Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: Why You Should Get an SSD for your PS3 (especially for Skyrim)

Mar 19, 2012

On second thought, manual garbage collection utility might not work on the PS3. The PS3 drive is encrypted, and I don't think the utility would be able to search for free space on the file system. Better update drive firmware.

Message 21 of 62 (5,267 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Mar 23, 2012

Thx potato.  I have since updated the firmware on my new drive.  I appreciate the tip!

Message 22 of 62 (5,267 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Mar 23, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

I paid something like $800 for that SSD when it released, and it was a complete waste of money. for 10x less of the cost I had a 500gb hdd that performed almost exactly the same. 

-Minds are like Parachutes. They work best when open. -There's no limit to what brainwashed people can rationalize

You mean the SSD you paid $800 for worked the same as your 500GB regular HDD?  Was this in the PS3 or in your computer as well?  Sounds like you got a terrible SSD back when SSD technology was new.  You can pick up a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid 500GB drive for less than $120.00 right now and I am telling you GT5 tracks and Skyrim travels load much faster.

Message 23 of 62 (5,267 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 23, 2012

You just said in the other post that the load times are about the same as the new 500gb Momentus you just tried. You have to compare apples to apples. An old HD drive won't transfer data as fast as a HD drive built several years later. I saw this same thing with IDE drives over the years. So you can't compare a new SDD drive to an old HD drive and say "SSD is better than HD". You need to compare a new HD to a new SATA, and note that both are going to be throttled down because PS3 only supports 1.5gbps SATA. If you do that, most people who have also compared the two say the same thing you said in the other post, that a new HD is barely slower if at all than the SSD. And then that brings into question whether that tiny bit of performance really is worth the extra cost (because even though price has come down, they are still much more expensive per GB), and the possible problems with fragmentation (and other things) down the road.

Some say yes, others say no.

Message 24 of 62 (5,267 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 24, 2012

I just have a comment on fragmentation mentioned in your post.

It's possible for fragmentation in the traditional sense (running low on free space, files being split up into many parts) to build up, but it does not affect SSD performance like it would conventional hard drives. SSDs have zero seek time, so there's little or no penalty to having a file split up.

If you mean the lack of TRIM for automatic garbage collection from deleted blocks, then I wouldn't use the term fragmentation because it potentially causes confusion. I don't want people to think SSDs need regular defragmentation if they're running them in a PC, because that can be detrimental to drive life.

Message 25 of 62 (5,267 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 24, 2012

Yeah, I meant that more generically pointing back to the previous conversation. There are a number of downsides, including that it has a limited number of writes or so I've heard.

Message 26 of 62 (5,267 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 24, 2012

yea SSD still has a long way to go before they become the main drive for most people including the ridiculous prices...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 27 of 62 (5,267 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 12, 2013

hey you think if I put in an SSD and downloaded Call of Duty from the PSN store it would help out in multiplayer?

Message 28 of 62 (4,536 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Aug 12, 2013
Well I do agree upgrading your PS3 to a SSD is a great performance drive and I also agree with people saying that the SSD is very expensive but think about guys back then HDD used to be very expensive to. So for you guys I suggest just wait until the price goes down.right now there are deals for SSD that you check on Amazon, eBay or your local retail store. I'm also hunted down deals on hard drives to so I'm getting both SSD and HDD so I have backups for Each of them
Message 29 of 62 (3,662 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5476 posts

Aug 12, 2013

Thread's Dead

Grindhead_Jim

Message 30 of 62 (3,660 Views)