Fender Bender
4223 posts

Re: Why doesnt sony stop hackers

Jan 30, 2011

kiojk wrote:

yea, but cant an update competly change the software. I mean what if they start from scratch again to write the software?

that takes a lot of time and money...all they can do is firmware updates and ban the systems

Message 10 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
118 posts

Jan 30, 2011

I own the hardware. Sony seems to think that they are within their rights to reduce the functionality of the system that I own. To be specific, the system that I bought was advertised by Sony to be able to run Linux AND access the PSN and play online games. I purchased the system with this understanding. Sony thinks that they are within their rights to change these terms post-purchase. I will also point out that the US Supreme Court said that, for instance, "jailbreaking" the iPhone (i.e an electronic device not-unlike a PS3) was a legitimate act.

Message 11 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
131 posts

Jan 30, 2011

for jailbreaking an Iphone thats was just to unlock it so it can be used with different carriers instead of only ATT it wasnt so people could put emulators and other stuff no it that they dont own the rights to

Message 12 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jan 30, 2011

I understand that jailbreaking something to get its full potential is nice but, the fact that peope are using this as a loophole so they can cheat and rop off copyrights that programers busted there buttsn for

Message 13 of 30 (154 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Jan 30, 2011

socom has had cheaters since day one if sony cant get their stuff together than maybee i should switch to another game console.

Message 14 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29178 posts

Jan 30, 2011

Astronomerguy wrote:

I own the hardware. Sony seems to think that they are within their rights to reduce the functionality of the system that I own. To be specific, the system that I bought was advertised by Sony to be able to run Linux AND access the PSN and play online games. I purchased the system with this understanding. Sony thinks that they are within their rights to change these terms post-purchase. I will also point out that the US Supreme Court said that, for instance, "jailbreaking" the iPhone (i.e an electronic device not-unlike a PS3) was a legitimate act.

Show me one print ad, television commercial, or radio commercial that says "The PS3 runs Linux". You can't, because they never made one. An obscure quote from a web article is not "advertising". A lot of you guys point to that one interview that Tretton did and scream "LOOK! THERE IS IT IS!! THEY ADVERTISED IT!!", saying that it falls under the definition because it's "public information". That's not advertising. If it were, then this week would be the largest campaign for the Egyptian Board of Tourism that the world has ever seen.

As usual with gamers, you bring up something that has little bearing to this case. "Jailbreaking" an iPhone is not the same, reason being is that case, it's to open it to work with other providers. Now the gamer in you is going to "NO! IT'S THE SAME THING I KNOW IT IS!!". It's not. The reason why is the INTENT of the "jailbreak" of the PS3, and that's to install software to enable piracy.

Sony is within their rights to PROTECT THEIR BUSINESS. If you ran a business, and someone broke down the doors and allowed anyone to walk in a rob you blind, I would think you'd want to throw the proverbial book at them too. If you think for one moment that "this is different and Sony should be 'swell guys' and look the other way", then you're just being naive. Furthermore, we wouldn't be having this debate if one Mr. George Hotz ( I REFUSE to use his hacker alias) was able to exercise some self control and keep this to himself. I know gamers aren't going to blame one of their own, and more are certain rather than right that Sony is the "bad guy" in all of this. After all it's easier to blame the evil, faceless corporation than turn on one of you own.

I don't have an ending here so I'll leave it at that. 

Message 15 of 30 (154 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Jan 31, 2011

Now that the PS3's root keys are all over the internet going after geohot will do little good for Sony, except revenge against the man who caused it. Although this may sound like accepting defeat I feel Sony should update the PS3 and re-add OtherOS. Perhaps doing so will prevent many people from hacking it just for that feature. If someone goes to hack the PS3 for OtherOS so they can run Linux and then realize they can play hacked games most likely since they can't access the PS store, or PSN anyway they will be more likely to hack. However, If OtherOS is brought back why hack the system when the feature you want is there?

Message 16 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29178 posts

Jan 31, 2011

Suing George Hotz isn't about "revenge" or to get back at anyone, it's about making an example out of him. This is about instilling the "fear of God" into the hacking community. "You think you can't be found? You think you're safe behind a screen name? Well guess what? We found you!". The other thing that many don't seem to realize is that Sony doesn't want their trade secrets all over the place, for anyone to use for some underhanded purpose. There's a bigger picture here.

They aren't going to restore the OtherOS feature. That's the backdoor that lead to this situation. If George Hotz hadn't cracked it, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. This is no longer about the OtherOS. Not for nothing, this guy is 21 years old, he should know better. I have little sympathy for him. From what I've read (and which I don't see anyone pointing out) is that a judge in the Norther California District Court has granted Sony a temporary restraining order. He can not distribute any information, and he has to turn over all his computers for the time being.

http://www.411mania.com/games/news/172103/Sony-Wins-In-Court-Against-PS3-Hacker.htm

You kick the hornets nest, you're bound to get stung.

Message 17 of 30 (154 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Feb 1, 2011

Astronomerguy wrote:

To quote yourself: (from this thread http://community.us.playstation.com/message/26614851#26614851)

"I use it occasionally. It's nice when I've got the flu and I'm crashed on the couch and want to surf/email without having to get up and walk down the hall to the office."

Sounds like something most people wouldn't mind giving up for the benefit of being able to play a game online without having their experience ruined by hackers and cheaters. And to know that developers will continue to be comfortable developing games for the PS3 without being afraid of running losses due to piracy.

I know standing up for ones rights is important, but you also have to be reasonable. The option here was to either remove the ability of running linux, or leave the PS3 wide open for hackers and cheaters to ruining everyones online experience (and risk loosing developer support). Would you really rather have seen them choosing the latter?

I am certain that Sony would have wanted to keep the linux support in there if possible. After all, it was them who decided to put it in there in the first place, on their own, without it ever being something that their consumers was asking for. But that happens to be where the big hole in security was, and there wasn't much of an option for them.

to quote yourself again "Honestly, I did it because I could, sort of a hobby thing."

So once again, when it's the only solution, would you still have wanted Sony to leave the hole in security, and risk the future of the entire console? Would that really be more responsible towards the consumer?

Even from the consumers perspective, it was with no doubt the right thing to do. You can't expect Sony to rather cater to the "needs" of 0.01% (if even that many?) of their consumers, instead of the other 99.99%?

It's impossible to please 100% of the world 100% of the time. And while I do think consumer rights and standing up for them is an important thing, I'm still VERY happy that Sony choose to keep the online experience enjoyable for me and the other 99.999% of their consumers, and keeping the PS3 interesting for developers, rather then making sure that you can, as you put it yourself, do something you did only because you could. And can you really argue against that?

To round things up, I'm sorry that you lost the ability to run Linux on your PS3 since you seem to be one of the few who actually DID use linux (I promise you, most of the time people use the arguments you used it's nothing but an attempt to justify a jailbreak, while their intentions with the jailbreak is anything but running linux ) . Obviously it's no fun for you, even if you didn't use it a lot. I'm just hoping that you can see what I mean when I say that Sony did the right thing, not only for themselves and the brand but also for their consumers.

Oh and one last thing. To anyone who has been reading my post; english isn't my first language, so if there are any errors in my grammar or spelling, please refrain from giving me shit about it.

Message 19 of 30 (154 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5067 posts

Feb 1, 2011

Oxar wrote:

.......Oh and one last thing. To anyone who has been reading my post; english isn't my first language, so if there are any errors in my grammar or spelling, please refrain from giving me **** about it.

First of all, that was an excellent post.

Also, Don't worry about your grammar, etc. Your post is MUCH BETTER than a lot of us English speaking Americans that I've seen here.

Message 20 of 30 (154 Views)
0 Likes