Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
1 posts

Re: Why You Should Get an SSD for your PS3 (especially for Skyrim)

Aug 28, 2013

I only read the first page so I don't know if this has been covered, but the playstation writes to the hdd a lot. There is only a certain amount of write cycles to ssd's and putting it into a playstation it would not last as long as the RPM drive should.

Also I read someone talking about fragmentation on ssd's.... Don't ever defrag your ssd.

As I said.. finite write cycles. The amount of writing a defrag would do to the drive would greatly diminish its life span.

Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 49 (2,708 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 29, 2013

I started reading this thread after considering upgrading my PS3 HDD, I started searching and reading reviews on various 500gb and 1tb HDD's and to my shock there are lots of reports about HDD's suffering "the click of death", even the known reliable brands like Seagate and WD, so can anyone on here tell me (irrespective of performance) how the SSD compares to an HDD in reliability terms , as I understand it in lamens terms and HDD has lots of moving Parts which are obviously prone to failure yet an SSD is bascally an Advanced technology Flash drive with a similar construction to that of RAM in a PC  hence no moving parts and therefore less failures, and we all know that wiping all types of HDD's and SSD's reduces their life span (especially HDD as the more you wipe it the worse it performs), so can anyone answer this ?. ( however I will say that in terms of gaming the most lifespan you will require is about 3 to 5 years at most as when you buy a system its not too long before its obsolete and worth about £10 , and that price includes your games).......

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 49 (1,996 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 29, 2013

Hey I'm looking to get a ssd for the 60g backwards fatboy and I'm seeing Kingston and Corsair got any recommendations? I'll get a ps4 later not done with the 3 but want to speed er up a bit!:smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 49 (1,982 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

Dec 29, 2013

I agree with the OP fully.

There are multiple benefits seen and unseen with an SSD upgrade. The prices that the nay-sayers are listing here are unfounded and probably the first thing they saw on a Google Shopping search. There are deals to be found on quality SSD's with ample storage for most gamers.

It's true you will have less space for things, and people who store movies on their PS3 (for some reason) will be out of space eventually, but if you just have 3-4 games that you play often, there is plenty of space for them to all be installed. I would recommend a 120GB+ SSD which can be had for around $69-79 (Newegg, Tigerdirect, etc) SATA II or III.

An SSD won't improve texture quality but texture pop-in WILL be noticably better. The seamlessness of sprinting through an open world will jump out at you. Textures at a distance will load before you get to them instead of loading as you pass by.

And as with computers, the processor will have a more consistent workload being that it won't we waiting on the HDD to process data. That consistency will translate into less jitter and jumpy graphics. And of course load times will be cut, more in some games than others but no matter the game it will be better than HDD.

SSD will consume less power and be quieter, less stress on the power supply. Less heat. Blah blah

Just get an SSD if you use your PS3 alot.

Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 49 (1,976 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 19, 2014

For those who want to improve their PS3's performance, SSDs are a good choice, albeit a tad expensive. SSDs wear out though, so that is something to consider. A possible analogy would be to think of SSDs like printer toner cartridges; they don't die right away, but the do die over time. How fast, depends entirely on how many writes are performed on the memory cells, which are said to be generally writeable around 10,000 times in MLC SSD drives (which are the most common).

One thing to note is that good SSDs will be much faster than HDDs in every way. Sequential reads/writes, where HDDs tend to be pretty good, are still a little or a lot faster on SSDs. Random reads/writes are much faster on SSDs period. In the SSD, the memory cells are accessed directly, whereas on an HDD, the mechanical arm has to move quickly to different locations, which is time consuming (orders of magnitude slower), and eventually lead to failures in HDDs (although your mileage may vary).

I have worked with several hundred SSDs and many thousands of HDDs, so I have seen both break. A lot. The early SSDs or the cheap ones, I totally cannot recommend. They were expensive and full of firmware bugs. Recent SSDs (last two years maybe?) from the likes on Intel work like a charm. HDDs are great in their own way, but preferences here are very personal, so I will not name any brand. Just make sure you are not using anything with a bad reputation (google first).

Now they also sell hybrid drives, which contain both an SSD and HDD in the same drive. I do not like these at this particular moment, but I may change my opinion in the future. In any case, hybrid drives like the Seagate Momentus XT, should perform as well as an SSD in the beginning and the benefits/performance should go down (towards the HDD side), as the drive fills up. If you have movies and other big data on the drive, you might opt for one of these.

As for SATA specifications, SSDs will always be able to make better use of the available bandwidth than HDDs, and new SSDs will likely be limited by said specification (by maxing it out), so although the full SSD potential cannot be utilized, it is still a huge improvement on an HDD.

Although SSDs absolutely do not improve graphics (there is nothing graphic related in the drive), you might still see improvements in the graphical experience, if for example, a game needs to load data in game and the data is not available to the CPU yet, as the HDD is still frantically "seeking" for it and passing it on. The visual experience would then result smoother or less fragmented, giving the illusion of better graphics.

Load times being much faster on the SSD will likely improved the general experience too. As for the SSD lifespan, it should last easily 3 - 5 years. HDDs can last a lot longer, but they also break so always take a backup in any case. It's no fun to lose data...

Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 49 (1,731 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Why You Should Get an SSD for your PS3

Mar 18, 2014

Ok, I seen that a lot of people feel that a SSD isn't that much of an improvement device to add to your system.

I like to point out that with a SSD the performance is WAY better! Secondly, I want to point out that, Yes, the price for a SSD is to much to some people that are will to wait for something to load from a HDD.
I for one is not wanting to wait for anything! I hate needing to wait for my HDD to load something so simple and easy which take forever to freaking load!

I have a SSD in my computer and the gains of having one compared to not having was better then I can even think of, I agree that that SSD are not cheap, but if something that is better and faster was cheap then there wouldn't be a market for them of either HDD or SSD's. Here's an idea of how my SSD works in my computer I have my drive connect to an internal SATA connection that is a 3GB/s connection my SSD can read and write at about 550MB per second the problem is that my drive is best used on a 6GB/s SATA connection instead of a 3GB/s so my read and write speeds are halfed.

That why you all aren't happy about that a SSD only give you minimum performance instead, our connection in the PS3 or any Playstation is 3GB/s just think if it was 6GB/s like it hsould be? Now, I have your attention SSD are the way off the future and will always be! Why? because we can do things faster instead of waiting a millions for the HDD to do what it needs to do.

I for one is planning to place a SSD in my PS3 which I haven't yet because I belive that it cost to much that doesn't me I'm not going to get one! I think everything here should buy a SSD for their Playstation whether it's a PS3 or PS4 it doesn't matter you will see better overall performances out of your system and get a longer life out of it too. Because, the drive is creating a much heat as the other parts in you system has. I can tell you that my computer runs a lot cooler with my SSD instead of the HDD i had before. Now just before you jump my guns on this I had tested my SSD in my computer and PS3 already I know that the benefits are that much, but when I think about it I would rather have my game play not be stop by a slow HDD! Oh by the way too your HDD that you have will die a lot faster because of heat! So, that is why I speak of heat being a problem. To some of you that might not benefit, but for me it a huge change that is needed!

I personally think that Sony Playstations shouldn't be using a blu-ray laser to allow us to plays game I think that SOny would of released the PS4 using USB flash drive instead. 1. Flash drives are faster then reading from a disk that has a lot of storeage. 2. We wouldn't need to replace our Blu-ray Laser all the freaking time! I have replaced my Blu-ray laser in ever system I bought as I have bought over 4 system so far,and the laser need to be replace once a year for how much I play on my system. I think it would benefit all of us from less gaming to use a USB flash drive card for our games instead of the stupid-**bleep** blu-ray lasers to have more time playing a game! Hell, when I think about it, whats the difference between a disk and a USB flash drive? the cost of the disk over the flash drive? Sony had a great idea, but I think they fail us by not having games on a flash drive instead which would save load times and a bunch of other things that a blu ray laser fail at. 

But, getting back to my point about SSD, SSD are getting cheaper over time it will not be long when every system, every computer, EVERYWHERE we'll be using SSD for all our task at hand. The idea of a HDD is that they are slow, breakdown, and create a lot of heat inside our units. The graphic card inside our units is already creating enough heat WHY would you want to introduce more heat to a unit when it's not needed? 

SSD are the best thing anybody can install in their system, some of you might think otherwise about it, but I think it's a smarter move to place a SSD in my system, then not to have one.

And to the one's that agree with me

Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 49 (1,556 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8103 posts

Mar 18, 2014

Music_Bachelor wrote:

Ok, I seen that a lot of people feel that a SSD isn't that much of an improvement device to add to your system.

I like to point out that with a SSD the performance is WAY better! Secondly, I want to point out that, Yes, the price for a SSD is to much to some people that are will to wait for something to load from a HDD.
I for one is not wanting to wait for anything! I hate needing to wait for my HDD to load something so simple and easy which take forever to freaking load!

I have a SSD in my computer and the gains of having one compared to not having was better then I can even think of, I agree that that SSD are not cheap, but if something that is better and faster was cheap then there wouldn't be a market for them of either HDD or SSD's. Here's an idea of how my SSD works in my computer I have my drive connect to an internal SATA connection that is a 3GB/s connection my SSD can read and write at about 550MB per second the problem is that my drive is best used on a 6GB/s SATA connection instead of a 3GB/s so my read and write speeds are halfed.

That why you all aren't happy about that a SSD only give you minimum performance instead, our connection in the PS3 or any Playstation is 3GB/s just think if it was 6GB/s like it hsould be? Now, I have your attention SSD are the way off the future and will always be! Why? because we can do things faster instead of waiting a millions for the HDD to do what it needs to do.

I for one is planning to place a SSD in my PS3 which I haven't yet because I belive that it cost to much that doesn't me I'm not going to get one! I think everything here should buy a SSD for their Playstation whether it's a PS3 or PS4 it doesn't matter you will see better overall performances out of your system and get a longer life out of it too. Because, the drive is creating a much heat as the other parts in you system has. I can tell you that my computer runs a lot cooler with my SSD instead of the HDD i had before. Now just before you jump my guns on this I had tested my SSD in my computer and PS3 already I know that the benefits are that much, but when I think about it I would rather have my game play not be stop by a slow HDD! Oh by the way too your HDD that you have will die a lot faster because of heat! So, that is why I speak of heat being a problem. To some of you that might not benefit, but for me it a huge change that is needed!

I personally think that Sony Playstations shouldn't be using a blu-ray laser to allow us to plays game I think that SOny would of released the PS4 using USB flash drive instead. 1. Flash drives are faster then reading from a disk that has a lot of storeage. 2. We wouldn't need to replace our Blu-ray Laser all the freaking time! I have replaced my Blu-ray laser in ever system I bought as I have bought over 4 system so far,and the laser need to be replace once a year for how much I play on my system. I think it would benefit all of us from less gaming to use a USB flash drive card for our games instead of the stupid-**bleep** blu-ray lasers to have more time playing a game! Hell, when I think about it, whats the difference between a disk and a USB flash drive? the cost of the disk over the flash drive? Sony had a great idea, but I think they fail us by not having games on a flash drive instead which would save load times and a bunch of other things that a blu ray laser fail at. 

But, getting back to my point about SSD, SSD are getting cheaper over time it will not be long when every system, every computer, EVERYWHERE we'll be using SSD for all our task at hand. The idea of a HDD is that they are slow, breakdown, and create a lot of heat inside our units. The graphic card inside our units is already creating enough heat WHY would you want to introduce more heat to a unit when it's not needed? 

SSD are the best thing anybody can install in their system, some of you might think otherwise about it, but I think it's a smarter move to place a SSD in my system, then not to have one.

And to the one's that agree with me

Flash drives only work so long before they die after a set number of read and writes. This could be very bad for people who use there system a lot. ill stick to the Blue Ray Drive. Other than a small chance of mechanical failure. Its fast enough and get the job done no questions asked. also Large Flash drives are still preaty exspensive. Google a 1 TB Solid state drive. And you can drop well over $100 on it vs BR Dvd Drive 60 buxks or so.

Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 49 (1,554 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 24, 2014

It's funny how things can change over time. From the first posts seeing so many people saying SSD's had no improvement, to the overwhelming evidence in the last year that SSD's do make improvements. If you play a majority of your games from the disk, and not much online stuff (i.e. CoD, FF XIV, Destiny, etc.), stick with you HDD, because a couple extra seconds reading the disk isn't that great. If you are a big online gamer, go for the SSD, or SSHD, you'll love it.

Many arguments of life span between drives: LOOK IT UP, MAKE YOUR OWN EDUCATED DECISION. Yes, SSD's fail. Guess what, HDD's fail too. My friends computer HDD failed, and it's not even a year old. The technology world has it's inconsistencies, so back up, back up, and back up again if you have vital information you don't want lost.

In my opinion, SSD is a great tool to use (and it's price has dropped in the last 6 months, check it out). If you are on the fence, and have no real complaints with your speed when playing online (mainly loading issues, it took about a minute to load dungeons and areas in FF XIV for me, which is why I switched), then don't bother, and continue your happy gaming.

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 49 (589 Views)
0 Likes