Oct 28 2008
By: Metroider17~ First Son 30 posts

Why can't there be a gameshark/cheat device for PS3 (OFFLINE ONLY specifically)

44 replies 18692 views Edited Oct 28, 2008

I don't want this thread to be about whether cheating is something that will ruin the game experience, but solely asking why there can't be an offline cheat option. 

I wish not to cheat in online games so that is not my intention in asking.

Like in PC games you can open a console and do just about anything with the game.  That to me adds a ton of more replay value to a game (like in Oblivion's console menu you can spawn anything via command)

I miss the days of gameshark for PS2, that made things so much more interesting for more games.  I'm not just talking about god mode and infinite ammo/all guns; I mean like debugging and doing things you normally couldn't do in the game.  Something like make all people in GTA4 strippers.  That does nothing to the game in easing difficulty.

I just wish especially with games like Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2, etc. that at least a console command menu can be pulled down in offline mode to put in commands like god mode or simply to change how the game looks or anything capable of a console command prompt.  

The reason I think though that there is no cheat device for PS3 is that people may find a way to cheat online which is what I fear to be true.  Again I emphasize I DO NOT WANT TO CHEAT ONLINE!  JUST BE CAPABLE OF DOING CHEATS OFFLINE!  Perhaps also then that would prevent you from getting trophies which would be fine for me.

And once again, I DO NOT WANT TO TALK HERE ABOUT THE ETHICS OF CHEATING AND IT RUINING GAMEPLAY.  I AM SIMPLY ASKING WHY NOT ENABLE THIS IN OFFLINE MODES.

Thank you for your time. 

So I ask you guys...what's the possibility of a gameshark or at least the ability to do console commands in offline modes only?  Why not?  What's the harm?  It'll add more hours of replay value. 

Message 1 of 45 (18,692 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5269 posts

Re

Oct 28, 2008

Metroider17 wrote:

I don't want this thread to be about whether cheating is something that will ruin the game experience, but solely asking why there can't be an offline cheat option. 

I wish not to cheat in online games so that is not my intention in asking.

Like in PC games you can open a console and do just about anything with the game.  That to me adds a ton of more replay value to a game (like in Oblivion's console menu you can spawn anything via command)

I miss the days of gameshark for PS2, that made things so much more interesting for more games.  I'm not just talking about god mode and infinite ammo/all guns; I mean like debugging and doing things you normally couldn't do in the game.  Something like make all people in GTA4 strippers.  That does nothing to the game in easing difficulty.

I just wish especially with games like Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2, etc. that at least a console command menu can be pulled down in offline mode to put in commands like god mode or simply to change how the game looks or anything capable of a console command prompt.  

The reason I think though that there is no cheat device for PS3 is that people may find a way to cheat online which is what I fear to be true.  Again I emphasize I DO NOT WANT TO CHEAT ONLINE!  JUST BE CAPABLE OF DOING CHEATS OFFLINE!  Perhaps also then that would prevent you from getting trophies which would be fine for me.

And once again, I DO NOT WANT TO TALK HERE ABOUT THE ETHICS OF CHEATING AND IT RUINING GAMEPLAY.  I AM SIMPLY ASKING WHY NOT ENABLE THIS IN OFFLINE MODES.

Thank you for your time. 

So I ask you guys...what's the possibility of a gameshark or at least the ability to do console commands in offline modes only?  Why not?  What's the harm?  It'll add more hours of replay value. 

Because cheat devices are a waste of money, plus you can't talk about cheat devices on the forums
Message 2 of 45 (18,692 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Why can't there be a gameshark/cheat device for PS3

Oct 28, 2008

Who's says you can't talk about cheat devices? Freedom of speech without tolerance or limitations. So we won't call it a cheat device will call it a temporary code editor. Besides if Metroider17 wants to spend the money on one then it's not a wast for them. I aggree some games are fun but too difficult for younger children or even adults. There should be a system in play that allows for a balance. Some people enjoy the challenges a game has to offer while others prefer to enjoy other aspects of the game without searching for health or ammo all the time.

Metroid I believe to answer you question for "code editors" to work there has to be no reset of the game itself. It has to load by the editor so it can change some of the codes. The new consoles all have a fresh boot when a disc is inserted. The only solution to this would to have an editor downloaded right onto the consol hard drive and run it from there. Since this would probably violate all warranties on the console it would appear that this plan is no feasible at this time. Hope that answered you question.

Message 3 of 45 (18,692 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5269 posts

Re: Why can't there be a gameshark/cheat device for PS3

Oct 28, 2008

Mantus wrote:

Who's says you can't talk about cheat devices? Freedom of speech without tolerance or limitations. So we won't call it a cheat device will call it a temporary code editor. Besides if Metroider17 wants to spend the money on one then it's not a wast for them. I aggree some games are fun but too difficult for younger children or even adults. There should be a system in play that allows for a balance. Some people enjoy the challenges a game has to offer while others prefer to enjoy other aspects of the game without searching for health or ammo all the time.

Metroid I believe to answer you question for "code editors" to work there has to be no reset of the game itself. It has to load by the editor so it can change some of the codes. The new consoles all have a fresh boot when a disc is inserted. The only solution to this would to have an editor downloaded right onto the consol hard drive and run it from there. Since this would probably violate all warranties on the console it would appear that this plan is no feasible at this time. Hope that answered you question.

Since your new to the forums you should read the forum rules.
Message 4 of 45 (18,692 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

So is there any possibility or thought?

Oct 28, 2008
So is there any possibility or thought?
Message 5 of 45 (18,692 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1490 posts

Re: So is there any possibility or thought?

Oct 28, 2008
..People still use cheat codes?
Message 6 of 45 (18,692 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5717 posts

Re: So is there any possibility or thought?

Oct 28, 2008
I don't see it ever working. Sony wants to keep it's system hack free, which protects our information along with Sony's. You could always hope the game dev's put stuff like that in a game.
Message 7 of 45 (18,692 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1211 posts

Re: Why can't there be a gameshark/cheat device for PS3 (OFFLINE ONLY

Oct 28, 2008
whats the fun in cheating? You get more reward by not cheating.
Message 8 of 45 (18,692 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1435 posts

Re: Why can't there be a gameshark/cheat device for PS3 (

Oct 28, 2008
People really need to realize that freedom of speech is only relevant in a public area. This is a privately owned forum and as such, the owners are free to impose what every rules and regulations they want, which includes limits to what you can say. If you don't like that, you don't have to use the forums. And that's the clause they'd use in court if someone were to bring up that the forums are impeding on their first amendment rights. You don't have freedom of speech in a privately owned sector, and the Playstation forums are privately owned by Sony.
Message 9 of 45 (18,692 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1319 posts

Re: Why can't there be a gameshark/cheat device for PS3

Oct 28, 2008
yeah that would be pretty neat, but i think it would just be a gateway for ppl to cheat it in online gameplay
Message 10 of 45 (18,692 Views)
0 Likes