Apr 30 2012
By: DyingFetus Hekseville Citizen 287 posts

Why doesn't the PS3 have Skype?

26 replies 591 views Edited Apr 30, 2012

I would love to see Skype come to the PS3, what about you? Sony has the contract rights to do so, I believe since its on the PSP and coming to Vita soon. I would use it everyday from my PSP to my PS3 at home while at work. I think it would be a selling point also for the PS3 and Vita even the PSP. Maybe not but thats my thoughts. Even if it was only talk, although I hope it would have video too. Could be fun to use it in Home or while watching movies, could connect with friends and family while in Home or watching movies. Cross game chat could be possible with skype even, there are numerous possibilities wonder why Sony hasnt done this yet?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 27 (591 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23820 posts

Re: Why doesn't the PS3 have Skype?

Apr 30, 2012

Probably for some very technical reasons having to do with the system RAM. It would seem rather redundant, since you can install it on your PC.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 27 (591 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
287 posts

May 1, 2012

if you have a pc, dont assume everyone does. but im sure it is a technical reason. also with that logic then its redundant to have a web browser, netflix, amazon video, and qirocity on the ps3. not a good mind set.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 27 (591 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23820 posts

May 1, 2012

DyingFetus wrote:

if you have a pc, dont assume everyone does. but im sure it is a technical reason. also with that logic then its redundant to have a web browser, netflix, amazon video, and qirocity on the ps3. not a good mind set.

Really? You're going to say that in 2012? Especially considering that you can get the internet on a cell phone these days?

According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, 76% of American households own a computer. And that was in 2008 when that particular study was commisioned, so the number is probably higher by now.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/focus/volume1_number4/cex_1_4.htm

According to CNN, in 2011 90% of Americans owned some sort of computerize gadget.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-02-03/tech/texting.photos.gahran_1_cell-phone-landline-tech-gadget?_s=P...

I know it's the "gamer" instinct to sit there and say "C'MON SONY!!", but with iPhones, iPads, Nooks, Kindles, Droids, and all the other stuff, and considering that laptops and PCs are realively cheap these days, you can easily forego having Skype on one device. Heck, you can even get a PC for FREE if you ask around enough.

I would have bought the argument that not everyone has a computer back in 1994, even in 1998, but there's no way I'm buying it in 2012.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 27 (591 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

May 1, 2012

you would have to be some fool to actually own a ps3 but not a computer.....i guess some people put their priorities in the rear because i would think a pc is more needed than a ps3 but maybe thats just me..lol..i dont think i know a single person that don't own at least 1 pc..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 27 (591 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23820 posts

May 1, 2012

kythunder wrote:

you would have to be some fool to actually own a ps3 but not a computer.....i guess some people put their priorities in the rear because i would think a pc is more needed than a ps3 but maybe thats just me..lol..i dont think i know a single person that don't own at least 1 pc..

I really think it feeds into the whole mindset of "all or nothing". It just seems like there's this prevailing thought process of "well I have a PS3, now I won't need anything else!". I also think that many were of the false belief that the PS3 would be a PC substitute "on the cheap". The PS3 was meant to be an addition to your home entertainment center. No matter what the PS3 can do or will do, there's some things that the PC will still do much better. and much more efficiently.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 27 (591 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

May 1, 2012

well said...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 27 (591 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

May 2, 2012

I think you should be able to connect a webcam to the PS3 so that you could use skype... Ive been wondering the same as you

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 27 (591 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
287 posts

May 2, 2012

no i said I want skype on the PS3, did you miss the headline? Idiots amaze me also... i have an ipod with skype and psp with skype. my entire question was about having skype on the ps3, I dont know how to be more clear. how did albator become an MVP with his uselessness. read the entire post before flexing your fingers ky...

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 27 (591 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
287 posts

May 2, 2012

the ps3 already has a cam, the PSeye toy, so it could easily utilize skype. If there arent any technical limitations, but that was my question...

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 27 (591 Views)
0 Likes