Mar 14 2012
By: JUXOVA First Son 6 posts

Why You Should Get an SSD for your PS3

[ Edited ]
61 replies 114373 views Edited Feb 19, 2014

A few sites and blogs online have mentioned the idea of replacing your PS3's stock HDD with an SSD to help with lag and loading times on games like Skyrim and GT5 etc... It seems to me that there has been a lot of hate going around about this idea but I believe the hate is completely unwarranted. I personally have switched out my PS3's stock HDD for a Crucial 128GB SSD and what I am seeing is just shy of a miracle.  I would like to encourage everyone to upgrade to an SSD for the following reasons:

1. Unlike our unfortunate friends who own Wiis and XBOXs, we actually can upgrade our console's hard drive
  2. Upgrading your PS3 HDD is easier than buttering a piece of toast (google search "upgrading PS3 HDD" and be sure to back up your data)
  3. A PS3 with an SSD is a lot of graphics bang for your buck. Getting yourself a computer that could perform graphics operations equal to the PS3 would cost you at least $700.00 (educated guess)... You probably paid less than $300 for your PS3 and a decent SSD can be purchased these days for less than $150. 
  4. Adding an SSD lets the core processor shine without waiting on the HDD. The PS3 is really an incredible piece of hardware that is capable of very high quality graphics output. It's lightyears ahead of the Wii and nearly always puts the 360 to shame.
  5. Games that are downloaded onto the HDD or that use the HDD often during game play (as oppposed to reading straight from the Bluray drive) load nearly twice as fast.  Save operations are also quicker.  In a game like Skyrim for example the difference is night and day.  I literally watched 10 to 15 seconds get shaved off of each loading screen between places plus dialoges and menus loaded much better too.
  6. Maybe I'm seeing things but I'm telling you Skyrim looks better on an SSD.  Textures also seem richer and more detailed and hang ups are much more rare. This has been seen in other games as well.

Come on guys!  The PS3 is going on five years old and we all know games are starting to push it's limits.  We should be thanking Sony that we can upgrade our HDDs.  Yes developers should be better about testing on console but this is 2012.  Bite the bullet and put in an SSD.  Your improved PS3 will be putting a smile on your face until PS4

Edit: Added label and updated title

Message 1 of 62 (114,373 Views)
Wastelander
663 posts

Re: Why You Should Get an SSD for your PS3 (especially for Skyrim)

Mar 14, 2012

SSDs are way to overpriced right now. Who wants to spend $90 for a 60gb SSD, which will lose like 6gb to the PS3. Especially when you can get a 750gb HDD for less. With just an SSD you really have no room for demos and movies, etc, and not to mention bigger game downloads from the PS store like PS2 classics. Also I read PS3 doesn't really utilize an SSD in the same dramatic way a PC would, so the gain in speed or performance would be minimal. Not worth it this generation.

Message 2 of 62 (114,373 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Mar 14, 2012

Theres almost no benefit of an SSD compared to the value you get with a traditional HDD. None.

I'll stick with my 500gb hdd I bought for $80 4years ago

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 62 (114,373 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Mar 14, 2012

Yeah SSD really isn't great with PS3. I've heard that the performances gains, if any, are insignificant. And an SSD certainly wouldnt improve textures or graphics, thats not what an SSD does. Just use a large HDD.

Message 4 of 62 (114,373 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Mar 14, 2012

i agree with the others,way overpriced and the gains are not really that significant,i don't mind waiting an extra second or 2 for something to load off the hdd..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 5 of 62 (114,373 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 19, 2012

WOW... I wrote this post BECAUSE there is a lot of hate going on concerning getting an SSD for your PS3 and to show that I actually did it and I found out for myself that it is a major improvement.  Then all of you repost the hate, having absolutely no experience yourself except "what you read on the internet."  Please, I don't need anyone telling me about what they read on the internet concerning this issue... I already know and that's why I started this thread.  For those of you that care about finding out for yourselves try and SSD.  Especially if you like games like GT5 and Skyrim.  And kythunder, it doesn't shave 2 seconds off loading times for those games... try 20 seconds. 

Message 6 of 62 (114,373 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Mar 19, 2012

FYI- Since starting this thread I have also picked up a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT (HDD & SSD Hybrid) for $119.99 off newegg and dropped it into my PS3 with great results.  The XMB menu is less snappy but load times on Skyrim are just as fast as the SSD.  Haven't tried GT5 yet but so far I'm loving the speed plus the huge capacity increase.  Now I could actually keep all my music on my PS3 if I wanted.

Message 7 of 62 (114,373 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Mar 19, 2012

JUXOVA wrote:

WOW... I wrote this post BECAUSE there is a lot of hate going on concerning getting an SSD for your PS3 and to show that I actually did it and I found out for myself that it is a major improvement.  Then all of you repost the hate, having absolutely no experience yourself except "what you read on the internet."  Please, I don't need anyone telling me about what they read on the internet concerning this issue... I already know and that's why I started this thread.  For those of you that care about finding out for yourselves try and SSD.  Especially if you like games like GT5 and Skyrim.  And kythunder, it doesn't shave 2 seconds off loading times for those games... try 20 seconds. 

I have experienced an SSD in a PS3..... I took my 250gb OCZ SSD out of my desktop sometime last year, popped into my PS3, and tested it for about a month.... Saw no significant performance increase when playing games that depend on the hdd. None.

I paid something like $800 for that SSD when it released, and it was a complete waste of money. for 10x less of the cost I had a 500gb hdd that performed almost exactly the same.

The PS3 is not going to take advantage of the benefits of an SSD, ever.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 8 of 62 (114,373 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 19, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

The PS3 is not going to take advantage of the benefits of an SSD, ever.

-Minds are like Parachutes. They work best when open. -There's no limit to what brainwashed people can rationalize

I wouldn't say ever, but it does shine in certain limited applications. Maybe it does work great for Skyrim.

Message 9 of 62 (114,373 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Mar 19, 2012

thers also the other issue that SSD's get fragmented very easily so if you do any deleting of things regularly you will always find yourself having to goto safe mode and restore system files,manufactures are still trying to fix this issue..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 10 of 62 (114,373 Views)