Apr 26 2012
By: neuropunk Lombax Warrior 220 posts

Why does Sony focus more on shooters than RPGs?

14 replies 57 views Edited Apr 26, 2012

Sony must have a bad memory, since it was RPGs that put the Playstation brand on the map in the first place. RPGs were the system sellers for the PS1 and PS2, not to mention the variety of games was broader in previous gens.

There are a few RPG gems on PS3, but this generation overall has been majorly disappointing. I am wondering why Sony focuses on generic shooters rather than first and second party studios to make both JRPGs and WRPGs, but instead, Sony seems to treat the RPG genre like trash.

I would seriously love to see some Sony made RPGs. No more shootie exclusives please! Just because a game is a shooter does not mean it will sell well, FYI.

Message 1 of 15 (57 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29406 posts

Re: Why does Sony focus more on shooters than RPGs?

Apr 26, 2012

neuropunk wrote:

Sony must have a bad memory, since it was RPGs that put the Playstation brand on the map in the first place. RPGs were the system sellers for the PS1 and PS2, not to mention the variety of games was broader in previous gens.

There are a few RPG gems on PS3, but this generation overall has been majorly disappointing. I am wondering why Sony focuses on generic shooters rather than first and second party studios to make both JRPGs and WRPGs, but instead, Sony seems to treat the RPG genre like trash.

I would seriously love to see some Sony made RPGs. No more shootie exclusives please! Just because a game is a shooter does not mean it will sell well, FYI.

First off, Sony only has a couple of games that are as you call them "generic shooters". Only two, Resistence and Killzone come to mind. Second, there's something you learn about in Economics 101 called "shift in consumer tastes". This generation shooters are more prevelant because they've been what players want. Any number of reasons are why. Shorter attention spans. Player friendliness. Online play. Faster gameplay, etc.

Lastly, Sony doesn't make every game. If by JRPG's you're referring to Final Fantasy, that series is made by Square Enix, not Sony.

Message 2 of 15 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Apr 26, 2012

Well the big shooters that are out these days are not made by sony, like call of duty or battlefield.

Message 3 of 15 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Apr 26, 2012

MAG

Socom 4

Socom Confrontation
Starhawk

etc. etc.

There is no shift in consumer tastes. The problem is that video game companies do not cater to what people want. For example, the outcry for AAA turn based JRPGs is ignored (I did say WRPGs too, not just JRPGs and Final Fantasy, believe it or not is not the only JRPG series). The reason why people do not buy quality turn based JRPGs is because video game devs refuse to make them.

And think of this, aside from Free Realms (ignoring the actual quality of the game), is the only RPG made by a Sony studio.

Message 4 of 15 (57 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29406 posts

Apr 26, 2012

neuropunk wrote:

MAG

Socom 4

Socom Confrontation
Starhawk

etc. etc.

There is no shift in consumer tastes. The problem is that video game companies do not cater to what people want. For example, the outcry for AAA turn based JRPGs is ignored (I did say WRPGs too, not just JRPGs and Final Fantasy, believe it or not is not the only JRPG series). The reason why people do not buy quality turn based JRPGs is because video game devs refuse to make them.

And think of this, aside from Free Realms (ignoring the actual quality of the game), is the only RPG made by a Sony studio.

How is Starhawk a "generic shooter", especially since neither you nor I have played it yet? That is what's called an unqualified comment. And how is there "no shift in consumer tastes"? Because YOU say there isn't? MAG does something unique, and that's place up to 256 players on the battlefield simultaneously. SOCOM is a ten year old series. So you've given me one game that hasn't been released, and two games in a ten year old series, and a game that really started as a version of said ten year old game. Not exactly a compelling or well thought out argument, which amounts to essentially "it just is". 

The reason why people don't buy turn based games anymore is because they consist of mostly standing around waiting for things to happen. When you play a game you want to be an active participant, and not a spectator.

There HAS been a shift in consumer tastes, and saying "no there hasn't" does not change that. The top selling games are shooters, and they aren't made by Sony. Don't believe me? Look at the sales figures. So "C'mon Sony!!" is not going to help here.

Message 5 of 15 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Apr 27, 2012

How are people supposed to buy turn based JRPGs when there are not any games available? We have no choice to buy turn based games since there are none to buy.

And Socom, there's a bajillion TPSs, so yes, it is generic. Plus I know that old Socom fans don't like the two new ones, since they haven't stayed true to the series.

Message 6 of 15 (57 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7400 posts

Apr 27, 2012

neuropunk wrote:

How are people supposed to buy turn based JRPGs when there are not any games available? We have no choice to buy turn based games since there are none to buy.

Having more choices wouldn't create more sales for the individual games; it would dilute sales of each game.  Even if there were only one RPG out, it could still be the top selling game.  However, shooters are the best selling genre and have the best selling individual games, so that is what companies like to make.  I hope fans of FPSs will get tired of how saturated with shooters the market is, but that hasn't happened yet.

Message 7 of 15 (57 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Apr 27, 2012

I agree that Sony themselves are resistant to making RPGs. They were really opposed to it during the PSone era, until FF7 changed their minds. I don't see Sony themselves making any RPG anytime soon, but that doesn't prevent anyone else from doing it. But at this point I believe RPG is largely a niche market, capitalized by companies like Atlus. First person shooters is where the market is largely at.

Even Nintendo USA is hesistant on RPGs when they refused to bring Xenoblade to the country, until they inked an exclusive deal with GameStop...

Message 8 of 15 (57 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Apr 27, 2012

In Japan, they are going through this whole mobile/portable movement and many of the developers are changing their focus to mobile games. If you don't believe me, just check yourself what was really shown at last year's TGS. It's really not a problem for most gamers, just fans of JRPG games, which actually is quite few nowadays compared to the olden days. But hey, you'll find a few here and there, and can always re-play the classics.

Also, Shooters are the most prevelant brand right now, with action/adventure following in pack. People like being crazy and stuff blowing up everywhere. It's just how it is, that's why Call of Duty, Battlefield and other shooter games lead the pack in sales.

Also Sony has a well-rounded focus:

In the past year or so and the next 6-12 months up coming you've seen (will see)

Infamous 2

Motorostorm Apocalypse/ RC

Resistance 3

Uncharted 3

God of War 3

Twisted Metal

Journey

and LittleBigPlanet Karting, Starhawk, Sly Cooper Thieves in Time, The Last Guardiant, Last of Us, along with Playstation AllStars Battle Royale will be releasing. Their focus isn't targeted for any one audience or any one direction.

You need to just get them when you can, you can't really complain when you, as an individual don't get the one type of genre you want. It's just how it works and I'm sure if you branch outside of your favorite genre, like a true gamer, you'll find other games you like.

Message 9 of 15 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Apr 27, 2012

neuropunk wrote:

RPG's contributed to the Playstation brand. They weren't the sole reason for the Playstation success. Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Gran Turismo, Tomb Raider and many others contributed to the success of the brand as well.

Message 10 of 15 (57 Views)
0 Likes