Limit Breaker
22652 posts

Re: Which SONY game headset is a BETTER upgrade??

[ Edited ]
Mar 10, 2014

GraphiteGB wrote:
The very last run of the stereo Headset was sold out to a third party factory which buggered up the labeling on the boxes as they botched up art work...

This production run included Text from the Pulse headset box and Labeling that mirrored the pulse headset box art work...

Due to this and to avoid Law suits in USA SCEA Quickly pushed through the addon of the words "Elite edition" to the USA Pulse version...and tweated that they would start the pulse brand, But never did all the paper work is still registered under the old name, but like mud sticks joe blogs believed the Tweeks,  but there is nothing elite about it.. there is only one version with pulse functions... and Every SCEA site only lists one headset..  

Out side the USA  the brand Pulse does not exist either for the SCEA headsets and the GOLD headset out side USA  is called the Sony stereo headset... Gold labeling would result in EU countries claiming that the gold headset has less features than the Pulse so its not up to the gold standard. an they would not be able to use that branding...

SCEE never released the model 0080 in EU so the 0088 model is now the 0080 version in EU

vbfhg 

interesting.. it looks different..

f

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 31 of 50 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10134 posts

Re: Which Sony game headset is a better upgrade?

Mar 10, 2014
@Chipz_and_Cola

And this is one of the reasons why those reviews on page 1 are hard to go by. The game that was tested was Outlast and while the VSS may seem convincing, playing an online shooter where direction is critical, you can tell that the positional cues just aren't there. While this might still be a fun novelty headset, it doesn't have the kind of performance needed for competitive gaming. When you wear a good headset for online multiplayer, it almost feels like cheating because everything is so precise.
Message 32 of 50 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 10, 2014

OK, so I have been through the A40, A50, Beyer DT770 Pro, TB PX4, TB Xp510, TB PX22, Afterglow Dolbys, the Pulse Elites and..The Gold Wireless. All in the last 4 weeks.

I can say with a certain amount of expertise (25 years as an audio engineer, 30+ as a performing musician) that the Gold Wireless are the best all around set of headphones for gaming. Period. Others might have more features, some might do one thing or the other better, but overall, as a total package, the Golds were better than all. A great value, great sound, great gaming functionality. I play FPS almost exclusively right now and I will tell you that in head-to-head comparison between the mixamps, the DSS for the TB, and everything else, the VSS in the Golds more than holds its own. The directionality is most definitely there. To say it's not is flat out wrong.

Are they the best headphones I have? No. The best headphones I have are the Sennheiser HD 380 Pros, followed us by the Beyer DT770 Pros. But there's no easy way to use them with a gaming console, and almost no way to use them wirelessly. The Golds are definitely not as nice a set of headphones as either of those, but they are comfortable, they sound good, they have the flexibility gamers want, they're wireless, and they improve my gameplay more than any of the other sets I tried. That's the end of the story.

Murderstyle, we've been around on this in the past. I respect that you have an opinion here, but you're dead wrong about the Golds. That's all there is to it. You've found what you like. I've seen you shilling those Samson HPs and the mixamp on just about every thread on this board with has anything to do with HPs. I get it, you like your setup. But you're taking your criticism of the Golds too far.

I've made a couple videos that run down some of my thoughts about all the sets I've used. You can check them out here:

http://youtu.be/2Y0ietlIYiI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJjfb2-U2qA&feature=share&list=UUSqAtygCJCIdzWT6o7Ok87Q&index=2

I have a new video on the way where I'll discuss why I got rid of all the other gaming sets and kept the Golds...and took the left over $$ and bought an Xbone...:-)

PSN: thejtl
XBL: theJTL71
www.jasontlewis.com
Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/thejasontlewis
Message 33 of 50 (205 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10134 posts

Mar 10, 2014
@thejti

Here's the thing though. I'm not using the Samson SR850'a anymore. I'm switching back and forth between the AKG Q701's and a FiiO E11 and Astro Mixamp as well as the Sennheiser HD598's plugged directly into the mixamp. I recommend the Samsons because they cost $40 and have a sound signature comparable to the BeyerDT990 Premiums and a bit from the Q701's mixed in as well. After about 100 hours of burn in, they sound even better yet. They improve even more with the AKG K240 ear pads since it frees up more isolation for even better fidelity. Since they are 32 Ohms, you don't need any additional amping besides the Astro Mixamp.

And using regular cans on the console really is an easy task and you would connect them the exact same way you would the Astro A40's with the only difference being the use of Astros included Y adapter and a seperate mic like the Antlion ModMic, Moov mic, Zalman ZM-Mic1 or a few of the mics sold on www.dx.com. If you want wireless, just look for the wireless mixamp.

Now you seem to have put a lot of time and effort into this with one serious problem. Every headset you compare is a closed back gaming headset. Even your Beyers and Senns are closed back. You do not want this for gaming. Now with all your audio experience, you should already know that there is a huge difference in fidelity, soundstage and imaging between an open an closed headphone. This is why true high quality gaming headsets like the Sennheiser PC360's and Audio Technica ATH-ADG1 are open back headsets and like the headphones I use, have precise positional cues that you can't get from any console gaming headset since every last one of them is just a pair of speakers crammed in hard closed plastic. The specific reason for closed headphones is for heavy bass or isolation so you either do not disturb others or are a musician or DJ who uses them in loud environments and needs to block outside noise. But of course you should already know this. You don't want to trap the audio into your headphones. You want them to breathe.

Now if the idea of reference headphones and a mod mic turns you off even with as easy as it is to set up, these two gaming headsets plug into the mixamp just fine with no seperate mic to attach. The only difference is, they are not packed in a box with letters on the box marketing them towards console gaming. Even in stereo. Reference headphones and open back gaming headsets outperform the Golds and their VSS because they have the soundstage and imaging that the Golds just do not have and try to make up for it using gimmicky effects.
Message 34 of 50 (195 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1380 posts

Mar 10, 2014

THE Gold wireless headsets are great. I have a big head too, and somewhat big ears and they fit inside the cups. It isn't heavy either. Folds and comfortable to wear in extended periods of time. The only diff from the Pulse is the rumble which is not a big deal to me. $50 cheaper too. 

Message 35 of 50 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6877 posts

Mar 10, 2014

xBuTcHeRx wrote:

The only diff from the Pulse is the rumble which is not a big deal to me. $50 cheaper too. 

Thats so incorrect I can't let that go... lol

The pulse has More Presets for the EQ  on the headset not just 1.

The pulse allows External audio to be added to the USB dongle via 3.5mm jack allowing non USB audio feeds aka any analogue stereo audio. Making the Device work with TV audio out not just console and many other devices..

The pulse has an ultra fragile USB dongle... you need to be realy care full with it...  

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester
I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

View forum in Full Desktop Power or Mobile Mode

Message 36 of 50 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 10, 2014

You and I will have to just agree to disagree then. My ears tell me something different. 

I don't use open-backed HPs for a couple reasons: 1. You can't use them to record. Too much sound bleed to be picked up by mics. 2. I've never come across a pair that I really liked at all. The sound has always been too diffuse for my tastes. 

Gimmicky or not, (and they are not, IMHO) the Golds sound really good and do a great job at simulating a surround effect. And you have to remember that that's all this is in any set of binaural headphones. None of these headphones actually  create real surround sound, not unless they have 6 or 8 speakers. Any set of headphones that has two drivers and creates a surround effect is using "gimmicky effects" to achieve that goal. It's all being done with software, not hardware.

PSN: thejtl
XBL: theJTL71
www.jasontlewis.com
Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/thejasontlewis
Message 37 of 50 (175 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Mar 10, 2014

thejtl wrote:

You and I will have to just agree to disagree then. My ears tell me something different. 

I don't use open-backed HPs for a couple reasons: 1. You can't use them to record. Too much sound bleed to be picked up by mics. 2. I've never come across a pair that I really liked at all. The sound has always been too diffuse for my tastes. 

Gimmicky or not, (and they are not, IMHO) the Golds sound really good and do a great job at simulating a surround effect. And you have to remember that that's all this is in any set of binaural headphones. None of these headphones actually  create real surround sound, not unless they have 6 or 8 speakers. Any set of headphones that has two drivers and creates a surround effect is using "gimmicky effects" to achieve that goal. It's all being done with software, not hardware.

applause

Grindhead_Jim

Message 38 of 50 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10134 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 10, 2014
@thejtl

It's only all effects though if you have low grade headphones to begin with. Otherwise there would be no such thing as a soundstage. Simulated Surround Sound just enhances this. Sony is also using inferior technology that simulates a 7.1 mix from a two channel source. It's not much different then what Dolby was doing in the 1980's with the original Pro-Logic. When it comes to simulated Surround Sound, Dolby Headphone is the industry standard which is simulating 7.1 from a 5.1 Dolby Digital source. Hopefully one day this is replaced by DTS 11.1 Headphone X but in the meantime, Pro-Logic IIx (Dolby Headphone) is where it's at. The only reason Sony isn't doing this is because they don't want to pay for the licensing. Even worse, there is no justification for the cost of the Golds because the Surround Sound is happening from within the console itself. You didn't pay for any kind of surround sound decoder. The marketing on the box sure makes you think so though.

Now you say you don't like open headphones. I'm just convinced you have not heard the right pair since many open headphones focus mostly on ear shattering highs and good mids while closed headphones are generally more bassy. But if closed headphones really are your thing, I suggest looking into the PC360's closed counterpart, the Sennheiser PC 350's. Same goes for the Audio Technica ATH AG1 which is the closed version of the ADG1's. The best closed gaming headset on the market is the Beyerdynamic MMX300. It might be pricy but since you know about Beyerdynamic, you know it will last you a lifetime unlike these crappy console headsets that you throw away in a year or two. You say you tried your DT770's but it's pretty apparent you plugged a high impede headphone directly into the mixamp.

Now with any one of my setups, I have precise accuracy. I know if a gunshot happened happened 15 feet from my 6 or 25 feet from my 3 on a second story balcony. Something that is very generalized with the Golds and even the positive reviews, writer linked on the first page say this. I also think you gave the A40's less credit then they deserve because you are comparing them out of the box without any burn in time. I had a chance to use the Golds last weekend when I went over a friends house and really don't understand the hype. After showing him some of my setups, he is since returned them.

And even if we don't see eye to eye, I certainly enjoy a good debate. Most of the time, the responses consist of flaming and immaturity. I don't mean any offence when I say that on this board, you are going to win your share of likes and handclap pictures because you are sticking up for the Playstation product even if it is the equivalent of buying a Mexican Squier Stratocaster from Guitar Center or a First Act from Toys R Us. I used to get similar flak on the Xbox boards when my posts didn't positively reflect their Official headset at the time, the Tritton Warheads. I'm sure they have moved onto something else though just like Sony gamers moved on from the Pulse being the greatest thing on gods green earth to the Golds being the holy grail.

Now before I conclude this, I would like for you or anybody else who thinks these headsets are so incredible to go on the Playstation store and view the Destiny Vidoc2. Please tell me why Bungie is using Sony Studio cans to show off Destiny in the video and not some "gamer" headset that's supposed to be specialized and so amazing for video games?
Message 39 of 50 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Mar 10, 2014

Murderstyle75 wrote:
@thejtl

Now before I conclude this, I would like for you or anybody else who thinks these headsets are so incredible to go on the Playstation store and view the Destiny Vidoc2. Please tell me why Bungie is using Sony Studio cans to show off Destiny in the video and not some "gamer" headset that's supposed to be specialized and so amazing for video games?

Simple: they are professionals designing a game, not playing it. Different application.  

Not everyone has those professional standards.  I own a pair of the headphones they use in that vidoc, the MDR-7506's.  I have used them in studio situations, as well as home use, for over a decade.  They are amazing cans.  I can say that the Golds are not of the same quality, but offer a freq range that is acceptable to my ears, relative to the cost and convenience.  They are not the best headset, or headphone on the market, and I do not want the best option for sound quality - I want the best one that fits my needs.  This is where your arguments tend to come off the rails - you seem to think that your standard applies to everyone - it doesn't.

I think that, for wired setups, your advice is beyond solid - especially when you account for folks that do not like open setups, as you did above.  However, in order to get something many people value incredibly highly - a wireless connection - you have to be willing to sacrifice some things, as we can agree that no wireless setup is going to ever trump a wired one.

Having that as a starting point, people want convenience, quality, and performance, relative to cost.  Given those factors, the Golds are a great buy, and I won't back down from that.  If someone says, "Hey, I want the best headset setup, and I don't care if it's wireless or not," obviously, I'm going to point them in the direction of a pair of studio cans with a splitter/separate mic, as well as a DSS and/or MixAmp.   As for wireless, before you bring up the PLYR1's, I have also heard rumblings regarding poor mic quality on them, which is why I backed off of getting them right away, as well as the high possibility of a newer version coming out soon.

If anyone here is saying that the Golds are the best headset on the market, period, point me in their direction - I'll be happy to correct them.  However, for the price (relative to the market they are in), the performance is quite good, especially after a burn-in.  As long as people understand the difference, I think there's nothing wrong with making an educated decision, especially in an oversaturated, bloated gaming headset market, which anoints flash and buzzwords over quality.  

Bottom line, sir: no one here is saying that you aren't right - just that the options you champion aren't right for everyone - and, for that matter, neither are the Golds.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

Grindhead_Jim

Message 40 of 50 (174 Views)