Hekseville Citizen
365 posts

Re: Why all the Concern over the OS RAM?

Jul 27, 2013

Its 3.5GB for the OS ( with 1GB of that being able to used for games at devs request)

so you will see early games capable of 4.5/5.5 GB GDDR5 RAM

Thats the official rumored story

thespiralmatrix's Gamercard
Message 41 of 74 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
569 posts

Jul 27, 2013

peckdogg68 wrote:

Why is it so hard to understand the point im making i dont care if you are worried about it or not this isnt rocket science, I am just saying they are using more space then necessary for the OS if the estimates are correct and more space for developers cant be a bad thing even if 95 percent of the developers dont use all the space. 

I may be mistaken but they were originally planning to let the developers work with around 3gigs of ddr3 ram from the outset, and the launch games working under these original specs(supposedly) look pretty detailed. I'm sure 5g of ddr5 will be sufficient to render blades of grass and crowds of people, and even if developers hit a wall, I'm sure they'll figure out ways to squeeze out extra detail. Barring new display technology 5 years down the road, I don't think there's much more you can cram into a 1080p screen that's immediately noticable to the naked eye than what developers are already envisioning.

I think the RAM issue is more of a 'let's see what we can do with all this extra memory' thing than anything else, which goes into the unexplored territories of dozens of NPCs going off-screen and doing something real time, games springing up within the game such as instant DLC areas, or games which can instantly pull in images or audio from your microphone. Not really major as games would just load a new screen for each thing as they've always done.

sig by Grindhead_Jim
Message 42 of 74 (183 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5309 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2013

peckdogg68 wrote:

da1writer wrote:

TheSpiralMatrix wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

lanie_faye wrote:
first there isnt a official word from sony if this is true. So far the reports have speculated that at minimum 2.5 be needed to be deadicated to the OS which is .5 less than xbox and 1gb will be flexible either way leaving 5.5gb. While i agree i dnt see why the didnt leave room for the OS by upping the 8gb to 10 and leaving 8 for games 2gb for OS.

The article i read says 4.5 gb dedicated to os, well that is 3.5 to os and another 1 gb free possibly to gaming possibly to os but it is speculation at this point.

Everything is "Speculation" until we have it in our hands.

Even then, ti's not going to affect the way we play games either...

Would you care to explain how it wont affect how we play games/ games created i am under the impression more gb's developers have to work with the more they can put into a game and graphics.  Instead of just saying it wont affect gameplay tell me why it wont affect gameplay or i will just think you are completely ignorant.

So you are telling me that I can't enjoy The Last of Us right now on the PS3's split 512mb of ram. That the game's 10 out of 10 scores and Multiple awards cannot be appreciated because it doesn't have 8gb of ram? So since The Last of Us, a game criticaly acclaimed that is on the table of possibly being a game of the year title, could not have excellent gameplay due to it not having 8gb of ram? Sir, I think you are too wrapped up over this and making it a bigger deal than it should be. If Naughtty Dog can create an excellent game by the likes of The Last Of Us on so little amount of ram, what makes you think the PS4 situation is different? 

I won't bother to argue with you any more over this.

BTW, thanks for calling me ignorant. I hope you have enjoyed the Main PS4 thread I created and you guys shaped...

Message 43 of 74 (171 Views)
Gaming Beast
2155 posts

Jul 27, 2013

da1writer wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

da1writer wrote:

TheSpiralMatrix wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

lanie_faye wrote:
first there isnt a official word from sony if this is true. So far the reports have speculated that at minimum 2.5 be needed to be deadicated to the OS which is .5 less than xbox and 1gb will be flexible either way leaving 5.5gb. While i agree i dnt see why the didnt leave room for the OS by upping the 8gb to 10 and leaving 8 for games 2gb for OS.

The article i read says 4.5 gb dedicated to os, well that is 3.5 to os and another 1 gb free possibly to gaming possibly to os but it is speculation at this point.

Would you care to explain how it wont affect how we play games/ games created i am under the impression more gb's developers have to work with the more they can put into a game and graphics.  Instead of just saying it wont affect gameplay tell me why it wont affect gameplay or i will just think you are completely ignorant.

So you are telling me that I can't enjoy The Last of Us right now on the PS3's split 512mb of ram. That the game's 10 out of 10 scores and Multiple awards cannot be appreciated because it doesn't have 8gb of ram? So since The Last of Us, a game criticaly acclaimed that is on the table of possibly being a game of the year title, could not have excellent gameplay due to it not having 8gb of ram? Sir, I think you are too wrapped up over this and making it a bigger deal than it should be. If Naughtty Dog can create an excellent game by the likes of The Last Of Us on so little amount of ram, what makes you think the PS4 situation is different? 

BTW, thanks for calling me ignorant. I hope you have enjoyed the Main PS4 thread I created and you guys shaped...

Im not telling you at all what you can or cant enjoy

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Message 44 of 74 (164 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5309 posts

Jul 27, 2013

peckdogg68 wrote:

da1writer wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

da1writer wrote:

TheSpiralMatrix wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

lanie_faye wrote:

The limited ram in the PS3 did not affect gameplay in the Last of Us.

Like UPS, you asked, I delivered.

No matter the amount of ram given to devs, they can optimize and utilize it in ways you just can't fathom until you play the game and appreciate the handiwork.

Message 45 of 74 (161 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1573 posts

Jul 27, 2013

Yeah its pretty pathetic but its the information age.. Alot of P.C. games don't even use 4gb of Ram seriously.. P.C. gamers install more ram due to background process... Since Microsoft fails to learn how to make proper OS.. if you compare the process list in Windows vs Mac lmao.. you will scream.. 

Furthermore the PS4 uses FreeBsd.. Amd64 Modified version.. The increase in memory for it is most likely for things to add in the future.. New features, Built in Apps.. Though i think they should just let gamers download the app they want.. From the PSN i mean its an x86 system cmon Sony.. They should even let us install FreeBsd if we choose to... Obviously there is an Amd64 bit driver available for the PS4 

Message 46 of 74 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2155 posts

Jul 27, 2013

Well apparantly im going to be screaming about the back up processes of the ps4 as well if the speculation is correct.

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Message 47 of 74 (148 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
765 posts

Jul 27, 2013

4.5 ram for games is good enough. People need to stop getting worried, like for real. I've seen people cry about there not being 7 gigs or saying that the competitions console is now "more powerful".. and it's ridiculus. Developers have been praising the PS4 and they know all the details of it. Also people need to remember that we still don't know all the information, like the actual gpu that is being used.

For the record: The power advantage many sites have been mentioning is coming from raw GPU power, not ram. Stop thinking ram = everything.

Follow me!
Twitter Twitch
Message 48 of 74 (142 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
12382 posts

Jul 27, 2013
You guys are getting mad over rumors like relax
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Message 49 of 74 (138 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1573 posts

Jul 27, 2013

da1writer wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

da1writer wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

da1writer wrote:

TheSpiralMatrix wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

lanie_faye wrote:

The limited ram in the PS3 did not affect gameplay in the Last of Us.

Like UPS, you asked, I delivered.

No matter the amount of ram given to devs, they can optimize and utilize it in ways you just can't fathom until you play the game and appreciate the handiwork.

People screaming OH NO's less ram are pretty dimwitted in my opinion.. Did they ever think about if their P.C. has 2 GB of GDDR5 and an 8 core processor if it would even use that much ram  ?? Absolutely not..  In my opinion the best games in the PS4 might use at best 3.5GB of GDDR5..  Which is not off the shelf memory.. Speaking of Off the shelf this is what Xbox One is using.. I can buy this memory today.. 
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/amd_launches_ddr3-2133_memory_kit_takes_aim_gamers

Message 50 of 74 (133 Views)