Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Keyblade Wielder
9939 posts

Re: Which SONY game headset is a BETTER upgrade??

Mar 9, 2014
At the very minimum, I would get the Skullcandy PLYR1's

Now I've read into Digital Trends Pulse Elite review before and it's pretty apparent that they don't know a lot of what they are talking about. The funny thing is, the thing they were really off on was their opinion on surround sound technology. While they were right to call Sonys VSS, underwhelming, it's still clear that they have little understanding of it.

Now what would be nice would be to see some reviews from sites that actually specialize in audio instead of these tech sites where people only have general knowledge.

Your best bang for under $100 would be some lower impedance studio reference headphones like the Samson SR850's paired with a headset buddy adapter and separate mic. The soundstage is going to be spacious enough that you won't even need the VSS. The SR850's cost $40 to $50 and has the sound signature of the Beyerdynamic DT990's which cost $360 on Amazon.
Message 11 of 50 (424 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4775 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 9, 2014

The thing is, dulun18 isn't looking at other headsets, he is looking at the Elites and Gold's. Some like the simplicity of the headset as you plug in a usb adapter and you're pretty much done - No wires or setup needed and provides excellent sound to many.

Some like the game specific profile's from developers for these headsets like Second Son which will have a profile soon (The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, and GTA V came before) which adds value to these owners.

And while you disagree, some actually like how the headset sounds especially without the VSS these are an excellent stereo headset (without the VSS the low end actually comes out more fully as with the other audio spectrum) . I can also vouch that while the VSS surround is not as open or the range as good as Dolby (or CMSS3D) , at least the Gold's improved what the original and Elites lacked, a better realization of directional surround finally. The surround and sound quality is decent enough for many.

Not everyone is an audiophile and doesn't have to be, I use to Herald Cowon as the best MP3 maker in the world (which they are) but convenience eventually came to play and I entirely like others got a smart phone that is decent enough. I use to build and sunk tons of money into gaming desktops and now find my PS3 and PS4 enough for my gaming needs and simply have a decent laptop that is convenient enough due to portability with my kids. Heck we could argue why do consumers use the easily simple iPhone when Android devices provides a more customizable experience but I just answered my question.

What does that last paragraph have to do with this? Convenience. Simplicity.

Some Prefer a simple setup that doesn't require wires, more so everyone is mostly looking for wireless headsets due to their convenience - I often chat with my friends on PS4 around my house with my headset because of my kids again, so the SR850 wouldn't work for me or others as we prefer a fully wireless headset for our own particular needs.

In regards to setup, the Gold's (and Elites) just requires to plug in a usb adapter and you're done - audio comes out without needing to fumble with wires, base stations, or the settings menu (you may need change to All Audio in the sound settings but that's it). The Gold's (and Elites) provide the simplest setup imaginable , has no wires whatsoever, which many love.

All in all some like having the official PlayStation headset overall and they are pretty good, especially to the normal everyday consumer. Despite not being the most expensive headset available or the best headset an audiophile will love (like yourself), the PlayStation Gold Headset (and Elites) provide an excellent value to many, simple no wires setup, and sound pretty great already to many. 

Keep in mind, this thread isn't about looking for a PS3 headset, dulun18 is trying to choose between the Elites and Gold's. That's why I went about this differently than you...

Message 12 of 50 (404 Views)
Fender Bender
3873 posts

Mar 9, 2014

dulun18 wrote:

what's the average time people usually start to feel pain when wearing these things?/

1-2 hours??

Pain none, they started to ich badly after 7 hours wearing them...

PLEX APP for PS3 and PS4... free version coming soon...
NO NEED For DLNA...
Message 13 of 50 (388 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9939 posts

Mar 9, 2014
It's certainly not about being an audiophile though and a person doesn't have to be one to not want to settle for a product like this since $100 is a lot of money for what you are getting. It seems you are saying that as long as you aren't an audiophile, it's ok to overpay. There is no value here. Only fancy marketing terms and features to fool the general consumer into believing the hype behind the price. The surround sound processing doesn't even come from anything you are paying for since it's all done from within the console itself. They are charging you for it though as if you actually bought an external sound card. This VSS could also work with any headphone if only Sony allowed it.

Maybe if these were $50 instead of $100 like they should be, I wouldn't condemn them. But as long as Sony, Turtle Beach, etc continues to sell these things at double to quadruple the cost of their real value, I'm going to step in. It's just a good thing these companies have not yet expanded to "Gamer" televisions using sub standard HD resolutions with "Game Specific" marketed video profiles at a cost comparable to an entry level 1080p set. There is nothing special about these game specific audio profiles and it's nothing more then marketing.

And I understand people like convenience. It's still however no reason to overpay and as long as people continue to accept this, it's only going to get worse.
Message 14 of 50 (387 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4775 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 9, 2014

I also could say I believe people over pay on Apple products, especially the IPhone and IPad when Android Tablets and phones (rooted and Voodoo audio enhanced) provide better customizability and power, same goes for in the ~$800 laptops which trump Apples laptops in regards to power. 

But you know what, they don't care. Apple's products are simple, easy to use with settings really not needed to be fiddled with, developers make more items exclusively for them, and they like them as it provides what they want out of them. Why would anyone get a console? PC's are more powerful and software it's infinitely cheaper in the long run, Stream sales are even way less than what even Sony or Microsoft could do. So why do people buy consoles again? They are affordable from the start, convenience of couch gaming while just putting the disc in and play, no need to fiddle with graphics settings, and exclusives provided by developers.

So we have these PlayStation Gold (and elite) Headsets. While there are better headsets out there, they are either expensive, are not wireless, require an amp or base setup with optical wires, and require a bit of setting up, or may end up with a dud you thought was great until compared to another (found the clarity from my $99 Gold's were much better than my $300 A50's). Or like many, they can buy the Gold's (or elites), plug the usb adapter in and they're done (with an adjustment to All Audio in the sound settings), and they are ready to go and sound pretty great. They are comfortable, surround is decent, sound quality is great to many people, sound profiles by developers provide a great potential value, and despite marketing or not, you even admitted to never even buying a pair because you are happy with your setup.

That's fine, everyone has their own opinion and likes or dislikes but I will not try to force or suggest a headset over something they are looking at already. This thread, the user is looking at getting the Elites or Gold's... Not an Astro Mixamp, not the Plyr1's, not the wired SR850's. The SR850's would be worthless to me as a person who prefers wireless as I chat with my buddies online and move around my house often due to playing with my kids downstairs. Not everyone is looking for a complicated or wired setup for their audio need and that's not what this thread is even about, correct? 

I've owned both the Elites and Gold's , and A40's, A50's, DSS (w/p11 and px21), Mixamp 2013, TB x41, xp500, and various other headsets doesn't make me better than you audio wise as do others like yourself. It is personal preference in what someone likes in a headset, if someone likes the PlayStation Gold's or the Steel series, it's they're personal hearing and choice why they like them. What you and me hear audio wise may be totally different and others are the same way. While you don't see value in grabbing a gaming headset or the PlayStation Gold (or elites here), whose to say others feel differently than you or me here? Am I wrong, or you wrong, or others, or could it be down to preference and hearing alone? Just something to think about, not saying your opinion is invalid...

Message 15 of 50 (384 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9939 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 9, 2014
And there's your problem. You are comparing them to every other "Gamer" headset out there. It's a marketing scam and you guys are so accepting of it.

We're not talking about Apple here. We're talking about Sony who makes some of the best headphones in the world in every price range. These Golds are not affordable, high quality Sony headsets either made by or are inspired by Sony Japan. These are low fidelity gamer cans made from a concept similar to that of Turtle Beach. They probably even hired a former Turtle Beach employee to make these. Now if this is the route they must go, they should at least hire somebody who actually knows how to design headphones. The cons from the two reviews you linked could have been easily corrected with an open or semi-open design vs a closed one. It wouldn't have cost any extra money either. Just somebody who knows how to make headphones and not just stick speakers in closed hard plastic. It's sad to think a headphone designed in 1968 (HD404) can outperform these. If these are the Gold headphones, I would sure hate to see a bronze.

Now on the PS3, you can't go wireless except with the mixamp 5.8. But on the PS4, you can go wireless to the DualShock for about $60 total, nothing plugged into the console itself so you don't lose some silly dongle, and about three times the audio quality. No amp required since it's all about the headphones impedance. Not their cost.

Your intentions don't really seem to be to give the guy the best advice. Your intentions seem to be to promote Sonys official product, every chance you get. While he asked about the Pulse and Golds, I can show you many PM's from people thanking me for talking then out of these. PM's from people who created threads just like this one. Of course they only asked about the Elites and or Golds. Guess I should have told them to just buy those and settle in the name of Sony.
Message 16 of 50 (373 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4775 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 9, 2014

I'm not trying to market anything and/or could be said of you with your suggestions, he asked if he should get the Gold's or the Elites since he came from the originals, it's in the Title of the thread for crying out loud. The user is looking between those two and I'm giving insight and not trying to sell him something else.

I personally not going to walk around with my controller just so I can have a semi-wireless stereo headset setup. I want a wireless, no cords setup like others. So the SR850's are still worthless to me, especially with me also wanting some sort of surround and obviously I others would need to buy a Mic.

Frankly if this was a different thread talking about someone wanting a headset and not the ones from PlayStation, with no cost in mind, I would do like the other threads I've been a part of and suggest the Plyr1's or Mixamp combo like you've been doing...

You're taking this thread into a whole different direction...

It's like talking about oranges and then we divert to apples, despite both being a fruit was it necessary to bring it up...

Message 17 of 50 (366 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9939 posts

Mar 9, 2014
And that's you. That's not everybody though. But if somebody has a problem with that and really wants to settle, they should settle for no lower then the PLYR1's which while being closed back, is the best sounding "Gaming" headset one will find unless buying Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic or Audio Technica for a lot more money. Even in that league though, I recommend headphones over headsets.

All the thread title shows me is the guy doesn't know much about his options or quality. What he deserves is the information I wish I had a couple years ago when I made a thread titled Turtle Beach or Astro. Information I did not have until after I wasted my money on underperforming headphones from posts that were so convincing because of user reviews and general tech site reviews. I just thank god I didn't go with one of the top recommendations which were the muddy A50's or tinny XP500's. While I did waste my money on the A40's not all was lost because I still got the mixamp. Unfortunately though, I had spend an extra $15 on the Y adapter they comes with the standalone mixamp which made my total loss, $165. You can add $60 to that price if you want to include my previous headset which I bought due to gamers telling me how incredible they were.
Message 18 of 50 (353 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4775 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 9, 2014

Murderstyle75 wrote:
And that's you. That's not everybody though. But if somebody has a problem with that and really wants to settle, they should settle for no lower then the PLYR1's which while being closed back, is the best sounding "Gaming" headset one will find unless buying Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic or Audio Technica for a lot more money. Even in that league though, I recommend headphones over headsets.

All the thread title shows me is the guy doesn't know much about his options or quality. What he deserves is the information I wish I had a couple years ago when I made a thread titled Turtle Beach or Astro. Information I did not have until after I wasted my money on underperforming headphones from posts that were so convincing because of user reviews and general tech site reviews. I just thank god I didn't go with one of the top recommendations which were the muddy A50's or tinny XP500's. While I did waste my money on the A40's not all was lost because I still got the mixamp. Unfortunately though, I had spend an extra $15 on the Y adapter they comes with the standalone mixamp which made my total loss, $165. You can add $60 to that price if you want to include my previous headset which I bought due to gamers telling me how incredible they were.

And you'd be right to suggest headsets to others who are looking for them. You've seen my other threads where I suggest the Plyr1 or Mixamp (I learned the hard way that the A50's weren't worth it), so nothing has changed with me and in all honesty we have similar tastes/same page just not entirely. I'm actually not even arguing with you that better headsets are out there, I hope you understand that.

What I think about is what someone is looking at though, this is where our views differ. For instance what about price/performance ratio and context thereof? Let's say the OP can only afford a $100 headset but wants surround, comfort, ease of use, and wireless. Have my posts earlier in this thread tried to reflect this in mind? You can actually find the Elites for less than $100 if you looked and obviously the Gold's are $100, so that's how approached this thread. He doesn't specify of course but it's something I tried to keep in mind.

Is there better headsets out there? Yes. It's how I presented that one post above - just because there is something better out there doesn't mean someone can afford it. I understand where you are coming from and hear me out, I also have suggested very affordable SR850's in combination with the [sadly, now discounted] DSS to present a $100 headset if they can't fork out for a Mixamp. I just don't anymore because at times I'm told later they were looking for a wireless solution.... who knew.

I did sell my A50's for the sole plan on buying the Plyr1's for deeper comparison purposes. It's just something I like to do, so best not to try to understand the reasoning (like someone who compares options rotated in their car to tweak and see). 

Just want you to know I'm not trying to go against you here (even though it seems like it), I'm merely trying stay in the context of the thread and it's title thereof....

Message 19 of 50 (349 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
16353 posts

Mar 9, 2014

da1writer wrote:
Golds are quite comfortable for a while and don't clamp as much like the old headsets. The Elites start causing a headache for me within a few hours of gameplay when it comes to the bass impacts. Again, this was my experience...

@da1writer 

I kudo your previous post.  Thank you for the information provided in that post

what's the average time of wearing the Gold headset before you start to few pain? 

the current pulse headset i have i. it's around 1-3 hours..  sometimes i have the weekend off so i just play for 7-8 hours straight.. even after a full charge.. i started to feel pain long before the battery ran out..

also i heard that the Gold can be usse with the vita? i'm thinking of getting the vita this year..  .. what about psp?

To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
Forum Survival Tips for New Members
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN + The Interview****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 20 of 50 (252 Views)
0 Likes