what your saying to regular john doe isnt going to take time to research about the xbox360 or the ps3 they are going to see which is cheaper (x360) and go for the cheapest i have all 3 systems but spend most of my time on the ps3 its easier to have everything free than to add another bill on top of all the bills i have now anyway but im just cheap LOL

That's the very definition of "McDonaldization". They're giving you something cheap, and you believe "well it's cheap, therefore it must be a good value". That's not always the case. The other aspect of this is that people don't tend to think for themselves, and they will buy what everyone else has already bought, simply because they want to "keep up with the Joneses". You can't be the only one on the block without a shiney new SUV or XBox. How many have bought something because "well, all my friends have one".

We've had an entire generation that's grown up buying nothing but cheap crap at Wal Mart, and now that whole philosophy of "A thousand cheap products are better than one good one" as permeated to all facets of of the consumer culture. I wonder how many will line up to buy their first car made in China when they start shipping to the U.S.

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 19 (76 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 29, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

xChrisGTRx wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

xChrisGTRx wrote:

That's the very definition of "McDonaldization". They're giving you something cheap, and you believe "well it's cheap, therefore it must be a good value". That's not always the case. The other aspect of this is that people don't tend to think for themselves, and they will buy what everyone else has already bought, simply because they want to "keep up with the Joneses". You can't be the only one on the block without a shiney new SUV or XBox. How many have bought something because "well, all my friends have one".

We've had an entire generation that's grown up buying nothing but cheap crap at Wal Mart, and now that whole philosophy of "A thousand cheap products are better than one good one" as permeated to all facets of of the consumer culture.

You certainly have some unique views, that seem to routinely group people in catagories you deem appropriate. IMO people can't be catigorized quite that simply.

I don't even understand your Wal-Mart comment. Wal-Mart sells the same stuff you can find at any major store, and often for less.

With the X360 you don't actually need to have XBL Gold (or a hard drive for that matter) to enjoy the system. That has allowed them to make their system cheaper at the low end, and price competitive with the PS3 on the high end. 

Do you own a X360? Because based on your comments on this matter, you don't appear to know what you are talking about...

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 19 (70 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Oct 30, 2012

With the new model 500 GB HDD and Assissin's Creed III for $300.00 is a very good price.

Play games to " RELAX "
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 19 (54 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Oct 30, 2012
ps3 's have better deals for the money then xbox without a doubt .
Just bought my 320g ps3 last month after looking at all the deals from the retailers and xbox deals ps3 was a much better deal . I got the mw3 bundle for 299.
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 19 (38 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Oct 30, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Here is an interesting article speculating on why the PS3 isn't getting a price cut this year...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-16-ps3-could-lose-more-market-share-without-price-cu

Because they MAKE MONEY AT SONY.  Why shorten profits, when plenty of people will pay the full price.  At least these are my opinions.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 19 (36 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 31, 2012

moblesuit75 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Here is an interesting article speculating on why the PS3 isn't getting a price cut this year...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-16-ps3-could-lose-more-market-share-without-price-cu

Because they MAKE MONEY AT SONY.  Why shorten profits, when plenty of people will pay the full price.  At least these are my opinions.

Moble

As it stands Sony as a whole (including the Playstation division) is losing money. While a price cut would likely stimulate sales, it probably wouldn't help Sony's bottom line in the end...

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 19 (33 Views)
0 Likes