Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 04 2013
By: BengalPrince First Son 2 posts

Which PS3 Do I Buy?

10 replies 234 views Edited Jan 4, 2013
I picked up one of the new Uncharted 3 Ps3 bundles, It came with the new super slim version of the ps3 with the slide on tray. I don't like it at all, fan is loud and noisy, and when the disc spins you can hear it just like the PS2. I'm going to return it tomorrow and pick up one of the older PS3's. I'm not sure which one to buy. I'm going to buy a PRE OWNED one, can someone point out the best one that has the least problems. I also have a ton of PS2 games in my closet. Don't know what to do with them. Going to buy them from here: http://www.ebgames.ca/browse/playstation-3/systems?nav=1391-6f
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (234 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Your kinda Stuck in the middle Dude

Jan 4, 2013

The old ps3 has less space (I dont know if this will happen to you too) But that old ps3 has less space and a loud fan Well I guess mine does But I dont know much about the newest one 

:smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
356 posts

Re: Which PS3 Do I Buy?

Jan 4, 2013

stand the new ps3 up and its whisper quiet.

One day at a time babe....
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
29 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

Pros and cons for each current model. EDIT: and the original model, just for fun

Slim

Pro

• Better Fan (will run cooler)
  • Motorized (Slot loading) Disc Drive

Cons

• Less Drive space
  • Louder

Super Slim

Pro

• More Hard Drive Space
  • Smaller Footprint

Cons

• Runs Hotter
  • "Clunky" plastic mechanical disk drive cover

Original

Pro

• Plays PS2 Games
  • 4 USB Ports on the front

Cons

• No longer Manufactured (has to be bought used)
  • Smaller Storage Capacity (though can be upgraded)
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (212 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 4, 2013

But on the instructions it comes with it warns you to not put it up straight. Always leave it horiztonal.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
29 posts

Jan 4, 2013

BengalPrince wrote:

But on the instructions it comes with it warns you to not put it up straight. Always leave it horiztonal.

I think it would say: do not move it while it's running and / or only put it upright with the stand attatched.

Mind you, I got the original slim (can't stand clunky plastic), so I don't know.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
356 posts

Jan 4, 2013

buy the stand problem solved

One day at a time babe....
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (190 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15440 posts

Jan 4, 2013

Posting some inaccurate information, I see. I'll try to fix them for ya....

Attacks-On-Yaks wrote:

Pros and cons for each current model. EDIT: and the original model, just for fun

Slim

Pro

• Motorized (Slot loading) Disc Drive Most people would argue that a motorizedl disc drive would be a con because if a disc gets stuck in the PS3... the only chance at getting it out would be opening the PS3.

Cons

• Less Drive space Debatable because you can ALWAYS upgrade the hdd, you can now get up to 1TB for about $100
  • Louder Wrong.

Super Slim  I just got one for Christmas so lets see.....

Pro

• More Hard Drive Space 
  • Smaller Footprint

Cons

• Runs Hotter Where did you learn this? It actually runs quite a bit cooler than the 2500 series Slim, if I had to guess, its exhausted hot is is probably 20*F cooler
  • "Clunky" plastic mechanical disk drive cover "Clunky" would be a matter of opinion and most people would see it as a Pro because you have no possibility of getting a disc stuck since it uses a very simple latch and spring design, and it would make it easy to clean the lens if you're experiencing disc read issues.

Original

Pro

• Plays PS2 Games Debatable argument.... the percentage of people who would actually USE the B/C capability of the fatties is quite small (I have 2 B/C PS3's and I never used the B/C in my PS3s)
  • 4 USB Ports on the front Not an issue because there are plenty of powered USB hubs for dirt cheap, im talking like $5 cheap.

Cons

• No longer Manufactured (has to be bought used) Seeing as its the most unreliable model, its a godsend... its only a matter of time that people who still have working Fatties will get the YLOD, myself included, except I packed up my 60Gb a few weeks ago when I got a new Super Slim.
  • Smaller Storage Capacity (though can be upgraded) Again, not an issue with its upgradablity so you shouldn't have even mentioned it, regardless if it "just for fun"

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (180 Views)
Monster Hunter
29 posts

Jan 4, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Posting some inaccurate information, I see. I'll try to fix them for ya....

Attacks-On-Yaks wrote:

Slim

Pro

• Motorized (Slot loading) Disc Drive Most people would argue that a motorizedl disc drive would be a con because if a disc gets stuck in the PS3... the only chance at getting it out would be opening the PS3. -A valid point, but how often does this happen?

Cons

• Less Drive space Debatable because you can ALWAYS upgrade the hdd, you can now get up to 1TB for about $100 - I meant out of the box, not the capacity for an upgrade
  • Louder Wrong. -Bigger, heavier fans have a tendancy to be louder. Mind you, I didn't take the optical drive into consideration

Super Slim  I just got one for Christmas so lets see.....

Pro

• More Hard Drive Space 
  • Smaller Footprint

Cons

• Runs Hotter Where did you learn this? It actually runs quite a bit cooler than the 2500 series Slim, if I had to guess, its exhausted hot is is probably 20*F cooler -Less room in the case, less room for fans = hotter device (theoretically).
  • "Clunky" plastic mechanical disk drive cover "Clunky" would be a matter of opinion and most people would see it as a Pro because you have no possibility of getting a disc stuck since it uses a very simple latch and spring design, and it would make it easy to clean the lens if you're experiencing disc read issues. -Multiple reviewers of the super slim mentionned the "Clunky" feeling of the new tray

Original

Pro

• Plays PS2 Games Debatable argument.... the percentage of people who would actually USE the B/C capability of the fatties is quite small (I have 2 B/C PS3's and I never used the B/C in my PS3s) -It's still a pro, since the feature is there.
  • 4 USB Ports on the front Not an issue because there are plenty of powered USB hubs for dirt cheap, im talking like $5 cheap. - Like I said, it's not what you can add, it's whats out of the box.

Cons

• No longer Manufactured (has to be bought used) Seeing as its the most unreliable model, its a godsend... its only a matter of time that people who still have working Fatties will get the YLOD, myself included, except I packed up my 60Gb a few weeks ago when I got a new Super Slim.
  • Smaller Storage Capacity (though can be upgraded) Again, not an issue with its upgradablity so you shouldn't have even mentioned it, regardless if it "just for fun" -The point is, It will probably HAVE to be upgraded.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 4, 2013
If you want a new Slim, I suggest you go to Best Buy. They are clearing out their 160GB ones for $230.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+PlayStation+3+(160GB)/3061302.p?id=1218379530906&skuId=3061302
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (153 Views)
0 Likes