MVP Support
6003 posts

Re: Why all the Concern over the OS RAM?

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2013

UnrealButcher wrote:

The thing is if Sony only put up 1GB for OS/UI, everyone would be complaining about how awful it is, it's too plain, and how laggy it is when going from game to Ustream, or chat or opening an app while in game or this or that. I'm sure Sony knows what it's doing, and this is coming from someone that's been on XBL for the last 10 years. No fanboyism here, just 30+ years of gaming.

I quite agree with you actually... look at the Playstation Store, it's quite laggy, slow, and take forever to load and exit.

The web browser also... egad...

More ram available to the OS and future updates is great imo.

This article breaks it down pretty well..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

Message 21 of 74 (209 Views)
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

Jul 27, 2013
first there isnt a official word from sony if this is true. So far the reports have speculated that at minimum 2.5 be needed to be deadicated to the OS which is .5 less than xbox and 1gb will be flexible either way leaving 5.5gb. While i agree i dnt see why the didnt leave room for the OS by upping the 8gb to 10 and leaving 8 for games 2gb for OS.
Message 22 of 74 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2157 posts

Jul 27, 2013

da1writer wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

That is a good point it is just rumors but I am expecting/ prepared to be slightly angry about this.  It isnt a deal breaker for me but it will cause a lot of concern.  No reason i can think of an os should need more then 2 gbs.  Not even M$ is planning on using that much.  But i wont talk or post about this again until I hear from Sony.

What's funny is, it's not going to affect your gaming whatsoever. 

You're not going to be playing  Killzone Shadow Fall and say

"Man, these graphics are great but if only a few more gb of ram was available, this game could have looked even better..."

Give me a break...

If the Last of Us, Killzone 3, and Uncharted 3 can looks as good as they do with a 512mb split ram architecture, games are going to look great with over 4gb no matter what...

Are you kidding me of course it will affect gameplay, do you know what you are saying?  If you allow developers more space they can create more movements interaction within the game.  I cant believe people are giving you kudo's and by the way this is beginning to seem like a MS forum when people question anything the company does (or in this case may do) fanboys torch them and say that doesnt matter at all you wont notice a difference.  If there will be no difference why not go with 1gb for gameplay?

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Message 23 of 74 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2157 posts

Jul 27, 2013

lanie_faye wrote:
first there isnt a official word from sony if this is true. So far the reports have speculated that at minimum 2.5 be needed to be deadicated to the OS which is .5 less than xbox and 1gb will be flexible either way leaving 5.5gb. While i agree i dnt see why the didnt leave room for the OS by upping the 8gb to 10 and leaving 8 for games 2gb for OS.

The article i read says 4.5 gb dedicated to os, well that is 3.5 to os and another 1 gb free possibly to gaming possibly to os but it is speculation at this point.

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Message 24 of 74 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
365 posts

Jul 27, 2013

peckdogg68 wrote:

lanie_faye wrote:

The article i read says 4.5 gb dedicated to os, well that is 3.5 to os and another 1 gb free possibly to gaming possibly to os but it is speculation at this point.

Everything is "Speculation" until we have it in our hands.

thespiralmatrix's Gamercard
Message 25 of 74 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3578 posts

Jul 27, 2013

Ikit-Klaw wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
More is better. I demand more or ps4 pre-prder=cancelled

Yep, if Sony doesn't add 2 terabytes of ram I will cancel my pre-order. 

Hehehe, imagine the cost... O.O

Message 26 of 74 (157 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6003 posts

Jul 27, 2013

TheSpiralMatrix wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

lanie_faye wrote:

Even then, ti's not going to affect the way we play games either...

Message 27 of 74 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2157 posts

Jul 27, 2013

da1writer wrote:

TheSpiralMatrix wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

lanie_faye wrote:

Even then, ti's not going to affect the way we play games either...

Would you care to explain how it wont affect how we play games/ games created i am under the impression more gb's developers have to work with the more they can put into a game and graphics.  Instead of just saying it wont affect gameplay tell me why it wont affect gameplay or i will just think you are completely ignorant.

Message 28 of 74 (146 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 27, 2013

I'm sure sony will change just to get your sale......

Message 29 of 74 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2157 posts

Jul 27, 2013

2 posts and we have a fanboy flamer welcome to the ps forums

Message 30 of 74 (137 Views)
0 Likes