Feb 16 2014
By: SweetPoison13 MVP Support 12481 posts

Why do we need trophies and achievements?

[ Edited ]
22 replies 364 views Edited Feb 16, 2014

I used to play video games several years ago without digital rewards so this idea of being rewarded for being entertained is an interesting concept to me. I have always felt that the true reward with entertainment is the experience whether that means reading a thought-provoking book, listening to a delightful piece of music, watching a memorable film, or playing through an exciting video game. I don’t personally need some sort of pat on the back for any of this. Shouldn’t we seek out video games for their own merits such as their intriguing storylines and their enjoyable experiences?

Right now we have people seeking out video games for their trophies and pushing them to the side once they have achieved 100% trophy completion in them. Trophies and achievements cannot be all these video games have to offer us. What replay value do you think a video game has if 100% of its trophies or all of its achievements have been collected? These digital rewards have forever changed how some people experience video games. It looks like they are here to stay but how do you feel about them? What do they do for you? Do you need them? Do you "work" for them? How do they enhance your experiences with video games? Could you return to a time when trophies and achievements didn’t exist? Why or why not?

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 1 of 23 (364 Views)
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Re: Why do we need trophies and achievements?

Feb 16, 2014

While for yourself the trophies and acheivements aren't the reasons why you purchase a game (and I'm in the same boat), isn't the point of a game to entertain you?  For the "trophy hounds" out there, the gaining of the achievements/trophies may in fact be how they get entertainment out of the game.  The story/experience/gameplay may be a secondary thing to them, just like the achievements/trophies are secondary to us.

I myself really don't have the trophies/achievements as a priority.  For me, it's how much fun am I going to have playing the game, and will I still be able to enjoy the game after I've beaten it?  Trophies are a secondary thing for me, but after beating a game once I do find that I'll continue to play it again to pick up some trophies if I didn't get them the first time.  In a way, it gives me a little bit of replay value that perhaps I may not have had without them.  I only have one platinum trophy, and that's for the game Dante's Inferno.  I bought the game because it was on-sale, and because so many people out there were crying about how it was just a God of War rip-off.  I LOVE the God of War series and have read through The Divine Comedy dozens of times in my life.  So I figured the game would appeal to me.  Good lord it did.  I love that game.  The fact that I was able to gain the platinum trophy there was a nice side-effect, but was definitely not the reason for me purchasing the game.

If a game I really like doesn't have any trophies in there, I wouldn't care.  I'm fine with them, and I'm fine without them.  In some cases, like the God of War games, to get a platinum you need to play on a harder difficulty level.  I'm nowhere near as quick with my hands as I was when I was a kid, so beating the game on hard is indeed hard.  Still, the presence of the trophies kind of gives me something to work towards when I have free time and want something to do.

Where I have some issues with trophies/achievements is when a game developer designs the game around the trophies/achievements instead of creating the game, then putting the trophies/achievements in there afterwards.  This seems to be detrimental to the creation of a good product.  It would be like designing a dinner around the table setting instead of creating a dinner and then choosing the table settings based on what was cooked.

Message 2 of 23 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4066 posts

Feb 16, 2014
Love 'em.
Never would have bothered pushing myself to do some of the harder things I've been able to get done if there wasn't a platinum to get out of it. Playing a game only for the trophies is ridiculous but they've added a lot to games I was already enjoying.
Servo Antidae Fossor
Message 3 of 23 (344 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4550 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Doesn't getting trophies offer some sort of contest rewards or something? Either we do it for that or to show off. We also do it to have a challenge. 

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 4 of 23 (337 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2014

SweetPoison13 wrote:

It looks like they are here to stay but how do you feel about them? What do they do for you? Do you need them? Do you "work" for them? How do they enhance your experiences with video games? Could you return to a time when trophies and achievements didn’t exist? Why or why not?

I do not try to work too hard for trophies. I'm definitely not a "hunter." I let them come naturally when I play, and  sometimes, if I love the game enough, I will actually take the time to try and get the Platinum trophy.

I think trophies are both good and bad. Good, because it helps sell certain titles that most gamers would never try, but trophy hunters absolutely will jump on -- just for easy trophies. Bad, because some people may not try certain games just because they do not have trophies (or a platinum trophy) -- And that saddens me. There are so many great games that do not have trophies and never will. But, the "hunter" generation wouldn't waste their time on them, because it's time wasted not earning trophies.

I'm the type of gamer that will play a game to 100% completion if I enjoy it enough, just so I feel I got every cent out of it. I've been this way ever since the games I played even started having a percentage of completion. Heck, a lot of games today don't even require you to get 100% completion for the Platinum. I could easily return to that time, before I earned Trophies/Achievements. It was an accomplishment just having that "perfect" save, alone.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 5 of 23 (325 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3822 posts

Feb 16, 2014

I more or less think of them as a photo album of my time playing games. They can bring back memories you may forget in years to come. I enjoy them very much. A lot of games have offered rewards in the past but the trophies system now is a one stop shop for them across all games. They also add a little end game play if you want them. I have to really like a game to do that. 90% of them I don't.

I can also remember taking a screen shot with my film camera of high score. The Atari 2600 offered real patches you iron on if you could hit a set score in some games. Like Pitfall, River Raid. Ka-boom and many more. It's not really new it's just digital now.

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 6 of 23 (316 Views)
Lombax Warrior
96 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2014

SweetPoison13 wrote:

I used to play video games several years ago without digital rewards so this idea of being rewarded for being entertained is an interesting concept to me. I have always felt that the true reward with entertainment is the experience whether that means reading a thought-provoking book, listening to a delightful piece of music, watching a memorable film, or playing through an exciting video game. (1) I don’t personally need some sort of pat on the back for any of this. Shouldn't’t we seek out video games for their own merits such as their intriguing storylines and their enjoyable experiences?

(2) Right now we have people seeking out video games for their trophies and pushing them to the side once they have achieved 100% trophy completion in them. Trophies and achievements cannot be all these video games have to offer us. What replay value do you think a video game has if 100% of its trophies or all of its achievements have been collected? These digital rewards have forever changed how some people experience video games. It looks like they are here to stay but how do you feel about them? What do they do for you? Do you need them? Do you "work" for them? How do they enhance your experiences with video games? Could you return to a time when trophies and achievements didn’t exist? Why or why not?

I just want to preface this by saying that I think it's dumb that some people won't play a game they otherwise would based on the trophies alone. Personally, I have passed up on games because of a terrible looking trophy list, but none of them were truly games I was dying to play. And really it's only because I have such a huge backlog of games to finish that I strictly play games would basically categorize as a must play.

(1) You are making the assumption that trophies are supposed to be a 'pat on the back' but that is not how I view them. In my opinion, the purpose of trophies (implemented the correct way) is to encourage the player to try new things or things the average gamer otherwise would not. They can also offer a variety of new challenges, and a sort of 'meta game' to the already existing media. I think you are being a little close minded when you say "shouldn't we seek out..." because for a lot of people, myself included, trophy hunting is a big part of the enjoyable experience we have with a game. 

(2) Lets be honest. The whole replay-a-game-for-nostalgic-value idea has more or less been completely lost with the last generation, and games these days, multiplayer focused titles aside, have very little 'meat' to them. The sad reality is there are games where the trophy list is it's only saving grace as far as replayability goes. There are a ton of games out there that can be completed within 6-8 hours and there is not much else to do afterwards. In a time where I pay $70 for a game after taxes, a 6 hour campaign is a slap in the face. It always depends on the quality of the game and who is making it of course, but it's nice to have an added element of replayability regardless.

As far as what trophies are to me, if I hunt for them and whether I need them? They are, added replayability, an added challenge and I do actively seek that. I don't think I necessarily need them and I like to think that I could go back to how it used to be. But as I stated, when companies put out 6 hour campaigns or games which are completely fabricated from old DLC, I think they are most definitely a welcomed addition. The best way I could sum it up is that I feel I am squeezing 100% value out of my purchase when I platinum a game.

P.S.  I just want to add that I also really like how JohnKarnes above me put it. The trophies I have earned, the platinums, while not all incredibly memorable, it's nice to scroll through that list and reminisce. 

Message 7 of 23 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
646 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2014

Overall trophy count is pointless.  It isn't even valid for epeen purposes, as the majority of trophies obtained are something along the lines of:

"Obtain the first pickup"

"Complete the tutorial"

"Participate in a multiplayer game"

"Complete the first race/chapter/level/etc."

"Kill 10 enemies"

"Monotonously grind the same thing, repeatedly, until you obtain this trophy"

Etc.

I agree, it seems silly when people throw cash down on a game solely because it has an easy platinum, while refusing to play a game lacking trophies.

Trophies could have their place if properly implemented.  Unfortunately, they are catered towards casual gamers.  --Don't read "casual gamers" as a derogatory term; it isn't--  A recent example is Resogun, which rewards a bronze trophy for completing Rookie Difficulty, a silver trophy for completing Experienced Difficulty, and a gold trophy for completing Veteran Difficulty.  This sounds good, and all, until you realize there's a Master Difficulty.  What trophy do you get for completing Master Difficulty?  You don't.  They intentionally do not reward a trophy for completing Master Difficulty because they think it is too difficult for the average gamer; therefore, if the average casual gamer cannot earn the trophy, why offer it?  Sure, you get a trophy for completing a *single* level on Master Difficulty, but do you really feel accomplished completing a single level, as opposed to the entire game, on the highest difficulty?  I don't need participation trophies.  Don't hand me a platinum trophy until I've mastered the game.

The great majority of trophies are merely false senses of accomplishment, resulting in meaningless trophy counts.  There are several individual trophies, which when obtained legitimately, are certainly brag-worthy, but these trophies are a minor fraction of the total number of trophies, and certainly do not represent the current trophy system.

I suppose, in the grand scale, there are trophies to meet everyone's desires.

Message 8 of 23 (283 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1004 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Trophies actually give me a reason to play the game a bit longer than just beating the game. My first priority of course is the enjoyment of playing the game. If I love it enough, I'll go out of my way to platinum the game. For example, I beat NieR (love this game) within 30 hours, but to platinum it, it took me a total of 70 hours. I'm 70+ hours in Star Ocean and nowhere near platinuming that game.

Message 9 of 23 (277 Views)
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

Feb 16, 2014
Speaking for myself, I am an aging gamer. I've been gaming since the days of Atari, NES ect. Like yourself (OP), I've never felt the need to receive digital rewards for tasks in a game, but since the trophies/achievements have come along, I realized something.

Prior to these digital rewards, I would play a game until I finished the final boss and saw the credits roll up my screen. After, I would shelf it and allow it to collect dust. With the advent of the achievements/trophies; however, once I complete a game I generally take a look at which trophies are left and go through the game again to nab them.

In short, in my case they actually extend the life of a game, sometimes giving me the drive to run through the game multiple times. I get more out of a game now than I ever really have.
Message 10 of 23 (273 Views)