Jan 13 2013
By: mech01tech01 Splicer 47 posts

Where do I buy the good stuff?

3 replies 149 views Edited Jan 13, 2013

I've done a lot of computer repair work on my own for a long time. Home computers, laptops are easy to me now. Fixing, re-building and new builds are nothing new to me. Once gaming consoles began looking more like computers I turned my attention to these item too. My newest challenge has me looking for PARTS. There a lot of places online selling components for gaming systems, but I want to find stuff made for the PlayStation that is new and guaranteed. I see that I can buy all kinds of accessories for the PS through Sony, but what about the repair and upgrade parts? Are there any tinkers out there that can point me in a good direction and help me avoid the junk?

Message 1 of 4 (149 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29177 posts

Re: Where do I buy the good stuff?

[ Edited ]
Jan 13, 2013

Sony doesn't sell parts. Reason being is that they want to prevent people from doing exactly what you're attempting. Despite what many believe, the PS3 was never intended to be like a PC, at least in the capacity that you can swap out parts willy-nilly. Doing so voids whatever warranty you have. It was also never intended to be upgraded.

Message 2 of 4 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1759 posts

Jan 13, 2013

You need to goto a local tv/electronics parts place they can order anything you want.

They have special accounts with sony to be able to get the parts.

Or you can google ps3 repair in your area and get the parts from that person.

Message 3 of 4 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
47 posts

Jan 20, 2013

Ok, I think I need to clarify my intentions. When I said that I like to do work on electronics, I didn't mean that I like to do unnecessary work or modifications. My real love is to breathe life into damaged or destroyed objects. My latest project was to resuscitate an old "fat" PS3. The previous owner couldn't get it to do anything other than play DVD movies. So far I have replaced the old corrupted hard drive; updated the software; cleaned 5 years of dust off the mother board and replaced the thermal grease. I've stopped the overheating issues; have a smoother running system and kept YLOD at bay. Now the last step in brining this device back from the brink is to replace the burned out blu-ray lens. Since I'm interested in returning this system to it's original glory the way that Sony intended, I don't want to put junk parts into a great system. I admire Sony for what they do and don't want to discredit them.

Message 4 of 4 (92 Views)
0 Likes