Jul 18 2012
By: Brndn000 First Son 19 posts

Which one should I buy?

2 replies 44 views Edited Jul 18, 2012
I have been looking at two things: Sony's Personal 3D viewer (hmz-t1) that's $800 or the Playstation 3D Display with the 24" SimulView display for $200. Yes, the prices automatically make me want to go to the Display, but I like how the Personal viewer is just for yourself. So if someone is watching tv in the same room, you can play your game without bothering them. But I'm looking for something that is really fun in 3D and I'd like to watch 3D movies. The family would wanna watch it in 3D but $80 3D glasses for the display... For the personal viewer you can't buy any additional ones so the family can't really enjoy the experience. But it doesn't even have to be for the family. Just something with good 3D, something that could be bought with a warranty, price is a big issue but if it's worth it then I'll buy it. Any thoughts on this? Anybody have and like these products? I just want something I can enjoy when my PS3 is fixed.
This is for Christmas so prices might vary at future times.
Message 1 of 3 (44 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11743 posts

Re: Which one should I buy?

Jul 18, 2012

Although the high-priced personal viewer experience sounds like it's a neat experience if you want your own gaming time while someone else is watching TV, it seems like the $200 display would be the better option for a number of reasons. Being of the old-school mindset where you turn on a TV for one process at a time, a simultaneous connectivity between multiple devices sounds like a bit too much is going on. If someone is watching TV and you're playing a game on the same TV in your "personal space," doesn't this affect things one way or the other? Can't you hear the TV, can't they hear the game, or can't you hear each other?

Personally I haven't the experience with either of these products, but based on your information it sounds as if the 24" monitor would be a nice gift for you and your family. You'd be able to share the 3D with the whole clan. You can each play or envision 3D gaming on the PlayStation 3. You can all enjoy 3D movie nights. Another benefit is, at least for the moment, the cost is the more inexpensive on this side. Movies and gaming for the whole family versus 3D for just one person... wouldn't Sony's monitor be the way to go?

Message 2 of 3 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
19 posts

Re: Which one should I buy?

Jul 18, 2012
But I only get one pair of glasses for the bundle and each pair of glasses is $80 dollars.

And the Personal Viewer isn't hooked up to the TV. The personal viewer is the TV. so you can hook it up to the Playstation without it interrupting others. You could just play away from people but the name is called a personal viewer so I might as well play around people. It also has headphones attached to it so you hear the game or whatever you're doing.

But I believe you're right. It is inexpensive to do the 24" display. But it's not that big if you think about it. You'd have to sit up a little close. It's ideal for college students with a dorm.
I'm just so torn. The personal viewer is like looking at a 150" movie screen from 12' away. Expensive, cool v.s. inexpensive, not as cool. But for the price, that's kind of what you'd expect.
Around Christmas time, the prices might drop even lower, fingers crossed.
Message 3 of 3 (40 Views)
0 Likes