By: Logical_Dolphin PIayStation MVP 12905 posts

Why the PS3 isn't getting a price cut.

18 replies 296 views Edited Oct 28, 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 19 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2607 posts

Re: Why the PS3 isn't getting a price cut.

Oct 28, 2012

I think they're waiting until they announce the PS4 before they cut the price.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 19 (294 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9700 posts

Oct 28, 2012
I think the current PS3 price is quite reasonable considering all it does.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 19 (291 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 28, 2012

cobrafang wrote:

It is reasonable, however the general public IMO may see the PS3 and X360 as being generally about the same. Microsoft is getting more aggresive with their pricing, with their recent $50 price cuts on a few of their X360 models; while the PS3 pricing appears to be staying still or increasing.

I think (like last year) Sony will offer a discounted PS3 bundle just for Black Friday, hopefully around the $200 mark...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 19 (282 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24701 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 28, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

cobrafang wrote:

It is reasonable, however the general public IMO may see the PS3 and X360 as being generally about the same. Microsoft is getting more aggresive with their pricing, with their recent $50 price cuts on a few of their X360 models; while the PS3 pricing appears to be staying still or increasing.

I think (like last year) Sony will offer a discounted PS3 bundle just for Black Friday, hopefully around the $200 mark...

The "general public" isn't going to feel so good about that XBox 360 price cut when they go socked for XBox Live. Or a proprietary hard drive for that matter.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 19 (280 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 28, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

cobrafang wrote:

The "general public" isn't going to feel so good about that XBox 360 price cut when they go socked for XBox Live.

Who says they have to get XBL gold? The X360 is perfectly enjoyable without it. On the other hand XBL Gold has grown so much and added new features, that the price doesn't seem that bad (assuming you like the services it offers)...

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 19 (272 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24701 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 28, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

cobrafang wrote:

The "general public" isn't going to feel so good about that XBox 360 price cut when they go socked for XBox Live.

Who says they have to get XBL gold? The X360 is perfectly enjoyable without it. On the other hand XBL Gold has grown so much and added new features, that the price doesn't seem that bad (assuming you like the services it offers)...

Bro, figure it out. You think you're getting a bargain, and then you get socked for ANOTHER $60. Now rather than think about it as a "gamer" think about it as one fo the general public you believe that will be so enamored with their new "bargain" 360.

Just because they're giving you a product cheap doesn't mean it's a good value. Now I know you're going to say "yes it does" followed by a convoluted justification, so before you do look up a term called "McDonaldization".

Furhtermore, that $99 XBox 360 comes with a two year XBox Live Gold CONTRACT. That's right, you have to sign up for it. Not such a bargain now, is it?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 19 (270 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 28, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

cobrafang wrote:

Bro, figure it out. You think you're getting a bargain, and then you get socked for ANOTHER $60. Now rather than think about it as a "gamer" think about it as one fo the general public you believe that will be so enamored with their new "bargain" 360.

Just because they're giving you a product cheap doesn't mean it's a good value. Now I know you're going to say "yes it does", so before you do look up a term called "McDonaldization".

I'm not seeing a point being made here. XBL Gold is an optional service, meaning it is not required. You seem to believe otherwise.

Even with their basic Free XBL service, there is plenty to do...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 19 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1388 posts

Oct 28, 2012
i don't know many people even in this day an age who gets a game system just to sit offline the whole time somebody's going to want to get online even if its just to watch netflix (which is cheaper than buying cable and runs the same shows).... Now add in Hard times we are all going thru no one's rich so adding another $60 to play online for a few hours then to get a game is another $60 unless you find someone with it cheaper on Craigslist (if its new your not going to find it much cheaper) so right there is already $120 plus tax just to play with friends (or randoms) for a few hours not really worth it
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 19 (254 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 28, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

cobrafang wrote:

Just because they're giving you a product cheap doesn't mean it's a good value. Now I know you're going to say "yes it does" followed by a convoluted justification, so before you do look up a term called "McDonaldization".

Furhtermore, that $99 XBox 360 comes with a two year XBox Live Gold CONTRACT. That's right, you have to sign up for it. Not such a bargain now, is it?

Now you are going a bit off topic, because I hadn't mentioned that program. Although I had heard that this program was going to be implemented at GameStops & Best Buys, it hasn't happened yet. I believe only Microsoft Stores are selling it with that program, and they are testing out its viability. Based on what you pay over the course of that contract you are paying a bit more than if you paid full price to start with, but you can't expect to get something for nothing. You might as well talk about how cell phone carriers force you to buy certain levels of data plans over the couse of a contract while your at it.

The fact remains that Microsoft (in regular retail stores) has lowered two of their system configurations by $50. Their 4GB/Kinetic bundle and their 250GB bundle, both priced at $250, $20 less than the 250GB superslim bundle. I believe some customers are going to see the X360 and PS3 on the shelf togeather and deem that the X360 is the better value...

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 19 (254 Views)
0 Likes