Feb 08 2012
By: eaglefan129 Treasure Hunter 8821 posts

Why do you want to go back? (old umd's)

8 replies 12 views Edited Feb 8, 2012

Right know the only the psp is good for me is a mp3 player. I don't understand why people wanna play psp games on the vita. It's not like once you get the Vita you can't play anything else. Just don't sell the psp or trade in and you'd be fine. I doubt psp games would be any different then playing that same game on the psp. For me the last time I touched my umd collection has been a while. I doubt the game will be improved a lot other then you can map the right analog stick for movement. Still I don't get maybe it's the nostalgia of playing psp games but I ain't going back.

Message 1 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3904 posts

Re: Why do you want to go back? (old umd's)

Feb 8, 2012

I mainly want to try Star Wars Battlefront Renegade/Elite Sqaudron with the dual sticks, and both games I can buy off PSN. I don't really care about the no UMD thing. My PSP is still in great shape.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4072 posts

Feb 8, 2012

Some games do have replay value, are liked by some for replay even if it is "old skool" stuff.

Also, some people may wish to play the PSP game on the Vita, having not finished the game fully on the PSP, or much at all (as is the case for me in several games) but I'll just end up playing them here and there on the PSP for the duration, until something happens to change something or something else.

Message 3 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
410 posts

Feb 8, 2012

On the contrary my friend there is footage of someone demenstrate backwards compatability with metal gear solid and he showed how in the options you can choose what the other analog stick can be used for etc.I have one of the ps3's that are not backwards compatable and I cant tell you how pissed i was when I than realized I couldnt play kingdom hearts or resident evil 4 with my wireless controller and in hd.Now I have to plug in my ps2 or wait for hd re-releases via ps3.Theres just something about giving people the ability to play previous games on newer consoles etc...

Message 4 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Feb 8, 2012

the thing is with the ps vita you can still play older games. they just have to be downloaded versions. (even with the UMD program it was only for games that had a downloaded version and only a select few.)

this is why I do not get the problem you would of have to pay anyway to get the version onto the ps vita. (so people would of got mad at sony anyway.) so basically now you still have to pay to get the downloaded version just not % off. (unless sony lowers more of the prices of the psp games off of sony entertainment network.)

I my self do not see a problem here at all.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 5 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13517 posts

Feb 8, 2012

The reason they want UMDs is because they still would like to have access to all of their PSP library, without having to carry around both a PSP AND a Vita (Neither of which, would fit well in pockets).

I don't mind carrying both, I carry around my PSP and 3DS everywhere, but some people are just picky and want everything on one system (like how PS3 has no PS2 compatibility, people should've just kept their PS2s)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

Feb 8, 2012

I never had UMDs for PSP, but I understand why people are angry about Vita not having compatibility. I have an all-digital library so I'll be fine, though Sony should have brought the UMD pass system to the US for people...

Message 7 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
758 posts

Feb 8, 2012

Exactly.  I think a lot of people think they'll be playing them but, they won't especially when big PSP games comeout out like Monster Hunter for the Vita. 

Message 8 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1124 posts

Feb 8, 2012

I think SCEA should at least cut the prices for many of the PSP titles on the PSN, I mean some are still running at $40 when their UMD counterparts are selling for $20 or less. By making the digital PSP titles more affordable SCEA could potentially bring more interest to the Vita especally from those who find the launch lineup to be lacking.

Message 9 of 9 (12 Views)
0 Likes