PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Why does Sony focus more on shooters than RPGs?

Apr 28, 2012

IMO, I think "sandbox" type games like GTA, LA-Noire, and Assasin's Creed have surplanted the market for the typical RPG style game...

Message 11 of 15 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Apr 28, 2012

neuropunk wrote:

Sony must have a bad memory, since it was RPGs that put the Playstation brand on the map in the first place. RPGs were the system sellers for the PS1 and PS2, not to mention the variety of games was broader in previous gens.

There are a few RPG gems on PS3, but this generation overall has been majorly disappointing. I am wondering why Sony focuses on generic shooters rather than first and second party studios to make both JRPGs and WRPGs, but instead, Sony seems to treat the RPG genre like trash.

I would seriously love to see some Sony made RPGs. No more shootie exclusives please! Just because a game is a shooter does not mean it will sell well, FYI.

The truth is, it's a complicated matter, as we all know, the PS3 and it's predecessors are a Japanese product. (i.e. Playstation's soul, so to speak is in Japan) Therefore it's greatest power lies where it's soul is, which is Japan. (this gaming gen anyway) It is true what you've stated, that JRPG's (not WRPG's) helped make the PS and PS2 what they were, especially in regard to the PS2, (in which JRPG's made it King from midpoint to the end of the sixth generation of consoles) However, it's true as someone pointed out above, that it wasn't only JRPG's that made the PS brand what it was. (although it was at the forefront) There were fighters, racing games, puzzle games, party games, etc... It is as you pointed out, there were a variety of games, as opposed to now, where such a thing is limited.

In regards to the number of JRPG's on the PS3 (in the West) I'd say there virtually non-existent, to me a handful is less than a few. A few to me, would be at least 40.

Japan has become an Isolated gaming territory: (i.e. games are becoming restricted to Japan)

Tales Of Vesperia (never localized)

Back to your question though, you have to understand that SCEA/SCEU and SCEJ operate in two completely different ways. There are no FPS in Japan (they actually despise the genre) their game model is almost the same as it's always been (with some exceptions which I'll get to in a minute). Here in the West, SCEA focus on FPS because it's lucrative and it is the most dominant genre here in the West. (which is anything West of Japan) There is a divide between the two, so it's a West vs Japan thing, and Japan is shut out here in the West. Thus, in return Japan does the same thing to the West, it's like the old saying goes, "do unto others, as you would have them do unto you".

Japan's gaming model this gen (heres where it gets crazy) is a focus on handhelds (i.e. mobile devices, as someone above pointed out) for a number of reasons. The first is that for developers and publishers (who don't want to risk losing a large sum of money going against FPS) it's cheaper to make/publish games for handhelds. (i.e. PSP) Thus, that is where all the JRPG's are this gen, as opposed to consoles. (which is where they where last gen) The second reason, (maybe as equally detrimental to this gen as developers moving to handhelds) is that Japanese adults (those who played PS/PS2) are looked down upon for gaming. Thus, they use handhelds to game, but don't acknowledge that they game.

The problem is that, essentially Japanese developers left/abandoned the PS3, (there was/still is a claim that many Japanese developers didn't understand the PS3's hardware components) basically stating they didn't know how to develop games for the console. The result is what you now are witnessing, a lack of variety in games, and a sole focus by big name publishers to focus on developing FPS.

*I believe that Japan thinks that FPS are what everyone here in the West plays, as it receives the most recognition (i.e. awards, highest game reviews, largest revenue stream, etc...) but don't take into account that there is a minority that exist within that majority (who in most cases only play that specific FPS, and are what we call a casual gamer) who long for the former gaming gen.

I hope this gives you some perspective on why, JRPG's are not on the PS3 here in the West.

I stand in the moonlit dawn,

Free from clouds of attachment.

-Uesugi Kenshin
Message 12 of 15 (51 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Apr 28, 2012

Yokokoroma wrote:

There are a few RPG gems on PS3, but this generation overall has been majorly disappointing. I am wondering why Sony focuses on generic shooters rather than first and second party studios to make both JRPGs and WRPGs, but instead, Sony seems to treat the RPG genre like trash.

I would seriously love to see some Sony made RPGs. No more shootie exclusives please! Just because a game is a shooter does not mean it will sell well, FYI.

The truth is, it's a complicated matter, as we all know, the PS3 and it's predecessors are a Japanese product. (i.e. Playstation's soul, so to speak is in Japan) Therefore it's greatest power lies where it's soul is, which is Japan. (this gaming gen anyway) It is true what you've stated, that JRPG's (not WRPG's) helped make the PS and PS2 what they were, especially in regard to the PS2, (in which JRPG's made it King from midpoint to the end of the sixth generation of consoles) However, it's true as someone pointed out above, that it wasn't only JRPG's that made the PS brand what it was. (although it was at the forefront) There were fighters, racing games, puzzle games, party games, etc... It is as you pointed out, there were a variety of games, as opposed to now, where such a thing is limited.

In regards to the number of JRPG's on the PS3 (in the West) I'd say there virtually non-existent, to me a handful is less than a few. A few to me, would be at least 40.

Japan has become an Isolated gaming territory: (i.e. games are becoming restricted to Japan)

Back to your question though, you have to understand that SCEA/SCEU and SCEJ operate in two completely different ways. There are no FPS in Japan (they actually despise the genre) their game model is almost the same as it's always been (with some exceptions which I'll get to in a minute). Here in the West, SCEA focus on FPS because it's lucrative and it is the most dominant genre here in the West. (which is anything West of Japan) There is a divide between the two, so it's a West vs Japan thing, and Japan is shut out here in the West. Thus, in return Japan does the same thing to the West, it's like the old saying goes, "do unto others, as you would have them do unto you".

Japan's gaming model this gen (heres where it gets crazy) is a focus on handhelds (i.e. mobile devices, as someone above pointed out) for a number of reasons. The first is that for developers and publishers (who don't want to risk losing a large sum of money going against FPS) it's cheaper to make/publish games for handhelds. (i.e. PSP) Thus, that is where all the JRPG's are this gen, as opposed to consoles. (which is where they where last gen) The second reason, (maybe as equally detrimental to this gen as developers moving to handhelds) is that Japanese adults (those who played PS/PS2) are looked down upon for gaming. Thus, they use handhelds to game, but don't acknowledge that they game.

The problem is that, essentially Japanese developers left/abandoned the PS3, (there was/still is a claim that many Japanese developers didn't understand the PS3's hardware components) basically stating they didn't know how to develop games for the console. The result is what you now are witnessing, a lack of variety in games, and a sole focus by big name publishers to focus on developing FPS.

*I believe that Japan thinks that FPS are what everyone here in the West plays, as it receives the most recognition (i.e. awards, highest game reviews, largest revenue stream, etc...) but don't take into account that there is a minority that exist within that majority (who in most cases only play that specific FPS, and are what we call a casual gamer) who long for the former gaming gen.

I hope this gives you some perspective on why, JRPG's are not on the PS3 here in the West.

I stand in the moonlit dawn, Free from clouds of attachment. -Uesugi Kenshin

I agree with you on your points made, and would also like to add that in Japan, lifestyles contribute to a more portable-focused gaming experience. When many people in Japan commute by train, walking or bike, they are much more likely to play gaming on the go, and not necessarily stay inside for hours per day like I'm sure many Americans have the opportunity to do specifically. It's just a different way of life and so different cultures = different tastes and preferences in regards to gaming.

At the end of the day, do I truly wish that more Japanese developers would take some risks and start making new IPs in JRPGs for consoles again? Certainly. Does it mean it's going to come true? Really, it comes down to us: we have to nag and pressure companies to make the kind of games we want to buy; and when those few gems do come around stateside (I'll bring up the recent Tales of Graces F, for example), we have to vote with our hard-earned dollars to prove we can put our money where our mouths are.

Message 13 of 15 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2887 posts

Apr 28, 2012

Because kids these days prefer shooters over anything which means more sales from shooters. Also the fact that they're porbably easier and faster to make compared to JRPGs/RPGs.

Message 14 of 15 (51 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
26184 posts

Apr 28, 2012

Yokokoroma wrote:

neuropunk wrote:

Sony must have a bad memory, since it was RPGs that put the Playstation brand on the map in the first place. RPGs were the system sellers for the PS1 and PS2, not to mention the variety of games was broader in previous gens.

I stand in the moonlit dawn, Free from clouds of attachment. -Uesugi Kenshin

It's a bit more than that. The Japanese in many cases simply "don't get" Western games. The West and Japan are at the opposite ends of a great chasm when it comes to gaming preferences. Games like Call of Duty simply don't sell in Japan. And forget about open world games like Grand Theft Auto. The Japanese like highly structured types of games. Open world and shooters don't have the same appeal to them.

Even the types of games are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. I guy I knew went to Japan a few years back and he told me that the biggest game at the time was Tokyo Bus Driver. What does that entail? Discipline, hard work, attention to detail, being courteous to customers, etc. What was the biggest game at the same time in the US? Grand Theft Auto.

Wired.com had a good piece written a while back about it. Check it out here.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/09/western-games-japan/

Message 15 of 15 (51 Views)
0 Likes