Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
11164 posts

Re: Who else thinks they won't get the PlayStation MVP?

Mar 17, 2013

fleinn wrote:

Point is this - neither the link you guys keep posting or any other vague testimonials from the faithful, are actually saying what in the world the program is, or what the mvps are supposed to do.

Obviously, I don't think very highly of several of you folks personally -- but the point was to highlight how utterly and completely unhelpful the MVP-program has been to maintain online populations, or answer any of the concerns we've had with the games. 

But as I said, it's common to see that sort of harassment on the board. And it sours the forums, and replaces any discussion that might have been had, and prevents the boards from being a place to air concerns or actually talk about the games and how they work.

Do you have any concern for that, as an mvp or a playstation owner? Or are you only concerned with your "duties" - whatever they are?

I'm not entirely sure what exactly it is you feel that MVPs should be doing, but up until the last few months MVPs were, in essence, tokens, nothing more. We were supposed to be there to help with game tips, hardware tips, and little things like that. We are not, will not, and never have been employees of Sony or any of Sony's subsidiaries such as Zipper. We have no way to change anything game related such as weapon nerfing, job/class balancing, maps or anything of the sort.

We can run contests like signature contests, but so can anyone else. We can write game reviews, but so can anyone else. We can write a Trophy Guide, but so can anyone else. We are  nothing more than posters with a nifty title that in the end means little to most people. As I mentioned in my last response to you a few minutes ago, the program is changing and we haven't been told what all those changes are going to involve. So as much as I'd like to be transparent and tell you exactly what it is we'll be doing in the future, I have no idea what that is going to be. I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that.

I'm sorry that the sections you've mentioned have disappeared, closed down or become ghost towns. We have nothing to do with that at all. When Sony chose to take over these forums a few years ago, they are the ones who made the decisions on which boards to merge, keep open, close, or eliminate all together.

We used to have an MVP Lounge where anyone over a certain rank could post in, but only MVPs could start threads. It's gone. We used to have a Game Review forum where MVPs could post their game reviews and that's gone. For a while the forum had a Trophy Lounge for Trophy Guides and help. It's gone too. I'm sorry the forums you called home are gone, but we had nothing to do with that decision.

I'm primarily an RPG gamer but the RPG forums are nearly dead. There's little traffic in most RPG related forums such as Final Fantasy and Mass Effect. I also frequented the Vita forum but it's now merged into this general forum. I have expressed my discontent with that change but for now I'm stuck without it.

Yes it bothers me that this happens. I can either gripe about it, or accept it and move on. I've griped about it. I've accepted it. I keep pushing forward because I care about this forum and have been trying to keep it a great place to learn and communicate in.

Message 21 of 82 (331 Views)
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Mar 17, 2013

fleinn wrote:

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

I sincerly hope you get the help you need. 

Lovely. Very high standard.

They weren't quotes. But I remember the posts about the control setup, because it was one of the last things that happened before I left. It was the only thing being discussed on the boards at the time.

So who were responsible for typing the "common opinion" down, and fielding it to Guerrilla Games, then? Some other mvp? Does no one know?

I think PapaWarlock has done a great job summarizing what it is MVPs are and what they're not. I hope that you can accept that and move on to be a better member of the community. 

I'll simply add that when you respond to someone using text in quotations and accusing them of posting things they've never posted about or participated in you're not setting a "very high standard" yourself (see how that works?). So please don't expect it in return.

Message 22 of 82 (319 Views)
PlayStation MVP
18619 posts

Mar 17, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

scarecrowman175 wrote:

I typed out and filled out everything in the Application, however it won't let me hit the "submit" button. When I click it nothing happens. Is it sending in or are MVP apps not being accepted at this time? I tried doing it on 2 different browsers to no avail. 

On the Application page, does it say you are signed into PSN? I filled out the app about 4 times until I tried it while not signed in and it worked then.

If anything, try signing out of PSN on that page and then filing out the App and submitting.

There was also a Javascript (0) error that meant the submit button didn't function, try Internet Explorer if possible, & yes make sure you're signed in to PSN!

BRIT-KO

Here's what my attempts at applying look like over the past 2 days:

1. Google Chrome - Incognito - Signed In: Failed
  2. Google Chrome - Incognito - Signed In (after refreshing 1st failed attempt): Failed
  3. Internet Explorer - Signed In - Failed
  4. Mozilla Firefox - Signed In - Failed
  5. Mozilla Firefox - Not Signed In - Succeeded

I think the problem lies in being signed in. If anyone is still having issues submitting the application, I advise you to sign out on the App page and retry.

Message 23 of 82 (310 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11164 posts

Mar 17, 2013

fleinn wrote:

PapaWarlock wrote:

Yes it bothers me that this happens. I can either gripe about it, or accept it and move on. I've griped about it. I've accepted it. I keep pushing forward because I care about this forum and have been trying to keep it a great place to learn and communicate in.

:smileyhappy: yeah, wondered about the psp forums too. Not sure dropping everything into the stew in general was such a good idea if you didn't want to make grub out of everything.

Anyway, yes, of course agree with that ^. And what I want to hear is that community handlers, official or not, will make it known that the purpose of the board is to air different views and have reasonably friendly discussions about them. I don't know what it's like now when it comes to developer contact.. because I know of developers who didn't think much of the "community feedback" and the community programs either. So I guess it might make sense if the role of the entire mvp-thing is different now..

And it doesn't matter either. But being open about the role of the mvp-program, what the process is (i.e., no "I think we've been talking about something in the closed forums, please stand by" - this is hopeless. No "interview with developers, where we use our exclusive access to ask about the weather". No self-promoting terribly bad and obsolete guides on the frontpage, etc.)... and being clear about what the purpose is. Making the outlook a bit more about being servants than royalty, that sort of thing -- it would do a lot to make the community less hostile, and easier to join for people who don't enjoy internet arguments like a sport, and so on.

But you have to show us some practical steps, right? You know, making good calls about site design. Being a bit more friendly. Not fighting to suppress opinion people don't like, by drowning it out. Less "I have an opinion, and you should respect it because it says MVP on the left" posts. That sort of thing. Opening up for having discussions a bit deeper than "Do we love all things Playstation, and why do we do that?". Putting up with people who make technical arguments, as well as just making observations, about how online gaming works, what is important, what is less important, etc.

I mean, because you guys potentially have good access to Sony HQ proxies - and because it is the first place people who own a playstation product will go - the site could be a useful resource.

From what I was told when I complained griped offered constructive criticism about the merger was that some of the forums simply did not have enough traffic on their own to justify keeping it separate. From my experience the Vita forum was rather healthy, at least in my opinion, but the PS 3 general didn't have quite as much traffic. That varied from day to day of course. I really feel that the handheld section needs to be separate from the console section. Especially with the upcoming PS 4, there will be too much traffic to try and keep the 2 areas merged. I dislike wading through a bunch of threads I'm not interested in, hoping to find the ones I'm looking for. Kind of a downer.

The only developer contact I've had was with the makers of Rainbow Moon when I asked for a couple of codes to give away as prizes to an RPG contest last year. Part of the upcoming changes is that the Sony representatives are slowly inserting themselves into some of the general conversations.

One thread from the Vita section, prior to the merger, was linked to some of us MVPs by Sony. We were asked to add our input about the Vita in the thread and that the information contained within, good and bad, would be presented to actual Sony higher ups. They are looking into ways to improve the system. However I think that any changes brought about by the suggestions are likely to take too much time to satisfy most of us.

Like I said, the MVP role is changing. I wish I could tell you what those changes will entail. I really don't know. I am hoping that we will be able to take a bit more of a direct approach in the upcoming PS 4 community.  I know the "new" Home MVPs (they were part of the former Home Community Volunteer program) tend to take a direct role inside of the Home Community with events and prizes. Depending on how well I like Defiance, I hope to be able to do some events within that game. We might even be able to get a few "official" prizes from Sony such as say $10 vouchers for winning a particular contest, or free DLC codes.

As far as I know, I've never tried to come off as being some kind of royal or elite person here. It's possible that sometimes my comments are taken that way, but I'm just a gamer like everyone else. I don't want people to presume that I'm telling them that my way is the only way and suck it up because I'm an MVP. I hate being accused of doing that.

I don't mind debates, but I hate one sided hate fests.There are some posters that I try to stay away from because dealing with them is like dealing with a brick wall, only the wall listens to me more. We all have our opinions. Sometimes facts are tossed in as a way to bash another person's opinion, but that's the wrong way to use facts (in my opinion). I also tend to shut down mentally when dealing with a poster's overwhelming negativity. Sure the Vita has it's flaws. I'm  not about to sit here and tell you that the Vita is all rosey, hunky dorey and A.... O......Kay! Yes, I love my Vita, but I can admit to its flaws. But there's a difference between harping over those flaws, badgering people who are enjoying their Vitas and offering constructive criticism.

I hope so. I think that's why the program is changing.

Message 24 of 82 (307 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
2091 posts

Mar 17, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

scarecrowman175 wrote:

I typed out and filled out everything in the Application, however it won't let me hit the "submit" button. When I click it nothing happens. Is it sending in or are MVP apps not being accepted at this time? I tried doing it on 2 different browsers to no avail. 

On the Application page, does it say you are signed into PSN? I filled out the app about 4 times until I tried it while not signed in and it worked then.

If anything, try signing out of PSN on that page and then filing out the App and submitting.

Thanks, that worked. I was wondering why no matter how many times I tried it wasn't working. Had to have filled it out 10 times before haha. 

Message 25 of 82 (293 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Mar 17, 2013

fleinn wrote:

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

fleinn wrote:

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

I sincerly hope you get the help you need. 

Lovely. Very high standard.

They weren't quotes. But I remember the posts about the control setup, because it was one of the last things that happened before I left. It was the only thing being discussed on the boards at the time.

So who were responsible for typing the "common opinion" down, and fielding it to Guerrilla Games, then? Some other mvp? Does no one know?

I think PapaWarlock has done a great job summarizing what it is MVPs are and what they're not. I hope that you can accept that and move on to be a better member of the community. 

I'll simply add that when you respond to someone using text in quotations and accusing them of posting things they've never posted about or participated in you're not setting a "very high standard" yourself (see how that works?). So please don't expect it in return.

It wasn't very far off. And you were an mvp at the time, you would have had access to the mvp-forums. PapaWarlock wasn't, I think. So how unreasonable is it to ask you what happened?

Because as you still haven't grasped individual MVPs are just that - individuals with their own opinions and do not reflect the opinion of Sony, or at the time Lithium (who managed the boards). If an MVP actually expressed what you quote and claim they did, then it is their own personal opinion and nothing more. I know as a certainty that I did not ever express any of what your posted. 

PapaWarlock and I became MVPs on the same day. 

Message 26 of 82 (286 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29200 posts

Mar 18, 2013

bronxsushi wrote:

All the people that were insulted for not getting the $10 dollar voucher for being "Loyal", are getting another slap in the face, by being told that they are not in the top 1% of  Playstation users. They are in the lower 99% of Playstation users. It seems like Mitt Romney's campaign manager got a public relations job at Sony. :smileyfrustrated:

1 percent of the PlayStation community did not get emails, only a select few did. The application process is open to everyone. How large the program will become is something we'll all come to find out at some point. 

Message 27 of 82 (440 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
396 posts

Mar 18, 2013

What sucks is this sounds like GAP, but instead its MVP. I always died to be a part of GAP, FINALLY get in, but I get in at the tail slide of it just before it closes lol......

Looks like I may be doing that again. Dying to get into the MVP program, then probably finding my way in only to watch it end lmao

Message 28 of 82 (418 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
857 posts

Mar 18, 2013
I do absolutely nothing.

So theres that..
 photo Jumping-Flash_zps65309ef3.png
Message 29 of 82 (413 Views)
Fender Bender
3293 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 26, 2013

Here's my own personal story,. and I can offer anectdotes to signs of bias, or favoritism, or anything our friend here is being accused of not sufficiently explaining to the fullest.

First off, let it be known to you other MVPs who have wilfully input here of your own accords to offer advice on the subject, that these are genuine concerns of the little person. And that there are others who have do not participate in these forums, nor wish to any longer because of the atrocious acts of censorship, and blatant disregard for normal or acceptable human social interactive paradigms being presented throughout these forums when it may be questionably appropriate contents among like minded individuals.

What I can describe here is not an attack, it is an observation, as I read often and understand what the MVP program is supposed to imply and foster, only just that in the case of how the Starhawk forums are policed, I no longer have any interest in that matter. Mostly because of one clan's involvement and the events that have occured in those forums.

I enjoyed starhawk one week before the beta closed, and preordered it based on my impressions. On May 8th, 2012 I picked up my preorder, and enjoyed the game for 2 days. I was dead set on making my own clan, or transferring my clan from Resistance 2 over to this wonderful game that was so much fun to play.

It ended up being an exorcise in vanity, I was not successful, and upon my return to Starhawk I see much has changed, to things I didn't feel all to comfortable at first. Upon my search of forums where I can voice my opinions I find these to be the first listing on google.

Moderators, community managers, MVPs, please, listen to this story, these are the people you're putting in charge, and this is the first place strangers will come to see. If you want to alienate people with actual concerns this is the best way to do it.

Well, my first post was a gripe about the Grizzly DLC, as I made a thread to voice my opinion on it being a pay for weapon that changes how the game is played. As expected of the internet, I got some trolls, and a couple remarks of how i'm being "new" and bringing up "controversial subjects" to the fore must apparently make my opinions invalid?

2 weeks later, LBI had been turned away, and I found I liked some members of the community enough to stick around and converse more starhawk related topics, also. There are some posters there with which i play with often, and we had gotten to become familiar.

In normal social situations, conversations are not policed the way they are in those forums. If i were a friend, I would like to ask how was your day, and what other games could we play together? I really like a couple of those of the more promininent clan interaction from those threads, so I will seek them out there and try to initiate MP play in other games.

If I had content that was generally PG with even a smidgeon of innuendo, it would be reported. Sometimes I'd trip the PSN forum's profanity filters by mistake, and I'd get reported. Other times, I'd have an off color joke, I'd get reported, or even if the topic that's not the thread topic gets a comment that's not topic related I'd get reported.

When a thread is answered, I don't see why it's not ok to allow general conversation to continue, as THAT is what fosters community. Commeroderie and participation between members to interact in their environment where they feel most comfortable. Threads like those keep getting reported, locked, banned, moved, and cajoled by this one group into derailing a thread during legitimate questioning of a certain state.

There have been requests early on from certain threads that it not be trolled by certain people, when some tangents have made the thread go off course early on, and ultimately locked.

I have a friend that got banned for 2 weeks when one member of that most prominent clan cursed out my friend, completely bypassing the filter. My friend, got locked for 2 weeks, this other guy? 2 days.

And when I try to start an event, it was trolled right throughout it's existance by a particular community member, through the guise of an ALT. This same member was the one who cursed out my friend.

Furthermore, that character has used my face without my permission in a signature since, in a demeaning manner. Has consistantly used his ALT to bait, and troll reactions from members of this community, and has hosted some community driven tournaments without as much as a hassle, to which I must ask - What can't I do it?

Since I have come here, I have moved around the forums to other parts of it where there is much less activity, namely the RPG forums, and I find that the activity in SH was the best place for me to socialize about games I like or we may have in common. It is commonly suggested to me that I take any form of socialization to the off topic threads, where I'm meant to meet new people, but that is not my aim. I mean to talk to my friends, that I met in the starhawk forums.

Since I have roamed I have participated in certain descreet threads where they normally don't roam, and in one particular case, a certain comment from this MVP was enough to raise my creep alarm.

I have posted in countless other threads where I feel that my input would be more appreciated in a fresh tone and perspective, where after I'd post, there would be a direct retaliatory response to what I have said from these people.

They have yet to post here, I see. And should they read what I said they may not if they're smart. But it's apparent that they fear intelligence and an opposing point of view that they do not understand. It's a wonder that this thread is still alive even after what fleinn said. These kinds of threads normally get deleted or moved or something.

Edit: blacklisting removed

this is me helping
Message 30 of 82 (348 Views)