Mar 14 2013
By: GamerJon92 Uncharted Territory 1425 posts

Why dont the ps3 have more apps like IGN,Gamespot,Maxim,Twitter,Instagram

10 replies 714 views Edited Mar 14, 2013

i like that sony focuses for on games then media unlike microsoft but would be cool to have more apps like i listed.

Message 1 of 11 (714 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

Re: Why dont the ps3 have more apps like IGN,Gamespot,Maxim,Twitter,Instagram

Mar 14, 2013
I don't think that all these apps are needed. It breaks away from what playstation is, a gaming system. All this extra social stuff has nothing to do with gaming. Facebook is even out of the focal point, but was integrated as a way to share your gaming accomplishments (trophies). Twitter has no way of integrating this into it, maxim and Instagram don't have any way of integrating anything remotely related to gaming either, so their apps would be completely pointless.
My PSN
Message 2 of 11 (698 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
135 posts

Mar 14, 2013

GamerJon92 wrote:

i like that sony focuses for on games then media unlike microsoft but would be cool to have more apps like i listed.

I don't think they are required, I mean it already has netflix, hulu etc. It is a great console you can use in your living room. Watch movies with your friends (remember it has BD) , view some pictures with your family you took on that vacations, use Music Unlimited to Party!!. Twitter, FB etc are stuff best done on a PC.  

Message 3 of 11 (689 Views)
Wastelander
809 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 14, 2013

JamesBlessonS wrote:

GamerJon92 wrote:

I don't think they are required, I mean it already has netflix, hulu etc. It is a great console you can use in your living room. Watch movies with your friends (remember it has BD) , view some pictures with your family you took on that vacations, use Music Unlimited to Party!!. Twitter, FB etc are stuff best done on a PC.  

Pfft, not needed, I say the more apps the PS3 has the merrier! Its stupid that my Sony TV has more apps than my PS3!

My gaming history - NES, PS1, PS2, GBA SP, NDS, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One
Message 4 of 11 (675 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

Mar 14, 2013
Your Sony tv is designed to be a general media display device. The ps3 is designed for gaming.
My PSN
Message 5 of 11 (670 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
809 posts

Re: Why don't the ps3 have more apps like IGN,Gamespot,Maxim,Twitter,Instagram

[ Edited ]
Mar 14, 2013

the_ed_85 wrote:
Your Sony tv is designed to be a general media display device. The ps3 is designed for gaming.

Sony designed the PS3 to be media center device, not just a gaming device!

That's why they added Blu-Ray, a web browser - that sucks anyways, media streaming - which is awesome, a hdd, and apps.

Sony should definitely team up with content providers to develop more apps for the PS3, don't tell me you wouln't like Slacker or Pandora on your PS3 both which my tv has.

My gaming history - NES, PS1, PS2, GBA SP, NDS, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One
Message 6 of 11 (666 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29426 posts

Mar 14, 2013

It's because it's a game console, not an iPhone.

Message 7 of 11 (654 Views)
Lombax Warrior
135 posts

Re: Why don't the ps3 have more apps like IGN,Gamespot,Maxim,Twitter,Instagram

Mar 17, 2013

cross12095 wrote:

the_ed_85 wrote:

Sony designed the PS3 to be media center device, not just a gaming device!

That's why they added Blu-Ray, a web browser - that sucks anyways, media streaming - which is awesome, a hdd, and apps.

Sony should definitely team up with content providers to develop more apps for the PS3, don't tell me you wouln't like Slacker or Pandora on your PS3 both which my tv has.

yeah but look at the prices, PS3 is like 250 dollars or something. And it was launched in 2006. What apps did your TV have back then?

Message 8 of 11 (624 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1102 posts

Mar 17, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

It's because it's a game console, not an iPhone.

I agree, you want apps, get an iphone. The PS3 is a gaming system, not an app system. You need to save your HDD space for games, at least I do.

Message 9 of 11 (620 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

Mar 18, 2013
The ps3 is not a general media device. It is designed for gaming. Blu-ray was not originally designed for movies, it was designed for the ps3 to store more detailed images that were to be used in games. Blu-ray moved into the movie industry because of Sony Pictures. The Playstation brand has always been and always will be a gaming focused brand. It is not a general media device, nor has it ever been.
My PSN
Message 10 of 11 (606 Views)