Oct 26 2012
By: R_a_z_i_e_l First Son 8 posts

Why does Sony give me MORE reason's to buy Retail/Used and not Digital ? (PSN Store Prices Insane)

14 replies 292 views Edited Oct 26, 2012

AUS PSN Store.Smiley Frustratedtreet Fighter X Tekken $62.95.

Jb HiFi: Street Fighter X Tekken $59.00

OzGameShop: Street Fighter X Tekken $47.95

Why is the Store price THAT HIGH considering how much cheaper it is for a game to be digital.

I wan't to go full digital games because I prefer to not switch out a game whenever I feel like playing another, yet im punished for buying digital. I have to buy expensive Memory Cards, Prices that are the same as retail OR HIGHER AND im not contributing to the Used game market if I feel like trading a game in or buying it preowned. 

Message 1 of 15 (292 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2613 posts

Re: Why does Sony give me MORE reason's to buy Retail/Used and not Digital ? (PSN Store Prices Insan

Oct 26, 2012

Yes, but digital can be pirated an infinite amount of times as opposed to physical. That's one of the reasons why it may be more expensive.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 2 of 15 (280 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

Re: Why does Sony give me MORE reason's to buy Retail/Used and not Digital ? (PSN Store Prices Insan

Oct 26, 2012

Well as most games retail/new come with online passes now, Sony pretty much already killed the used gaming market which is completely fair. They make literally no money from any used games and you will be missing out when you buy a used game that has mutliplayer online and you are stuck without that online pass, having to purchase another just for the used game.

As far as digital goes, sure it is great but with how many people are being hacked lately and just the hacking in general that has been going on lately, I for one will always prefer phsyical copies. Simply because it is safer. Just like I won't store my entire computers hard drive on some Cloud.

It could be any random day, PSN get's uber hacked again and who knows what will happen. I am not the person to take those chances, I keep all my money in a safe for good reason.

Not a bank where I could easily have it stolen, hacked or whatever and never see a dime of it again. I mean realistically with how big games are now, even a 64GB card for an enthusiast could easily be filled. I just don't ever see digital being the main thing because you will end up running out of space regardless and still end up switching out those game cards.

I mean in that situation it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't. You buy the physical copies yes its more of hassle and you have a bunch of them laying around but is it any worse than spending a ton on memory cards everytime you fill one up.. I couldn't tell you which is worse, I can only tell you what I think is safer.

Message 3 of 15 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Oct 26, 2012
I buy physical whenever possible. Only bought two digital games this month because I was bored and got the PSN promotion.
Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 4 of 15 (269 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

Oct 26, 2012

Sorry for the double post but I figured it would be easier to just read this, instead of adding it to my already long letter.

I also look at this way plain and simple, if all hell breaks loose and the apacolypse goes down or we get attacked by nuclear bombs, solar flares ect.. and we lose all electricity.

I know one thing, at least I'll have my Vita, physical copies of my games to play and a generator to charge it on that is solar powered, if the sun goes out I got another generator for that as well. So it should keep me busy at least until bath salt driven zombies kill me.

Message 5 of 15 (268 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
215 posts

Oct 26, 2012

Their digital market is fueled by a lie (or a big exxageration) that digital games are cheaper than physicl copies...and only fools believe that.

Message 6 of 15 (249 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Oct 26, 2012

Yea it is. Amazon is a great example wipeout, mortal combat, and fifa are all priced below 25$. What does sony do? Charge full price as if the game came out this week? And that is why they are losing money to gamestop, amazon, and other retail stores. I nolonger support the digital market because the prices are nuts!

Message 7 of 15 (236 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
133 posts

Oct 26, 2012

Without doubt, there are pro’s and con’s for both physical and digital versions of software.  I prefer digital versions as I am fed up with changing disc and carrying around small memory cards which can easily get lost or damaged.

To address the argument of price justification of digital versus physical, you must understand a few things.  First, the cost of manufacturing an actual disc is just a matter of cents.  Also, consider that most new games only included a printed cover and rarely contain inserts.  The complete cost of physical media is minimal even after you add the cost of the plastic case.  In fact, back in 2006, the average cost to manufacture a CD was only $0.18 USD.  I’m quite positive it doesn’t cost much more to manufacture on Blu-ray media. 

I am not a Sony representative, but consider this…  Digital distribution can actually cost more for some companies than physical products.  The cost of maintaining a network is not cheap.  Bandwidth can be very expensive.  If you pay your internet bill, you’ll know exactly what I am talking about.  There is no doubt that Sony has a massive and reliable network that sustains incredible speeds which can distribute movies, music, and games on demand.  As a consumer, I have never experienced network slow down during peak traffic of the holiday season.   Also to add, consider the amount of employees it takes to run and maintain a large network.  10- 15 skilled employees can cost over $1,000,000 per year.  Also consider the cost of securing a large network…  any idea?

Message 8 of 15 (226 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1022 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 26, 2012

What I have read several times over the years is that retail chains don't allow console companies to sell games cheaper digitally with the exception of occasional sales.  A store like Target doesn't make much off video game sales, and if Sony (for example) is selling Mortal Kombat for $40 when they sell it for $60, Target is going to loose a lot of money because most people will then buy digitally.

So basically the retail market has stood together and said that if the console companies offer digital games cheaper than suggested retail value, they will refuse to sell that game in store.

I'm paraphrasing like crazy because it's been a long time since I've read that and can't even remember where I've read it, but that's the basic gist.  And I'll tell you what, it sounds pretty logical to me.  I know how low the retail markup is on electronics, especially video games.  Retail outlets would be screwed if digital prices on what they offer was that much lower than the physical copies.  They are already struggling to compete with online stores like Amazon.

Message 9 of 15 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
582 posts

Oct 26, 2012

If you like convenience.go online, but if you're looking to be more resourceful with your money, you ought to go the retail way.

Here are my reasons.

1. Games get older and cheaper with time. so there no reason to spend $40 for a game that will cost $15 five months later.
  2. Next month PS PLUS will start giving out free games and discounts on the psn store for VITA owner. Why buy a game online when there a possibility that you'll get it free later.
  3. Retail prices are way cheaper that the ones online, plus saving and discounts are also better on retail stores.
  4. With a receipt, there a chance of getting your money back when returning games.

sorry for the grammar.

Message 10 of 15 (188 Views)
0 Likes