Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 01 2013
By: letrinox42 First Son 26 posts
Accepted Solution

Why did Sony reveal their next console before Microsoft?

20 replies 233 views Edited Mar 1, 2013

This seems more like a disadvantage to me. Now Microsoft already knows about Sony's big push for social connection.  They might make changes so that when they reveal the nextbox, people will see it can do the same things the ps4 can. Same applies to other features, but my point is, hasn't Sony screwed itself cuz now Microsoft can meet and even exceed expectations?

Message 1 of 21 (233 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Re: Why did Sony reveal their next console before Microsoft?

Mar 1, 2013
Did Microsoft get a heads up? A little bit but its so ate in the game unless Microsoft was already doing something similar or will wait till ate 2014 to launch theres nothing they can rally take advantage of here. Pricing on the other hand they were smart about i think they will let Microsoft lead on that one. The only changes that can e made now are upgrades to existing types f hardware in the systems and id go with pricing. They wont be able to change their launch plans for the services they'll offer. They wont be able to change the majority of the system architecture as it would throw off the coding already one for launch titles. They can make the hard drive bigger, add more of the same type of memory ... Not too much else. What sony did was, i believe, push up Microsofts time table i think Microsoft as planning on squeezing just e more year because it doesn't seem like they were ready.
Orwell's here now man and he's living LARGE!
Message 2 of 21 (226 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8767 posts

Mar 1, 2013
I read an article that basically stated the nextbox is based around very similar architecture (x86-64) to the PS4, except that it uses GDDR3 RAM (the PS4 uses GDDR5, which is up to 10 times faster). It would set the nextbox back by a year to 18 months to make hardware changes at this point.

The nextbox going from an IBM PPC-based chip to x86-64 means that the nextbox, like the PS4, will not be backward compatible for the very same reasons. Sony has Gaikai, though.

Anyway you slice it... advantage Sony.
Message 3 of 21 (223 Views)
MVP Support
8767 posts

Mar 1, 2013
To put it another way, Sony slapped M$ upside the head with the gauntlet while they threw it down.
Message 4 of 21 (220 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Mar 1, 2013
Sony got the lead in the next gen consoles. Nintendo… who cares? At this point all Microsoft is able to do is try to catch up. The next Xbox is going to have a hard time taking the steam away from playstation this time around. They're behind instead of ahead, and playstation took the spotlight.
My PSN
Message 5 of 21 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2818 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 1, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:
I read an article that basically stated the nextbox is based around very similar architecture (x86-64) to the PS4, except that it uses GDDR3 RAM (the PS4 uses GDDR5, which is up to 10 times faster). It would set the nextbox back by a year to 18 months to make hardware changes at this point.

The nextbox going from an IBM PPC-based chip to x86-64 means that the nextbox, like the PS4, will not be backward compatible for the very same reasons. Sony has Gaikai, though.

Anyway you slice it... advantage Sony.

Well I think that as soon as Sony dropped that GDDR5 bomb some Microsoft executive picked up the phone and made some calls to change the RAM on the next Xbox. With all the positive responses from all over the internet on how awesome the power of the PS4 is, Microsoft is definitely going to try to change their game to try and match or exceed what they have already (assuming the rumors are true about it being 40% less powerful than the PS4).

Sony announcing first was a good move because now people can't say that they're copying anybody (a big problem they had with the PS3). Anything that Microsoft accounces that resembles the PS4 most people are going to think, "Yeah, okay. But the PS4 does that already. Give me something new." And when they don't have anything new, it makes them look like all they can do is copy the competition.

Message 6 of 21 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6476 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 1, 2013

letrinox42 wrote:

This seems more like a disadvantage to me. Now Microsoft already knows about Sony's big push for social connection.  They might make changes so that when they reveal the nextbox, people will see it can do the same things the ps4 can. Same applies to other features, but my point is, hasn't Sony screwed itself cuz now Microsoft can meet and even exceed expectations?

kaz is the boss is the now. he siad they will open up on details on  the next console before ms did,  he never we are  going show it off before they do. The kicker.!!!

I think  the ps4 has more things than what they showed and told,  ms is going to have to dig  verry deep to top anything sony has to offer. I think  sony  just told small things nothing major. Meaning everything you could find on record or leaked or was leaking..

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 7 of 21 (199 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8767 posts

Mar 1, 2013

NinjaZeroEight wrote:

Well I think that as soon as Sony dropped that GDDR5 bomb some Microsoft executive picked up the phone and made some calls to change the RAM on the next Xbox. 

That is exactly what I am talking about setting the release of the nextbox back.

GDDR3 is basically standard memory that can be used in modules of up to 2GB per chip (meaning it only takes four chips for 8GB).

GDDR5, on the other hand, is typically only found on GPUs, and comes in modules of up to 512MB (meaning it takes 16 chips for 8GB).  The small amount of memory per chip is the reason GPUs are hard pressed to fit more than 1 to 2 GB on a card (and the way around this limitation in a PC is to run multiplie GPUs in parallel (nVidia calls it SLI; ATI/AMD calls it CrossFire).

For M$ to switch from 8GB of GDDR3 to 8GB of GDDR5 would take a complete redesign of the system board, which would take months, and at this point (Post Sony PS4 announcement / Post WiiU release) would be console suicide.  The NextBox would never recover, particularly if it doesn't have a Blu-ray player (which rumors state it does).

Message 8 of 21 (191 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15762 posts

Mar 1, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

NinjaZeroEight wrote:

Well I think that as soon as Sony dropped that GDDR5 bomb some Microsoft executive picked up the phone and made some calls to change the RAM on the next Xbox. 

That is exactly what I am talking about setting the release of the nextbox back.

GDDR3 is basically standard memory that can be used in modules of up to 2GB per chip (meaning it only takes four chips for 8GB).

GDDR5, on the other hand, is typically only found on GPUs, and comes in modules of up to 512MB (meaning it takes 16 chips for 8GB).  The small amount of memory per chip is the reason GPUs are hard pressed to fit more than 1 to 2 GB on a card (and the way around this limitation in a PC is to run multiplie GPUs in parallel (nVidia calls it SLI; ATI/AMD calls it CrossFire).

For M$ to switch from 8GB of GDDR3 to 8GB of GDDR5 would take a complete redesign of the system board, which would take months, and at this point (Post Sony PS4 announcement / Post WiiU release) would be console suicide.  The NextBox would never recover, particularly if it doesn't have a Blu-ray player (which rumors state it does).

Except NVIDIA just released the Titan GPU.... a single GPU processor with 6GB 

Furiously Chaosing

"I get you so horked up"

Message 9 of 21 (188 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15762 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 1, 2013

This is what Sony did to Microsoft...

For those who don't get it.... Sony is Robin Hood.

Furiously Chaosing

"I get you so horked up"

Message 10 of 21 (187 Views)
0 Likes