VP of Gaming
28996 posts

Re: Who is picking up Spiderman 2?

Apr 25, 2014

As huge a Spider-Man fan as I am, the thing that's always bothered me about the games is how some developers not only get it wrong, but get it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VERY wrong! Spidey games scream for an open world environment. Why? Because of his signature ability, web slinging. But for some strange reason many developers have Spidey RUNNING everywhere. And for some reason many after Neversoft many developers didn't want to have the web head sticking to ceilings. 

So I'm going to have to see some more gameplay before I plunk down some money for this one. 

Message 11 of 26 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Apr 25, 2014
Definitely on the fence with this one. Is like something to play until Bound by Flame comes out on May 9 but not sure I'll like Spider-man enough. Need to wait for reviews and gameplay videos
Message 12 of 26 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2457 posts

Apr 25, 2014

I'm not picking it up, atleast day one I'm not.  I don't like the way Sony Pictures is making these Amazing Spider-Man movies, and the first amazing spider-man game didn't appeal to me that much, and this one even less so.  I don't feel right spending my money on a product when I know they could make an amazing videogame for an amazing superhero such as Spider-Man.  I remember having a lot of fun with PS1 version of Spider-Man back in the day, the final boss fight against Monster-Ock (symbiote combined with Doc Ock) was awesome.  
I will probably get the next spider-man game that isn't titled the same thing as the movie if it looks like fun.  

Sony owns the rights to the Spider-man movies which they IMO are pretty lame, but I bet if they could somehow get rights to make their own Spider-Man videogame it would be awesome(at least better then their movies).  

I fully understand that Activision is really just trying to get as much profit as they can but if they would just make a really great Spider-Man that was capable of getting reviews and GoTY nominations like the Batman Arkham series, they would be making more money from the game than just plopping out some aight movie tie-in game that people just forget about..

Message 13 of 26 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1432 posts

Apr 25, 2014
Already pre-ordered and paid off. Looking forward to this game, have the platinum on PS3, working on the Vita version now, and will get this platinum on PS4. Besides being a trophy collector in a big Spidey fan so this was a no brainer. I liked the first one on PS3 and from what ive seen on this one I'm sure to enjoy this also.
Message 14 of 26 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Apr 26, 2014

BBurgSteve wrote:

I feel video games based on movies about the same way literarians feel about movies based on books.

The former generally doesn't do the latter much justice.  Like most games based on movies, superhero or not, I'll pass.  At least for the release window.  I may pick it up later on down the road when it gets a price drop or two.

There is one thing Rocksteady did with their Batman Arkham series that most makers of superhero games don't do...  they stayed pretty true to the Batman (and related) comics, rather than basing the game on any particular Batman movie.

AND because of that they are considered maybe the best of the superheroe games in history.  Smiley Happy

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 15 of 26 (127 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28996 posts

Apr 26, 2014

darkforcegod wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:

I feel video games based on movies about the same way literarians feel about movies based on books.

The former generally doesn't do the latter much justice.  Like most games based on movies, superhero or not, I'll pass.  At least for the release window.  I may pick it up later on down the road when it gets a price drop or two.

There is one thing Rocksteady did with their Batman Arkham series that most makers of superhero games don't do...  they stayed pretty true to the Batman (and related) comics, rather than basing the game on any particular Batman movie.

AND because of that they are considered maybe the best of the superheroe games in history.  Smiley Happy

The trap you invariabley fall into when trying to adapt a book into a movie is you have material to get across to a mass audience. So directors have to go in, and considering the source material, they have to figure out what works and what doesn't in a movie context. I'm a huge Clive Cussler fan, and I'll be the first to tell you that Sahara stray a lot from the book, but if you're a movie goer who hadn't read the book, you could step in not knowing anything about Dirk Pitt or Al Giordino, NUMA, or Admiral Sandecker, and you can grasp it pretty quickly. 

The same is probably true for games based on movies. You have to somehow get across the action in a movie in a game, to people who might not see the movie. Often times it's also to entice those who saw the movie, but don't normally play video games, to go and buy it. It doesn't often work. 

What Rocksteady did was incredible. They took exactly what made Batman cool and they created this world you became immersed in. And they succeded masterfully. The attention to detail is just staggering. Everything in the Arkham games, from the voice acting to the whole Steampunk set pieces, just oozes Batman, and doesn't feel added on for the sake of it. I don't see why it can't be done with other super heroes, it will take the same attention to detail. There's been good Spider-Man games before on the PS1. I'm not saying that Amazing Spider-Man 2 will be as good, but it is possible to make a good game on that level again. 

Message 16 of 26 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Apr 26, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

darkforcegod wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:

The trap you invariabley fall into when trying to adapt a book into a movie is you have material to get across to a mass audience. So directors have to go in, and considering the source material, they have to figure out what works and what doesn't in a movie context. I'm a huge Clive Cussler fan, and I'll be the first to tell you that Sahara stray a lot from the book, but if you're a movie goer who hadn't read the book, you could step in not knowing anything about Dirk Pitt or Al Giordino, NUMA, or Admiral Sandecker, and you can grasp it pretty quickly. 

The same is probably true for games based on movies. You have to somehow get across the action in a movie in a game, to people who might not see the movie. Often times it's also to entice those who saw the movie, but don't normally play video games, to go and buy it. It doesn't often work. 

What Rocksteady did was incredible. They took exactly what made Batman cool and they created this world you became immersed in. And they succeded masterfully. The attention to detail is just staggering. Everything in the Arkham games, from the voice acting to the whole Steampunk set pieces, just oozes Batman, and doesn't feel added on for the sake of it. I don't see why it can't be done with other super heroes, it will take the same attention to detail. There's been good Spider-Man games before on the PS1. I'm not saying that Amazing Spider-Man 2 will be as good, but it is possible to make a good game on that level again. 

I hope so.  I like Spiderman so I might give it a try.  I can only lose money so hahaha.

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 17 of 26 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
570 posts

Apr 26, 2014

I wouldn't touch it. It's going to be the same thing every time. Awful story, boring gameplay, PS2 graphics.

Message 18 of 26 (113 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1648 posts

Apr 26, 2014

I thought it was rule of thumb that you don't buy movie based videogames, cause none of them are any good -_-

Got my Vita for $50. Woot.
Message 19 of 26 (94 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
384 posts

Apr 26, 2014

I was thinking about it, because it doesn't look too bad for a movie based game also the first one wasn't too shabby by the sounds of it. 

Message 20 of 26 (105 Views)
0 Likes