Fender Bender
2921 posts

Re: Which Adventurer is more Adventurous?

[ Edited ]
Jul 25, 2014

both are fictional worlds. cmon.

if you ask me. both games were too generic. and boring and repetitive. 

Message 11 of 17 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1990 posts

Jul 26, 2014

GrayGargoyle wrote:

The problem here with your comparison is... I'm not sure I'd call either one of these characters an "adventurer." Jak is not someone whose goals are specifically to explore the great unknown. Him and Daxter just happened to unluckily bump into trouble one day, which winds up transforming Daxter into the furry critter he's become. Due to this incident, he's placed on a quest toward curing his friend. Along the way the story develops and ultimately even more unfortunate things happen (including Jak getting his own dose of Dark Eco powers).

Nathan Drake, on the other hand, isn't someone who's really looking for what's out there. He's into old relics. And where he goes trouble also happens to either be there or convinces him to swipe these rare artifacts for their own benefit. He's a victim of precarious scenarios with his vast knowledge of these antiquities. While he's kind of a greedy guy in his own ways, Nathan's consideration for the preservation of these precious items is what makes the viewer sort of look the other way. Then again, there is also the fact that originally Nathan was seeking out his ancestry from the start.

Well I wouldn't say adventures have to do with exploring the unkown. I think having uknown territory involved is good even if it is an additive. Jak and Daxter explore the world for a way to change Daxter back into what he used to be, not knowing for sure what obstacles are ahead of them. That sounds pretty darn adventurous if you ask me. Plus they go on adventures not caring how dangerous it is in jak II and 3 in order to save the world. They go into tombs, the sewers, mines, metal head nest, desert, ... wow never noticed how expansive their adventure really was haha.

Yeah Nathan sure is a case when it comes to respect for character haha. Hm... well thats one of the things I was worried about Nathan, his greed gives him an alternate willpower source for adventuring. I want to say that it only burdens his chances at beating this match up slightly. Nathan always tries to save the world and ignores his greed in the end.

Then again think of the ways he sets himself up. In part 1 he travels with sully in quest of a relic from a lost civilization. A civilization that was doing pretty well and then died out sounds a bit sketchy, but his greed made him ignore it which will damage his ability to appear truly adventurous. In part 2 he stole an artifact with some people he felt he could trust, then at some point was kind of running from them (point is it was a race he didn't get in on in purpose, but stayed). In part 3 he was trying to, again, race another faction for a treasure. His greed is GREATLY shown in Uncharted 3 when he ignores Sir Frances' warnings

Oh these alternate inspirations are so darn annoying. We need to figure out what IS an adventure and what inspirations are okay with it? WHAT IS the spirit of adventure?

I would argue that an adventure is the product of a quest that requires being in great danger, being in unsafe locations, and having one's will tested.

According to Dictionary.com, an adventure is an exciting or unusual experience and many of the other definition involve danger. If this is true... does this mean that something like Ripley's encounter with xenomorphs in the movie Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, and Alien Ressurection are each adventures? 

Well if I can confirm one thing, an adventure is definitely something that makes someone think twice about if the prize is really worth the danger. In the end its all a gamble. The problem here is does the gamble count if the gamble isn't purposely made... 

Okay, how about its + points for consciously starting the adventure, but its even more + points for going through with the danger for the prize? (I'm not trying to inspire a point system, its more of a concept)

Oh, but what of the times when it gets personal like in Uncharted 1 when Elena is kidnapped..... *sigh* I'm done brainstorming for now. What do you guys think?

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 12 of 17 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1990 posts

Jul 28, 2014

@BlueMedz 

@ossiecastro5 

I'll start thinking of another thread I guess, what did you like about this one? I noticed you said it was good. Please point out the good qualities.

Heck maybe we can think of a new one together

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 13 of 17 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Jul 28, 2014

Gamefreak_09 wrote:

@BlueMedz 

@ossiecastro5 

I'll start thinking of another thread I guess, what did you like about this one? I noticed you said it was good. Please point out the good qualities.

The idea of this entire thread was unique. You asked and started a discussion that involved people to vote to see which was more adventuerous. You set up this thread with good detail and background for each character, as well as showing how they were precisily.

There is a bunch of ideas that can be made from this. Which warrior is more savage? Which hero was more friendly? Which forgotten game should make a comeback? Which villian deserves his own game?!

This is only if you want. 

Message 14 of 17 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1990 posts

Thinking of the Next thread...

[ Edited ]
Jul 29, 2014

ossiecastro5 wrote:

Gamefreak_09 wrote:

@BlueMedz 

@ossiecastro5 

The idea of this entire thread was unique. You asked and started a discussion that involved people to vote to see which was more adventuerous. You set up this thread with good detail and background for each character, as well as showing how they were precisily.

There is a bunch of ideas that can be made from this. Which warrior is more savage? Which hero was more friendly? Which forgotten game should make a comeback? Which villian deserves his own game?!

This is only if you want. 

alright thanks! Which deserves a comeback... I like that one! I'll greatly consider that one along with the villian one!

oh, how was the layout of the OP?

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 15 of 17 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
212 posts

Jul 29, 2014

That Jak And Dexter. 

Message 16 of 17 (75 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
987 posts

Jul 29, 2014

When I think Drake, I think Indiana Jones. I have to give this one to Drake.

Message 17 of 17 (64 Views)
0 Likes