Oct 09 2012
By: Rhio2k Lombax Warrior 215 posts

Who's hyped for Retro City Rampage, and why?

27 replies 402 views Edited Oct 9, 2012

I can't find enough info for this game to justify a blind 15 buck purchase of what looks like an nes game (and I'm NOT one to be lured in by hipster-nostalgia of "classic" graphics. I bought a Vita for it's ability to display awesome graphics while being portable). Anybody got info on what you can do in this game...and why it took so long to come out? Is there multiplayer, at least?

Message 1 of 28 (402 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Re: Who's hyped for Retro City Rampage, and why?

Oct 9, 2012

No multiplayer. I think pixel art is a modern style that can have an old school feel. It will look crisp. The game pays homage to many retro games but that's simply part of its sense of humor. Gameplay wiil be similar the first two Grand Theft Auto games and pulls from other classic games. I was excited by the references to more recent indie titles like BIT.TRIP RUNNER and Super Meat Boy. Hopefully, the BIT.TRIP segment will not be as difficult as the game was-if its mandatory. It's probably a minigame.

Above all else, I think the game will be fun. There are ^50 vehicles to steal and drive, ^60 missions, ^40 Arcade games (Goddamn), and ^25 weapons and power-ups. If you watched the video, I'm sorry to reiterate. It looks hectic and unlike any game I've played before. I have never played a GTA game. It's clearly influenced by arcade and retro games. However, I think it will utilize great elements from those titles to give the player an esoteric experience. It seems open-world and offers incentive to explore.

It's an indie game that gained hype early. Once the game was finished, the developers *allowed* for the release date to be pushed a few months. Nothing definitive was ever announced. Fans were just teased. I've had RCR pins on my backpack since July.

Message 2 of 28 (375 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Oct 9, 2012
I am 32 so retro gaming is something that really appeals to me and reminds me of my youth. I can see where a younger crowed may not be into this. I personaly cant wait to this becomes available today.
Message 3 of 28 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
816 posts

Oct 9, 2012
34 here, love classic games but this one dont do it for me. Idk but games like this on vita is like taking step backwards rather than forward. But to each their own.
Message 4 of 28 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2012

allnewfie wrote:
Idk but games like this on vita is like taking step backwards rather than forward.

Man Frustrated

Message 5 of 28 (334 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
215 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2012

Any nes Double Dragon 2/River City Ransom-style beat-em-up action in there, or is it all super-contra-style overhead shooting, and overhead driving? Oh, and I'm 34. I liked the games from back then, but do NOT miss the limited graphics. They coulda at least bumped this up to snes graphics.

Message 6 of 28 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Oct 10, 2012

I got this today and so far I think it's great! There'a  lot of depth to the gameplay, and even if the graphics are simple, you'll see such a huge variety of environments, characters, cars, etc... The animations are also pretty smooth.

Message 7 of 28 (280 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Oct 10, 2012

Well the game started out as a demake of GTA3 and was named Grand Theftendo because of how it looked and play.  But as the game progressed in development, it took the shape that you see here.  But it should play mostly like GTA 1&2 (which you can get for free for the PC from rockstar games)

Message 8 of 28 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1578 posts

Oct 11, 2012
it a ok game. didnt really care for it.
http://uspgc.webs.com

#1XBOX #2 PSV #3 ps3 thumbs down. Shoo fly don't bother me!
AlbaTron209 EST.1985
Message 9 of 28 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
215 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 11, 2012

Same, played the demo...and that **bleep** isn't worth 15 bucks. I could see if American Technos merged River City Ransom and Double Dragon 2, and used the vite's processing powers to fill the screen with crazy amounts of enemies, and with huge stages, but this game should only be costing like 5.99 MAX. It's just basically a nintendo game with a lot of shout-outs. It's shallow as all get-out. IIf Robin WIlliams was describing the game, it'd go like this: "Woo-hoo, you do the same 2 things over and over (drive/run around and shoot people) while we make veiled allusions to expies from the 80's to distract you from how shallow this game is, woo-hoo!"

Now, if the following titles were put on vita, THEY'D be worth 15 bucks:

Limbo

Dust

I Am Alive

Scott Pilgrim

Tekken 5dr

Okami

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown

The Walking Dead

SFIII

MvC Origins

But not this. Sorry. I'm not so desperate for new games to play that I can perform mental gymnastics and delude myself into believing that there's more to this game, and the hokey "nostalgia" of it looking, sounding, and being as shallow as an nes game somehow makes it worth more than an offering with deeper gameplay and console-quality graphics.

Message 10 of 28 (197 Views)
0 Likes