Jul 25 2014
By: Gamefreak_09 Uncharted Territory 1984 posts

Which Adventurer is more Adventurous?

[ Edited ]
16 replies 370 views Edited Jul 28, 2014

Now I've been thinking: What makes the adventurer an adventurer?

Is it the Stylish clothing? Maybe its the danger... or perhaps the unlucky tendencies to be lucky in one way or another.

One thing is for sure, it isn't so simple to measure up one adventurer to another. Each adventurer is faced with different situations that call for different levels of courage, willpower, and risks. Heck, Scooby Doo and Shaggy Rogers can be brave if the risks are right.

The bigger question may actually be "CAN we measure them up each other based on their past actions?"

Well that is where I'd like to start a discussion on this to see if we can even compare these two:

Jak [and Daxter?]                                                          

Jak ii.PNG

An adventurer who gains powers and tools  of destruction as he quests toward his goals.

Things to Think about: 

Spoiler

Does the self-empowering aspect of his adventuring compromise whether or not he is able to show true courage and an adventurous attitude? Its possible he is just trying to go with the punches without worries of possible consequences because of all the goodies he gets along the way. He doesn't necessarily expect these bonuses along the way, he appears to just come across them. Greed for power is somewhat minor in this character. Now I understand Jak enjoys guns and getting new powers, but he needs theguns and powers to get around (powers especially). Unlike Nathan Drake, he saves the world  without an expectancy of a reward.   

vs 

nathan drake

An adventurer who casually faces seemingly impossible odds not knowing if there will be  a way out (sometimes literal when it comes to raiding a tomb).

Things to think about: 

Spoiler
Does his willingness to face danger make him more  reckless than adventurous? After all while Nathan may have various debts and/or favors, most of his quests are for money. Although he does end up saving the day (in one way or another) and being responsible, does his somewhat greedy initial intentions compromise whether or not he is as adventurous as Jak? What may need to be debated is if being driven by both willpower and greed puts him at a disadvantage in this comparison of advenurousity. If you ask me, greed is a kind of Willpowerbut not the same as willpower itself. 

Example (concerning unique willpower): Scooby Doo gaining courage because of a scooby snack versus scooby doo gaining courage because of the well being of a friend.

Both are asisted by luck.

Be sure to not compare their adventures, but the way they handle adventures and maybe how they get into them. This is partly the reason why I chose to compare Jak with Nathan drake rather than with Indianna Jones. Comparing a video game character to a movie character didn't look quite right.

**Note: Due to my attempts to make this with columns, I ran into trouble and the HTML got all screwed up. If you notice anything kinda weird like the area next to "Kind" in the spoiler bubble next to nathan drake, then please pardon them. I worked all day on this acursed thread and I'm kind of done messing with the OP, well format wise anyway

Also: I purposely mispelled "Asisted" because it "*bleep*"s it for some reason.**

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 1 of 17 (370 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

Re: Which Adventurer is more Adventurous?

Jul 25, 2014

Aparently the "preview" option doesn't work very well. I used it to set up the columns, I am fixing it right now.

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 2 of 17 (368 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

Jul 25, 2014

OKAY ALL DONE. Sorry for the very very bad attempt at trying to use columns without the column option (that doesn't appear to be available).

please do leave replies!

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 3 of 17 (315 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1063 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 25, 2014

When i think of an adventurer, a picture of the desert, jungle,  and ancient relics come to mind. I think those best fit Drake (in my opinion) since he does whatever he can to adapt to his surrounding and excape from danger in a harsh biome (desert in U3). Overall, I think an adventurer is someone who doesnt give up on what he is doing, even considering all the odds, and has the ability to not only have strength as a tool, but intelligence (Uncharted series has various puzzles) and adaptibility to his surroundings. Smiley Happy

Very well done post by the way!

Message 4 of 17 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

Jul 25, 2014

BlueMedz wrote:

When i think of an adventurer, a picture of the desert, jungle,  and ancient relics come to mind. I think those best fit Drake (in my opinion) since he does whatever he can to adapt to his surrounding and excape from danger in a harsh biome (desert in U3). Overall, I think an adventurer is someone who doesnt give up on what he is doing, even considering all the odds, and has the ability to not only have strength as a tool, but intelligence (Uncharted series has various puzzles) and adaptibility to his surroundings. Smiley Happy

Very well done post by the way!

Willpower eh? yeah it very much does sound like Nathan Drake. From Jak's attitude I would say he doesn't struggle very much.

Then again what IS an adventure but an experience that not only tests one's willpower, but also develops one's character? Character development can be greatly increased when characters are placed with higher responsibilities. I feel Jak excells in this area.

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 5 of 17 (276 Views)
Last Guardian
11733 posts

Jul 25, 2014

The problem here with your comparison is... I'm not sure I'd call either one of these characters an "adventurer." Jak is not someone whose goals are specifically to explore the great unknown. Him and Daxter just happened to unluckily bump into trouble one day, which winds up transforming Daxter into the furry critter he's become. Due to this incident, he's placed on a quest toward curing his friend. Along the way the story develops and ultimately even more unfortunate things happen (including Jak getting his own dose of Dark Eco powers).

Nathan Drake, on the other hand, isn't someone who's really looking for what's out there. He's into old relics. And where he goes trouble also happens to either be there or convinces him to swipe these rare artifacts for their own benefit. He's a victim of precarious scenarios with his vast knowledge of these antiquities. While he's kind of a greedy guy in his own ways, Nathan's consideration for the preservation of these precious items is what makes the viewer sort of look the other way. Then again, there is also the fact that originally Nathan was seeking out his ancestry from the start.

Message 6 of 17 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
65 posts

Jul 25, 2014

Best topic I've ever seen on this forum.

Message 7 of 17 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7954 posts

Jul 25, 2014
Nathan Drake vs Jakk?

Nathan would adventure circles around Jakk...

If Nathan Drake and Lara Croft had offspring, it's adventures would be so epically glorious that it would literally melt your thought process' right out of your ears...
Hey That Chris signature
Message 8 of 17 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Jul 25, 2014

Gamefreak, make more of these threads. Great idea here!

I would say Nathan Drake, more because his adventures have more 'close calls' than Jak and Daxter, in my opinion.

Message 9 of 17 (228 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1160 posts

Jul 25, 2014
Drake 4 dayz

Just got a PS3! Add me for some online action
Message 10 of 17 (226 Views)
0 Likes