Reply
MVP Support
Registered: 04/12/2006
Online
5221 posts
 

Re: Why all the Concern over the OS RAM?

Jul 27, 2013

peckdogg68 wrote:

da1writer wrote:

TheSpiralMatrix wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

lanie_faye wrote:
first there isnt a official word from sony if this is true. So far the reports have speculated that at minimum 2.5 be needed to be deadicated to the OS which is .5 less than xbox and 1gb will be flexible either way leaving 5.5gb. While i agree i dnt see why the didnt leave room for the OS by upping the 8gb to 10 and leaving 8 for games 2gb for OS.

The article i read says 4.5 gb dedicated to os, well that is 3.5 to os and another 1 gb free possibly to gaming possibly to os but it is speculation at this point.


 

 

Everything is "Speculation" until we have it in our hands.


Even then, ti's not going to affect the way we play games either...


Would you care to explain how it wont affect how we play games/ games created i am under the impression more gb's developers have to work with the more they can put into a game and graphics.  Instead of just saying it wont affect gameplay tell me why it wont affect gameplay or i will just think you are completely ignorant.


It may not effect gameplay for a long time. It will be hard for developers to use 4.5 gb of ram in the near future.

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 31 of 74 (188 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 06/20/2009
Offline
2157 posts
 

Re: Why all the Concern over the OS RAM?

Jul 27, 2013

ExMimic wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

da1writer wrote:

TheSpiralMatrix wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

lanie_faye wrote:
first there isnt a official word from sony if this is true. So far the reports have speculated that at minimum 2.5 be needed to be deadicated to the OS which is .5 less than xbox and 1gb will be flexible either way leaving 5.5gb. While i agree i dnt see why the didnt leave room for the OS by upping the 8gb to 10 and leaving 8 for games 2gb for OS.

The article i read says 4.5 gb dedicated to os, well that is 3.5 to os and another 1 gb free possibly to gaming possibly to os but it is speculation at this point.


 

 

Everything is "Speculation" until we have it in our hands.


Even then, ti's not going to affect the way we play games either...


Would you care to explain how it wont affect how we play games/ games created i am under the impression more gb's developers have to work with the more they can put into a game and graphics.  Instead of just saying it wont affect gameplay tell me why it wont affect gameplay or i will just think you are completely ignorant.


It may not effect gameplay for a long time. It will be hard for developers to use 4.5 gb of ram in the near future.


But it is possible to affect gameplay correct?  Im looking at a system i will have for the next 10 years or so correct, I want them to maximize graphics, peoples comments are just making me wonder why they think the way they are.  Thats a big os and not necessary.  The comments im hearing is what makes me keep commenting like 4.5 gb of ram will make no difference when everyone knows it can make a difference.  Again i have my preorder and im not cancelling it unless ps goes under 2 gb for gameplay which wont happen, this isnt a deal breaker as i said before but it should be a concern to all gamers.

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Message 32 of 74 (183 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/27/2010
Offline
13101 posts
 

Re: Why all the Concern over the OS RAM?

Jul 27, 2013

peckdogg68 wrote:

ExMimic wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

da1writer wrote:

TheSpiralMatrix wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

lanie_faye wrote:
first there isnt a official word from sony if this is true. So far the reports have speculated that at minimum 2.5 be needed to be deadicated to the OS which is .5 less than xbox and 1gb will be flexible either way leaving 5.5gb. While i agree i dnt see why the didnt leave room for the OS by upping the 8gb to 10 and leaving 8 for games 2gb for OS.

The article i read says 4.5 gb dedicated to os, well that is 3.5 to os and another 1 gb free possibly to gaming possibly to os but it is speculation at this point.


 

 

Everything is "Speculation" until we have it in our hands.


Even then, ti's not going to affect the way we play games either...


Would you care to explain how it wont affect how we play games/ games created i am under the impression more gb's developers have to work with the more they can put into a game and graphics.  Instead of just saying it wont affect gameplay tell me why it wont affect gameplay or i will just think you are completely ignorant.


It may not effect gameplay for a long time. It will be hard for developers to use 4.5 gb of ram in the near future.


But it is possible to affect gameplay correct?  Im looking at a system i will have for the next 10 years or so correct, I want them to maximize graphics, peoples comments are just making me wonder why they think the way they are.  Thats a big os and not necessary.  The comments im hearing is what makes me keep commenting like 4.5 gb of ram will make no difference when everyone knows it can make a difference.  Again i have my preorder and im not cancelling it unless ps goes under 2 gb for gameplay which wont happen, this isnt a deal breaker as i said before but it should be a concern to all gamers.


Not necessary? Are you kidding me? Do you see how slow the XMB is while playing a game?

Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 33 of 74 (179 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 04/12/2006
Online
5221 posts
 

Re: Why all the Concern over the OS RAM?

Jul 27, 2013

peckdogg68 wrote:

But it is possible to affect gameplay correct?  Im looking at a system i will have for the next 10 years or so correct, I want them to maximize graphics, peoples comments are just making me wonder why they think the way they are.  Thats a big os and not necessary.  The comments im hearing is what makes me keep commenting like 4.5 gb of ram will make no difference when everyone knows it can make a difference.  Again i have my preorder and im not cancelling it unless ps goes under 2 gb for gameplay which wont happen, this isnt a deal breaker as i said before but it should be a concern to all gamers.


I don't have an answer for you. Personaly, I'm not worried about it ever effecting games. 4.5 GB sounds like more than enough to me. I'm not as tech savvy as other on the forums, so maybe someone else can explain how it could effect games in the future. 

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 34 of 74 (170 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 06/20/2009
Offline
2157 posts
 

Re: Why all the Concern over the OS RAM?

Jul 27, 2013

ExMimic wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

But it is possible to affect gameplay correct?  Im looking at a system i will have for the next 10 years or so correct, I want them to maximize graphics, peoples comments are just making me wonder why they think the way they are.  Thats a big os and not necessary.  The comments im hearing is what makes me keep commenting like 4.5 gb of ram will make no difference when everyone knows it can make a difference.  Again i have my preorder and im not cancelling it unless ps goes under 2 gb for gameplay which wont happen, this isnt a deal breaker as i said before but it should be a concern to all gamers.


I don't have an answer for you. Personaly, I'm not worried about it ever effecting games. 4.5 GB sounds like more than enough to me. I'm not as tech savvy as other on the forums, so maybe someone else can explain how it could effect games in the future. 


We all know how it can affect gameplay just like 4.5 gb is better the 1 gb as i stated before the more memory a developer has to work with the more graphic quality can be created per scence.  For example fans at a soccer stadium, the world around you in call of duty, the interactions player charaters have they can stick more content into the games.  I just want the people who are saying it doesnt matter to tell me why it doesnt matter, you wont hear them give me a reason why because it does matter.  Will the memory be enough when they say what it is?  Probably, but this isnt charmin ultra, less isnt more.

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Message 35 of 74 (164 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 04/12/2006
Online
5221 posts
 

Re: Why all the Concern over the OS RAM?

Jul 27, 2013

peckdogg68 wrote:

ExMimic wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

But it is possible to affect gameplay correct?  Im looking at a system i will have for the next 10 years or so correct, I want them to maximize graphics, peoples comments are just making me wonder why they think the way they are.  Thats a big os and not necessary.  The comments im hearing is what makes me keep commenting like 4.5 gb of ram will make no difference when everyone knows it can make a difference.  Again i have my preorder and im not cancelling it unless ps goes under 2 gb for gameplay which wont happen, this isnt a deal breaker as i said before but it should be a concern to all gamers.


I don't have an answer for you. Personaly, I'm not worried about it ever effecting games. 4.5 GB sounds like more than enough to me. I'm not as tech savvy as other on the forums, so maybe someone else can explain how it could effect games in the future. 


We all know how it can affect gameplay just like 4.5 gb is better the 1 gb as i stated before the more memory a developer has to work with the more graphic quality can be created per scence.  For example fans at a soccer stadium, the world around you in call of duty, the interactions player charaters have they can stick more content into the games.  I just want the people who are saying it doesnt matter to tell me why it doesnt matter, you wont hear them give me a reason why because it does matter.  Will the memory be enough when they say what it is?  Probably, but this isnt charmin ultra, less isnt more.


I don't believe it will effect gameplay because a lot of developers have said the PS4 has more than enough RAM. If developers aren't worried about it, i'm not worried about. 

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 36 of 74 (160 Views)
Gaming Beast
Registered: 06/20/2009
Offline
2157 posts
 

Re: Why all the Concern over the OS RAM?

Jul 27, 2013

Why is it so hard to understand the point im making i dont care if you are worried about it or not this isnt rocket science, I am just saying they are using more space then necessary for the OS if the estimates are correct and more space for developers cant be a bad thing even if 95 percent of the developers dont use all the space. 

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Message 37 of 74 (156 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 04/12/2006
Online
5221 posts
 

Re: Why all the Concern over the OS RAM?

Jul 27, 2013

peckdogg68 wrote:

Why is it so hard to understand the point im making i dont care if you are worried about it or not this isnt rocket science, I am just saying they are using more space then necessary for the OS if the estimates are correct and more space for developers cant be a bad thing even if 95 percent of the developers dont use all the space. 


I understand your point. They are allegedly using 1.5 GB for the OS, 1 GB reserve for future updates, 4.5 GB for devs, and 1 GB reserved in case the devs need it. 

 

If developers are maxing out 5.5 GB in 6 years, it should be possible for Sony to reallocate the remaining space to the devs.

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 38 of 74 (148 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 06/22/2013
Offline
365 posts
 

Re: Why all the Concern over the OS RAM?

Jul 27, 2013

peckdogg68 wrote:

Why is it so hard to understand the point im making I don't care if you are worried about it or not this isnt rocket science, I am just saying they are using more space then necessary for the OS if the estimates are correct and more space for developers cant be a bad thing even if 95 percent of the developers dont use all the space. 


and as years go by developers will get better at coding for the PS4 and will use less RAM to do more amazing things while Sony Optimizes and Minimizes the RAM that is actually needed for the OS.

 

Its not that I don't get what your saying I just don't see how its a issue now or then. Current consoles did just fine with only a fraction of this RAM.

 

Launch games will look great and games will continue to look better and better as years go by.


thespiralmatrix's Gamercard
Message 39 of 74 (147 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 06/20/2009
Offline
2157 posts
 

Re: Why all the Concern over the OS RAM?

Jul 27, 2013

So


TheSpiralMatrix wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

Why is it so hard to understand the point im making I don't care if you are worried about it or not this isnt rocket science, I am just saying they are using more space then necessary for the OS if the estimates are correct and more space for developers cant be a bad thing even if 95 percent of the developers dont use all the space. 


and as years go by developers will get better at coding for the PS4 and will use less RAM to do more amazing things while Sony Optimizes and Minimizes the RAM that is actually needed for the OS.

 

Its not that I don't get what your saying I just don't see how its a issue now or then. Current consoles did just fine with only a fraction of this RAM.

 

Launch games will look great and games will continue to look better and better as years go by.


So why not have 1 gb because they are going to get so good at coding in the future?  And the article i read says they are going to use 3.5 gb for the os 1 gb in reserve do the math that would be 4.5 possibly dedicated and leave an additional 3.5 gb for gaming.  Now again this is speculation and no info is definate or known at this point but I want less for the OS and more for gaming.  If we end up with 4.5 for gaming i would be very happy with that, ideal would be 5.5 in my opinion but 4.5 would blow xbox one away, 3.5 would be ok.

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Message 40 of 74 (137 Views)
Reply
0 Likes