Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 12 2013
By: heGOTmeAGAIN I Only Post Everything 1050 posts

Why are consoles so large?

11 replies 216 views Edited Jul 12, 2013

Judging by the photos released the XB1 is alot bigger than the PS4.

Yet the PS4 supposedly has more power out of the gate.

I understand they require fans for cooling purposes but

I have a laptop that plays games without a hiccup and it couldn't be any thinner.

Was just wondering.

PSN.png

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (216 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7174 posts

Re: Why are consoles so large?

Jul 12, 2013

heGOTmeAGAIN wrote:

I have a laptop that plays games without a hiccup and it couldn't be any thinner.

Was just wondering.

PSN.png

Because of all the hardware in them + the designers like them that way.

HEARTFIVEFOURTEEN.png

_____________________ - = Share the Greatness with PlayStation= - ______________________

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (212 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2599 posts

Jul 12, 2013

Better airflow. 

But luckily, the PS4 is almost smaller than the PS3 Slim. So that pretty much means the inevitable PS4 Slim that will come out a few years later, will be the size (or smaller!) than the PS3 Super Slim.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10021 posts

Jul 12, 2013

compared to a lap top? really?...your laptop is meant to be portable thats why its in a smaller form factor

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8252 posts

Jul 12, 2013

i would like to see a side by side comparision of the their sizes and weights.

I think your laptop would def be thinner, but also wider and at least as deep.

i would also like to see the specs of these two machines, and perhaps a benchmark with them both playing the same game.

How many players does your laptop support for AAA games?  i dont know if split screen makes much of a hardware difference, but lets compare apples to apples here.

Even diablo 3 on your laptop vs Diablo 3 on PS3 would be a good comparision, if your laptop supports 4 players locally.  if not how many laptops would it take?  with all 4 are they still smaller then the ps3?

Something to think about at least.

I know my laptop playing mercenaries 2 crashes constantly, and it cost about $450!  where as my $300 ps3 plays it flawlessly.

Both are similar in size, and weight.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (186 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5739 posts

Jul 12, 2013

Um, they were designed by men?

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
 photo Signature2.png

MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (162 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1573 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 12, 2013

heGOTmeAGAIN wrote:

Was just wondering.

PSN.png

You have to look at this way bottomline it's engineering..  

Take the Original PS3 for Example about the same size of the Xbox 360.. But it had an extra processor on the logicboard to play PS2 games.. while the Xbox 360 was not backwards compatible.. 

Furthermore Sony is known for their product design, engineering and reliability of their products.. I remember my parents having a Sony VCR back in 1994.. Microsoft has never really designed any hardware product that is known to be reliable at all.. Not bashing them it's just a fact.. 

So that's why consoles are big.. it all comes down to design and engineering behind the product.... 

The Xbox 360 RROD's was caused by bad product design.. The GPU and the CPU were in close proximity of each other and the materials that Microsoft's product design team used for cooling failed..  quickly.. but anyway all the above is just my opinion on why consoles are so large.. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8252 posts

Jul 12, 2013

also the Xbone 180 is huge most likely because microsoft didnt want another run at the RROD, last time cost them well over a billion dollars for that mistake.

The 360 RROD was caused because MS decided on a form factor before finalizing system specs.  they figured 'oh that'll do" then it turned out the heat dissapation required quite a large heat sink, for which there was absolutely no room.

for this reason they took a gamble on a heat sink about 1/2 the size of that required, this made every launch 360 loud as a jet engine and doomed to fail if used even sparsely for the AAA titles or other heavy tasks.

They knew they were doing the wrong thing, but they gambled the cost of damaged units would be less then the cost of a redesign at such a late date.

remember the 360 was pushed out before it was ready because MS was scared Sony would release the PS3 that year and they didnt want to be last to the show, instead they sabotaged themselves very badly.

this time they probably had some guy in the back saying 'Hey dont forget to give us some extra room this time **bleep**!!""

So again finalizing the design before the specs they errored on the side of caution and there we have the jumbo sized VCR looking Xbone 180.

Sony on the other hand played it smart, they didnt show the console until they were sure it was the design capable of containing their new machine.

The flip side is MS may finally have a console suited for locating in areas with people who do not have hearing protection, and Sony's next console may finally be louder then MS's, but i doubt it.

Sony makes hardware, and does it extremely well, MS does software very well, but lacks the experience to properly craft hardware effectively.

Look at a PC tower in the price range of a home console, make sure that tower can play multiplatform games at the same level as that console, which is bigger?

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (143 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13977 posts

Jul 12, 2013

heGOTmeAGAIN wrote:

Was just wondering.

PSN.png

I think that you just answered your own question. Launch consoles are generally larger in order to have proper cooling and prevent over heating. It's only later on in the console's lifecycle that the hardware can get a redesign and get smaller in size. 

Multisystem owner. PS Plus member:Legendary status.GAP member with a launch PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (135 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jul 12, 2013

As stated by others, the size of the console is a function of the engineering work required to ensure that the components inside the console do not overheat.  Processors produce heat when they are running.  If they do not get cooled off, the heat can cause physical damage to the processor itself, making it impossible to peform the calculations that are required.  With the size of the processor "traces', for lack of a better word, being on the nanometer scale, a small physical change caused by heat can completely destroy the processor.

To combat the heat, you need to have good airflow around the processor to remove the heat, and a good heatsink on top of the processor to provide a greater surface area for heat to dissipate from.  The printed circuitboards that all of the processors are attached to also need to be kept cool and have good airflow all around them.  This will prevent the heat from causing warping of the board which can potentially crack solder joints or break traces on the board itself. 

The engineers who designed the consoles did so with airflow in mind.  Just putting a bunch of vents into a console won't automatically create good airflow.  The processors on the PCBs need to be spaced far enough apart, and fans need to be placed in key areas to blow the hot air out of the console and draw cooler ambient air into it.  The smaller the actual console case is, the more efficient your design has to be in order to ensure proper airflow.

Laptops are thin and small because the components that are in them are designed in a manner to produce less heat.  This can be done by running processors at lower speeds, or throttling down the processors when their temperature begins to rise for too long of a time.  In addition, a laptop is generally not used at full processing power for the extended periods of time that a game console is.  Therefore, it doesn't absolutely need the amount of cooling present in a console.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (128 Views)
0 Likes