MVP Support
6100 posts

Re: Which Sony game headset is a better upgrade?

[ Edited ]
Mar 10, 2014

I too have cancelled my purchase of the PLYR1's for now due to doing some research and finding out the Mic either goes out completely or Mic Volume input is extremely low (plus they are out of stock on the black's I wanted). I want a functional wireless headset at least, so I'll just wait for now.

I totally agree with Jim and thejtl here, we all know there better headsets on the market but as Jim said...

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

They are not the best headset, or headphone on the market, and I do not want the best option for sound quality - I want the best one that fits my needs.  This is where your arguments tend to come off the rails - you seem to think that your standard applies to everyone - it doesn't.

Having that as a staring point, people want convenience, quality, and performance, relative to cost.  Given those factors, the Golds are a great buy 

This ^^

This headset serves a purpose and fulfillment to many and many like it, saying the headset is bad is your opinion as others disagree and like how they sound  To them.

What is a bit upsetting is Murderstyle, you mentioned earlier I was marketing this Gold headset when in reality, what are you doing in this thread with your suggestion of headsets you're trying to sell that You like when the OP is merely asking if they should go for the Elites or Gold's (the Title, his posts after me and yours). What if the OP likes the PlayStation Headset (original) and just wants to upgrade to the newer ones to see if he likes them even more? You're pushing a bit harder than I am...

Message 41 of 50 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Mar 10, 2014
Well my points now aren't really directed at the OP and more but are more so directed at the thejtl now. When he says the Golds are the best headphone ever for gaming, he is flat out wrong and his opinion goes against even the reviews you linked when it comes to their weak points. He gets kudos and handclaps though while my posts get picked apart. I gaurentee that if we ran a test on positional cues with gunfire and footsteps, my setups would win every time. Even the Astro and Steelseries headsets would beat the Golds which are in the exact same market and he claims are inferior. It almost feels like he is an employee. Digital Trends said the headset lacks the detail of the higher end headsets (which he is downplaying) and Tech Radar says they lack range.

And like I said. I've had this exact same debate on the Xbox boards many times as well. Doesn't matter what the price is, whichever headset says "Official" is automatically deemed the headset to buy from loyal supporters of the platform.
Message 42 of 50 (144 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6100 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 10, 2014

Murderstyle75 wrote:
Well my points now aren't really directed at the OP and more but are more so directed at the thejtl now. When he says the Golds are the best headphone ever for gaming, he is flat out wrong and his opinion goes against even the reviews you linked when it comes to their weak points. He gets kudos and handclaps though while my posts get picked apart. I gaurentee that if we ran a test on positional cues with gunfire and footsteps, my setups would win every time. Even the Astro and Steelseries headsets would beat the Golds which are in the exact same market and he claims are inferior. It almost feels like he is an employee. Digital Trends said the headset lacks the detail of the higher end headsets (which he is downplaying) and Tech Radar says they lack range.

You mean this part?

I can say with a certain amount of expertise (25 years as an audio engineer, 30+ as a performing musician) that the Gold Wireless are the best all around set of headphones for gaming. Period. Others might have more features, some might do one thing or the other better, but overall, as a total package, the Golds were better than all. A great value, great sound, great gaming functionality. I play FPS almost exclusively right now and I will tell you that in head-to-head comparison between the mixamps, the DSS for the TB, and everything else, the VSS in the Golds more than holds its own. The directionality is most definitely there. To say it's not is flat out wrong.

Notice the bold? It's the best overall value of a headset package with decent surround sound that is still directional. That's how I perceive that statement. I hope you didn't think he was saying it's the best headset on the market over all?

There is not a headset on the market that is wireless, simple to setup, allows presets, has decent surround sound, and pretty good sound quality for $99 - that's what's called a great price/performance ratio If I've ever did see one. You see no value, that's your opinion, it's ok for others to disagree on your statement though as it's their opinion. We all hear things differently than others though and our perception of a value differentiates than others as well.....

Some prefer a true 7.1 speaker/receiver setup to get immersed in their game and find headphones/headset combos to be rubbish in trying to simulate surround or force tiny drivers in headsets for that "true" surround sound. My opinion is different and find that headsets provide an intimacy of sound a sound system can't provide. Does that mean my statement is true or the other guy who prefers sound systems? Nope. We just have our own opinion on the matter and hear things differently.

Message 43 of 50 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 10, 2014
Sonys VSS does not hold it's own compared to the Mixamp or DSS though and that is not opinion. He has also become biased against Astros products because he had a 1 in a million mic defect and wrote it off the first time I suggested trying other headsets and headphones with the mixamp itself. Meanwhile if you visit the support section of this message board, the complaints for these Sony products are through the roof. That's different though. Now for whatever reason, he seems to have incredible bias towards this Gold headset. The selections I mention will also last you 20+ years. Maybe even a lifetime. With that being said, where is the value in a $100 average sounding headset that might last a year or two? There are a lot of people out there who have spent more money buying and replacing Sony Wireless and Pulse Elites then my main setup costs to begin with. It's a disposable product that you can't even replace the ear pads when the cheap pleather starts to peel away.

Here's what happens to the ear pads from sweat and oil on the skin and the material used on the Golds is no different.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/663648/replacing-the-pleather-earpads-on-the-sony-wireless-7-1-headset-with...
Message 44 of 50 (131 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6100 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 10, 2014

And each person has their own opinion on what they feel is a good headset is what it still boils down to. 

Dulun18, I hope your questions were able to be answered in your posts earlier, apologies for derailing your thread a bit. 

Message 45 of 50 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8157 posts

Mar 10, 2014

EARBUDS ALL DAY!!!

Hey That Chris signature
Message 46 of 50 (113 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 10, 2014
And a lot of that really does boil down to marketing and every console headset company trying to make a Call of Duty instead of a masterpiece. Not sure if you have paid attention but these console exclusive headset products are not on the PC for very good reasons. That's because PC gamers are generally more informed and will not buy them. Console gamers on the other hand will buy anything with proper marketing.

And "Upgrade" shouldn't have ever been up for discussion since there are models made 20 and 30 years ago that outperform these things. If you know how to make a headphone, you do it right the first time. Especially when you are a company like Sony who has made good headphones for years. In another year or two, there will be yet another "Upgrade" for a similar price and packing similar features. Just like the Original Wireless and Elites, the Golds will be last years old technology. To be honest though? I bet a pair of Sennheiser HD414's developed in 1968 sound better. I would honestly bet money on it.
Message 47 of 50 (105 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6100 posts

Mar 10, 2014
Message 48 of 50 (104 Views)
Limit Breaker
22825 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 11, 2014

da1writer wrote:

And each person has their own opinion on what they feel is a good headset is what it still boils down to. 

Dulun18, I hope your questions were able to be answered in your posts earlier, apologies for derailing your thread a bit. 

it's alright.

a lot of good points were brought up.. very educational! Smiley Happy

but for me i think COMFORTABLE is what i'm looking for.. i need a headset for a totally different reason Smiley Wink....just want to cram in a few hours of gaming whenever i can when my family is sleeping  (around 12AM - 6AM) ..

but there are times when i stayed up all night without sleeping just playing.. so i need something that is still comfortable.. even after 4-6 hours + of gaming?..

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 49 of 50 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Mar 11, 2014

New video:

http://youtu.be/orLroUhkoL0

PSN: thejtl
XBL: theJTL71
www.jasontlewis.com
Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/thejasontlewis
Message 50 of 50 (132 Views)
0 Likes