Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: Why You Should Get an SSD for your PS3 (especially for Skyrim)

Mar 19, 2012

Fragmentation isn't the concern with SSDs (do not defragment a SSD using a defragmentation utility; it increases wear), but the handling of deleted files by the operating system. Newer SSDs sometimes have firmware that performs automatic garbage collection independently of the operating system and TRIM support. Firmware updates can also add automatic garbage collection to older drives. Thus, it can be important to keep SSD firmware up to date in a PC if you go the SSD route.

Message 11 of 62 (10,300 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 19, 2012

fragmentation is a very big problem with these,i already know you don't use a defrag utility but using these in a ps3 you have no way to use TRIM to correct these errors so it will just get bottled up over time..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 12 of 62 (10,300 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 19, 2012

JUXOVA wrote:

FYI- Since starting this thread I have also picked up a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT (HDD & SSD Hybrid) for $119.99 off newegg and dropped it into my PS3 with great results.  The XMB menu is less snappy but load times on Skyrim are just as fast as the SSD.  Haven't tried GT5 yet but so far I'm loving the speed plus the huge capacity increase.  Now I could actually keep all my music on my PS3 if I wanted.

Make sure your Seagate Momentus XT has the newest firmware. The current firmware is SD28. It might ship with it, but it might not. It should also say on the sticker on top of the drive. There was a data corruption bug before SD25 or so.

Message 13 of 62 (10,300 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 19, 2012

i just think people using these in their ps3 are going to find it is actually slower than their old hdd over a period of time..so your saying you can still use a trim utilty with these even though its formatted for the ps3??  i didn't know that and could be an option for some..i just personally feel these have a long way to go to get the bugs worked out and make them more reliable..but thats just my opinion..

Message 14 of 62 (10,300 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 19, 2012

If it comes down to that, then pop the drive out and run the manual TRIM utility in a PC before putting it back in the PS3. Repeat once every few months if you feel it's necessary.

The last time I did SSD research, I found that OCZ no longer recommends using their manual TRIM utility even on Windows XP and Vista, but the utility is still offered for troubleshooting. The firmware is smart enough to provide performance over the lifespan of the drive without TRIM commands.

Message 15 of 62 (10,300 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 19, 2012

thats what i was thinking so the FW would have to be the thing to do,i just wonder if even that could be a issue but probably not..

Message 16 of 62 (10,297 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 19, 2012

I thought the PS3 used file system encryption, not HDD encryption. Typically with file system encryption, only the files are encrypted. The tables would not be.

Message 17 of 62 (10,297 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 19, 2012

I thought the entire HDD is encrypted. It shows up as blank or unformatted when plugged into a PC, as far as I know. I might have to dig out one of my old PS3 hard drives and find out.

Message 18 of 62 (10,297 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 19, 2012

That isn't much of an indicator. You would have to connect it to a PC that was running an OS that could recognize the filesystem type in the first place. If it was UFS or UFS2 (which some seem to believe it is or at least based off of), then plugging it into Windows 7 or Vista or WinXP would show blank too.

Message 19 of 62 (10,297 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 19, 2012

I plugged it into my Mac which offers UFS and has FUSE plugin, and it doesn't see a partition table at all. It's a blank drive.

edepot says the partition type is supposed to be Cell File System, a derivative of UFS. Maybe the partition table is encrypted or hidden. Might not be easy to find free space and previously deleted files.

Message 20 of 62 (10,297 Views)
0 Likes