Umbrella Scientist
12625 posts

Re: Why You Should Get an SSD for your PS3 (especially for Skyrim)

Aug 12, 2013

JUXOVA wrote:

A few sites and blogs online have mentioned the idea of replacing your PS3's stock HDD with an SSD to help with lag and loading times on games like Skyrim and GT5 etc... It seems to me that there has been a lot of hate going around about this idea but I believe the hate is completely unwarranted. I personally have switched out my PS3's stock HDD for a Crucial 128GB SSD and what I am seeing is just shy of a miracle.  I would like to encourage everyone to upgrade to an SSD for the following reasons:

1. Unlike our unfortunate friends who own Wiis and XBOXs, we actually can upgrade our console's hard drive
  2. Upgrading your PS3 HDD is easier than buttering a piece of toast (google search "upgrading PS3 HDD" and be sure to back up your data)
  3. A PS3 with an SSD is a lot of graphics bang for your buck. Getting yourself a computer that could perform graphics operations equal to the PS3 would cost you at least $700.00 (educated guess)... You probably paid less than $300 for your PS3 and a decent SSD can be purchased these days for less than $150. 
  4. Adding an SSD lets the core processor shine without waiting on the HDD. The PS3 is really an incredible piece of hardware that is capable of very high quality graphics output. It's lightyears ahead of the Wii and nearly always puts the 360 to shame.
  5. Games that are downloaded onto the HDD or that use the HDD often during game play (as oppposed to reading straight from the Bluray drive) load nearly twice as fast.  Save operations are also quicker.  In a game like Skyrim for example the difference is night and day.  I literally watched 10 to 15 seconds get shaved off of each loading screen between places plus dialoges and menus loaded much better too.
  6. Maybe I'm seeing things but I'm telling you Skyrim looks better on an SSD.  Textures also seem richer and more detailed and hang ups are much more rare. This has been seen in other games as well.

Come on guys!  The PS3 is going on five years old and we all know games are starting to push it's limits.  We should be thanking Sony that we can upgrade our HDDs.  Yes developers should be better about testing on console but this is 2012.  Bite the bullet and put in an SSD.  Your improved PS3 will be putting a smile on your face until PS4

ssds dont give a boost in graphics, the only benifit it would have is faster load times..  and which to me is not worth the sacrifice of storage space,,

and prices is bad.. ok it costs $650.00 for a 1tb samsung SSD where a standard laptop drive that holds 1tb costs $119 from newegg.com

>

Message 31 of 62 (3,160 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12625 posts

Aug 12, 2013

JUXOVA wrote:

WOW... I wrote this post BECAUSE there is a lot of hate going on concerning getting an SSD for your PS3 and to show that I actually did it and I found out for myself that it is a major improvement.  Then all of you repost the hate, having absolutely no experience yourself except "what you read on the internet."  Please, I don't need anyone telling me about what they read on the internet concerning this issue... I already know and that's why I started this thread.  For those of you that care about finding out for yourselves try and SSD.  Especially if you like games like GT5 and Skyrim.  And kythunder, it doesn't shave 2 seconds off loading times for those games... try 20 seconds. 

the point you fail with is the fact that it improves graphics... it doesnt..  a ssd does what a hard drive does which is hold data..  if there is any improvement it would be loading times..  thats it... and for the price you have to pay for a equivelant size of storage space is not worth it...  i would consider a ssd when prices are more on par with standard hard drives

>

Message 32 of 62 (3,159 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2036 posts

Aug 13, 2013
whats the difference between HDD and SSD? i know HDD is the hard drive. is SSD just an external one?
Message 33 of 62 (3,144 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6532 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 13, 2013

Occhi07 wrote:
whats the difference between HDD and SSD? i know HDD is the hard drive. is SSD just an external one?

See the difference now? left HDD(moving parts) right SSD(no moving parts)   ...google.com is awesome

InsideHDDSSD.jpg

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 34 of 62 (3,142 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2036 posts

Aug 13, 2013

ThePunisher wrote:

Occhi07 wrote:

See the difference now? left HDD(moving parts) right SSD(no moving parts)   ...google.com is awesome

InsideHDDSSD.jpg

....its easier to ask you guys...

Message 35 of 62 (3,135 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6532 posts

Aug 13, 2013

Occhi07 wrote:

ThePunisher wrote:

Occhi07 wrote:

speaks volumes...

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 36 of 62 (3,131 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2036 posts

Aug 13, 2013

ThePunisher wrote:

Occhi07 wrote:

ThePunisher wrote:

Occhi07 wrote:

speaks volumes...

*types volumes

Message 37 of 62 (3,123 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Aug 13, 2013

Ron-Shrine wrote:
Well I do agree upgrading your PS3 to a SSD is a great performance drive and I also agree with people saying that the SSD is very expensive but think about guys back then HDD used to be very expensive to. So for you guys I suggest just wait until the price goes down.right now there are deals for SSD that you check on Amazon, eBay or your local retail store. I'm also hunted down deals on hard drives to so I'm getting both SSD and HDD so I have backups for Each of them

That does not ccontribute anything to this thread.... next time make sure to be aware of the timestamp. If it looks old, let it be and don't bump it.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 38 of 62 (3,122 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Aug 13, 2013

Hi_Top_Sneak wrote:

hey you think if I put in an SSD and downloaded Call of Duty from the PSN store it would help out in multiplayer?

No.... it won't do ANYTHING.

You should ask your parents to get a faster internet service.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 39 of 62 (3,122 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Aug 13, 2013

Occhi07 wrote:

SSD stands for Solid State Drive, and uses Flash memory for its storage. Its only benefit at the moment is that is INCREDIBLY faster than an HDD. And when used in RAID0 on a PC, it CONSIDERABLY is faster (I recommend you do a youtube search for "SSD RAID0" and see for yourself)

A hard disk drive is comparatively slower, but its speed has pretty much been the same for the last 15 years.
hdd's are cheap and have A TON of storage space. 
And with drive indexing of current operating systems, overall load times doesn't degrade the full-er a drive gets.

For comparisons in speed, youtube search "SSD vs HDD".

But on PS3.... there is little to no benefit because the PS3's bottleneck on an SSD is its interface connection.... to take advantage of an SSD you'd need a SATA3 connection, and the PS3 only has a SATA1.5 connection.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 40 of 62 (3,113 Views)